BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was zipping up 101 to run an errand at lunchtime and I note the car starting to pull to the right. I moved over and, there being no decent place to stop, got off at the next exit and found some parking room.

Right front tire flat. Oh well, open the trunk and pull out the compressor and plug it in and hook up the hose and push the button and...it comes squirting out through a crack at the base of the valvestem!

grrrrrrr

So the M Blow Me Kit worked exactly as intended, but all it did was to leave a big puddle of BMW Tire Ejaculate sitting on the pavement. Not much help.

Get out the AAA card and call for a flatbed. Fortunately, I wasn't far from Custom Alignment; the Pilot Sport was junk from having been driven on flat (as I'd pretty much figured) but we were able to scrounge a worn-out 235/40-18 Boxster tire out of the heap of carcasses so that I didn't have to take the train back to the office.

So, time to get a new tire ordered...

·
Registered
694 Posts

·
Registered
931 Posts
I don't bother with the 'Blow Me Kit'!
Get a spare front rim with a uni-directional tire, small jack, breaker bar, and socket for lug nuts. Now, although it is a DIY, you don't have to wait for AAA or tow truck. Less than five minutes and you are back on your way. Sure it takes up space, but that is a small price to pay....

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ocean's M5 said:
I'm sure you know about "tic" marks on the wheels and the problem of centrivical force?
The car's going to be getting new wheels in the near future and I'd expect I'll be putting metal valve stems in there.

·
Registered
2,997 Posts
AAA?

Why not just use the free bmw tow service?

·
Registered
2,997 Posts
JEM said:
Free BMW tow service? My BMW roadside service ran out almost four years ago.
ok

·
Registered
193 Posts
JEM said:
open the trunk and pull out the compressor and plug it in and hook up the hose and push the button and...it comes squirting out through a crack at the base of the valvestem!
Sounds like BMW is using the "withdrawal method" to prevent the tire from becoming impregnated with the mobility fluid.

·
10,455 Posts
JEM said:
Free BMW tow service? My BMW roadside service ran out almost four years ago.
You know, I thought i remember reading somewhere that all M cars with no spares have lifetime roadside assistance for flat tires... seriously!
And, my SA did say the kit is covered under the scheduled maintanence (which ended for me in 2003, just when my kit "expired").
Mike

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
JEM said:
Was zipping up 101 to run an errand at lunchtime and I note the car starting to pull to the right. I moved over and, there being no decent place to stop, got off at the next exit and found some parking room.
Interesting, you didn't mention if the tire warning system alerted you??? hmmm
Noticed it was a front tire which gives me more concern. My M5 sees a lot of autobahn use and the warning system does not monitor rear wheel condition at most speeds I drive. Luckily the ony alerts I have gotten were because the servicing dealer did not calibrate the system at delivery.

The other 'strange' part of this, BMW did not install the German toll free number for roadside assist on my M5 that was on my previous BMWs. However, I imagine that ADAC (same as AAA) would be faster in coming to my aid than a dealer, especially after normal work hours. :flag:
Ken

·
Registered
5,226 Posts
So you have been blown by the blow me system! I have seen the system work on more than one occasion. I still believe the little compressors and tire goo you can purchase at any auto parts store for $40 will do the same thing and take up a whole lot less room in the trunk area.

Now about the warning system. Did you not get an alert? Please tell me you did not ignore it. Mine has worked very well over the years if I set it when I was suppose to.

Mark

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
kwalls said:
Interesting, you didn't mention if the tire warning system alerted you??? hmmm :flag:
Hadn't thought about it, but no, I got no 'tire defect' indication. I'll have to check that out.

In any case, the tire went flat quickly enough that the indicator wouldn't have helped.

·
Registered
530 Posts
I just keep loving this board more and more.

I read the referenced thread on valve stem wear [tic marks], and if you didn't read it, do so!!! It is a real safety concern if you drive at any agressive or high speed level.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
JEM said:
In any case, the tire went flat quickly enough that the indicator wouldn't have helped.
Well, after I had several warnings and later when I discovered it was caused from the system not being calibrated, I ran some tests to see how sensitive the system was.

True, I wasn't there to experience first hand how yours happened and it is also true the system does not work on a drop of pressure in any given tire. It does however compute rolling variations between tires after calibration to alert the driver when something changes (ie low pressure affecting tire circumference).
I purposely reduced the tire pressure by a few psi in one or two tires to see if the system could detect this. It was always able to do so, what I don’t know is the speed at which detections begins so as to allow you time to get out of the fast lane to the shoulder for the obvious.

This later is my concern should I experience tire failure at speed in the left lane and a line of trucks in the right, the process of getting stopped could be tough. grrrrrrr
Worse yet if it should be a rear while at speed, my first indication will be when the nose won't point correctly down the road :haha:
Ken

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
kwalls said:
Worse yet if it should be a rear while at speed, my first indication will be when the nose won't point correctly down the road :haha:
Therein lies the rub, and the real benefit of the system.

I'd bet that in many cases on a decently smooth road in a straight line you might not feel a rear go down, until you try to turn and find out the rear isn't following the front anymore.

When I get four matched tires back on the car, I'll check all my pressures and recalibrate the thing.

I've now got a new set of wheels ordered, but they're going to take ~3-4wks to get assembled and shipped, hate to pay to have the new tire mounted on the existing wheels only to move it in a month...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts