BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I am minding my business on a local highway with the windows down, music up and enjoying a beautiful Florida day, when to my delight an 06 M3 gets on behind me.

After a few moments we found ourselves playing cat and mouse, safely. It was nice to find another M on the road with the same playful mood.

After about 7ish minutes of driving, I noticed that my exit was coming up soon. I planned to give a wave to the other driver wishing him a great day. But wait, is that a toll coming up? I guess that was the thoughts of the drivers in front of me because all of a sudden the traffic slowed dramatically. I slowed down appropriately and came to a full stop. The M3 behind me did the same. I guess the American Coach bus a few cars back didn't get the memo.

Needless to say, he hit a cab in front of him, who then hit the beautiful M3, which slid (he had the brakes on hard) in to my rear and hearing all of this happen, I pressed hard on the brakes and after impact the car chirped forward about 3 feet. I was able to avoid to hitting the car in front of me.

I felt real bad for the M3 driver because his car, an 06, only had 3k on it. He is going to attempt to have the insurance company "total" the car. Even if they fix it completely, he knows that he is going to take a hit on the resale. The car is without a doubt going to have a blemish on the carfax. I wished him well and was very lucky I didnt have more damage on my rear end.

So, I hit a u-turn and headed home. Seems like I jumped in the car to head to the accident and go back home.

Sorry for the crappy pics, took them with the iPhone. Not bad for a celly.

·
Registered
114 Posts
aghh geez I cant look at the pics no more....... Sorry 'bout the accident, i am glad it wasnt super bad though. Hope the driver of the m3 does get the insurance to total it out and hope your beast gets as good as new.

Had a similar thing happen to me last august. The same thing happened in the lane next to mine but one of the cars upon impact decided why limit all the damage to one lane and slid over into my right feneder luckily my insurance stepped up for me with a new fender and respray of the hood and the whole right side of the car. They did all the dealing with the insurance of the car that was at fault and I had a check two months later for what i was out of pocket due to the accident.

·
Registered
3,098 Posts
It sure looks like the front of the M3 had a lot more damage than the rear of the beast?

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
Sorry to see this. I was on the highway just a few minutes ago, I think about you car and the M3 and it makes me mad.

Best of luck with the car.

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
If you are in contact with the M3 driver, have him look up "diminished value" claims with insurance. HIS insurance will say they don't pay it- this will be up to him to press the issue and file the claim against the people that hit him- but the costs involved to fix his car, plus the diminished value- may be enough to convince them to total it.

GL

A

·
Registered
632 Posts
Hope the driver of the m3 does get the insurance to total it out and hope your beast gets as good as new.
Total the M3? Doesn't look that bad at all, maybe a new hood, front and rear bumper, but that's about it?

Amazing that your M5 rear bumper really got off with just a few scratches - was it pushed forward or will a respray suffice?

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Total the M3? Doesn't look that bad at all, maybe a new hood, front and rear bumper, but that's about it?
Yeah, the damage wasnt anything ridiculous is the diminished value (Thanks Ard) that he is most upset about.

Amazing that your M5 rear bumper really got off with just a few scratches - was it pushed forward or will a respray suffice?
After I got bumped, I looked in my rear view mirror and saw the front end of his car. I was sure I would have more damage, even a dented trunk. Seems just cosmetic scratches on the bumper and the small lip under the trunk lid.

The bumper didnt even move forward, so my guess is that they will just refinish it and spray. The lip under the trunk lid though isnt like they can just replace, what are they going to do? Bondo?

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Was this the Bee Line?
Yeah, 528 heading West at mile marker 7. Right in front of that water skiing park.

I am kind of surprised that it did happen on 528, the traffic really isnt THAT bad, I thought something like this would have happened Westbound on 408 from downtown. That toll is a freakin nightmare.

·
13,589 Posts
Yeah, 528 heading West at mile marker 7. Right in front of that water skiing park.

I am kind of surprised that it did happen on 528, the traffic really isnt THAT bad, I thought something like this would have happened Westbound on 408 from downtown. That toll is a freakin nightmare.
I disagree....the tourists driving around that area make it a veritable nightmare

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I disagree....the tourists driving around that area make it a veritable nightmare
Yeah, I see your point. I dont drive 528 too much. I wont head into downtown on 408 if I know I cant make my way out by 3:00. (eastbound) I only do it when I have to. I have nearly gotten rear-ended a few times there.

Ahh, its going to be so nice when that express lane construction is done! :M5launch:

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Glad you both are okay.

I would never "underestimate" the cosmetic damage. I've seen many cars back in the day that seems to have minor damage, but after the work commenced the repair shop started to uncover more and more damage.

I am more worried about the chassis-damage as you mentioned that the M3 guys was braking hard trying to avoid hitting you.

Regardz,

J Irwan

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I am more worried about the chassis-damage as you mentioned that the M3 guys was braking hard trying to avoid hitting you.
Not sure if you can tell from the pictures, but the trunk lid on the M3 is also bent. The gap that runs along the top left is bent up and the gap is wider on that side than the other. Its definitely going to cost some $$$ to repair.

·
13,589 Posts
Yeah, I see your point. I dont drive 528 too much. I wont head into downtown on 408 if I know I cant make my way out by 3:00. (eastbound) I only do it when I have to. I have nearly gotten rear-ended a few times there.

Ahh, its going to be so nice when that express lane construction is done! :M5launch:
I hear ya, thats why I dont daily drive my beast anymore...

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
If I was the owner of the M3, I would be talking to the bus company about providing me with another M3.

The bus company will simply refer you over to their insurance company whom is probably already involved with the accident at this point. They will probably act like an auto insurance company and simply pay for the repairs.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts