BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So today I got my hands on an '08 BMW M5. The owner purchased it less than a month ago, but though it needed some extra TLC so he could fully love the exterior. I took on the challenge with hopes that I could do this for him. My goal was to bring this thing back to make him not just " like" his M5 but "love" his M5. 10 Hrs later and, I may have gotten the job done..:xyxthumbs:

Products used:

GG6
Meguiars Super Soap
Sonax FE and IRON X for the wheels
Megs APC for tires and wheel wells
Cut compound and Yellow LC flat pad for correction
Griots Garage Pre-wax Cleanser
Dura Gloss 601
Dura Gloss 105 on polishing pad
Chemical Guys Pete's 53 wax as LSP.

Here are a few pics:

On drop off

Wheel cleaning time. Sonax FE at work

Somewhat clean.. Time for Iron X

Clay time

Time to put these DA's to work

50/50 Shots

Scratch Before

Scratch after

Upper door pnl and scratch before

After

Time to open the garage to check my work after Correction.

Sun shot of hood to show swirl removal

M5 now polished. Pre LSP

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

Pulled back in the garage and its Pete's 53 time

Thanks for looking everyone!

·
Registered
6,918 Posts
What technique did you use to remove the scratches? I have way too many scratches and my car deserves better.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I used a Griots Garage 6 Dual action buffer with HD Cut Compound and Lake Country yellow flat pad. Then time and patience.. :)

·
Registered
153 Posts
:eek::eek:oohhh::eek::eek:oohhh::eek::eek:oohhh::eek::eek:oohhh::eek::eek:oohhh:

DUDE!! You RAWK!! Awesome work...and perfect timing on this, too. I also have too many swirl marks (and factory orange peel) in the Carbon Black Metallic paint on the 2010 M5 I recently acquired, and have been leery about having them polished out due to what I was told by a buddy who owns the only body shop I trust here. He told me that the Glassurit paint that BMW puts on our beasts is normally shot so thin that there's too high of a chance of burning through the finish on "high spots" in the paint, and recommended I just give it a "real nice detail" and deal with how it looks after that. But after seeing your pics I see that my buddy is apparently under-informed (doubtful), full of crap (entirely possible) or just not interested in taking one of his body/paint guys away from their usual daily work...in a VERY busy shop...just to spend half a day with a buffer and my car (most likely).

My main point being that I see now that it IS possible to have my beast looking like it's wearing a tailored Armani suit like it should! Now I just need to find a detailer with mad skillz like yours here in Phoenix. And if I can't, I'll have to plan on heading to Vegas a day or two earlier than planned in May (gonna run the Nevada Open Road Challenge again this year...heh) to have you work your magic on it. Unless you know of anyone in Phoenix.....???? :biggrinbounce:

All that aside, though....VERY nice work! You definitely appear to have "the touch".

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
:eek::eek:oohhh::eek::eek:oohhh::eek::eek:oohhh::eek::eek:oohhh::eek::eek:oohhh:

DUDE!! You RAWK!! Awesome work...and perfect timing on this, too. I also have too many swirl marks (and factory orange peel) in the Carbon Black Metallic paint on the 2010 M5 I recently acquired, and have been leery about having them polished out due to what I was told by a buddy who owns the only body shop I trust here. He told me that the Glassurit paint that BMW puts on our beasts is normally shot so thin that there's too high of a chance of burning through the finish on "high spots" in the paint, and recommended I just give it a "real nice detail" and deal with how it looks after that. But after seeing your pics I see that my buddy is apparently under-informed (doubtful), full of crap (entirely possible) or just not interested in taking one of his body/paint guys away from their usual daily work...in a VERY busy shop...just to spend half a day with a buffer and my car (most likely).

My main point being that I see now that it IS possible to have my beast looking like it's wearing a tailored Armani suit like it should! Now I just need to find a detailer with mad skillz like yours here in Phoenix. And if I can't, I'll have to plan on heading to Vegas a day or two earlier than planned in May (gonna run the Nevada Open Road Challenge again this year...heh) to have you work your magic on it. Unless you know of anyone in Phoenix.....???? :biggrinbounce:

All that aside, though....VERY nice work! You definitely appear to have "the touch".
Thank you sir for the kind words :M5thumbs:. I have a true love for BMW's and I am a part of EUROSQUAD (Mainly BMW car club), so I have a chance to touch a lot of BMW paint. This includes my 01 530i which I bought with trashed Jet Black paint. I put over 45+ hours of practice to restore my 13 year old paint to a liquid shine. Since then I have used that base to restore the lost shine on quite a few vehicles. :)

I recently picked up a new machine which is the Ferrari of buffers so hopefully I can take my work to the next level.

If you are unable to find someone in your local area, I would be happy to put your beast in that Armani suit. Till then if you have any questions or just want to keep up with what I am doing, I have a page on FB where I document my major correction jobs ect. http://www.facebook.com/thelastdetailnv

Good luck sir. Hopefully you can find someone in your area to get you beast where it needs to be paint wise. Thanks again for the kind words.

·
Registered
976 Posts
I used a Griots Garage 6 Dual action buffer with HD Cut Compound and Lake Country yellow flat pad. Then time and patience.. :)
I didn't know that Griot's sells dual action buffers, I thought they were random orbital only. Where did you get the Griot's D/A from?

Did you also use the buffer to apply the Pete's 53?

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I didn't know that Griot's sells dual action buffers, I thought they were random orbital only. Where did you get the Griot's D/A from?

Did you also use the buffer to apply the Pete's 53?
It is the same one you are thinking of. Griot's Garage 6 inch Random Orbital Polisher, Dual action buffer, DA polisher It is called dual action due to the manner in which the pad rotates. Just like my Flex 3401, it has a forced rotation setup but it is also a dual action orbital polisher. Dual action just means that as the pad spins, it also moves up and down; reducing the heat build-up in one spot. Overall, just makes it safer on paint. I think Griot's just wanted to do something different with the name and just threw in "Random" instead of "Dual Action" like everyone else. Awesome machine though. I have a Flex 3401 as well and my GG6 is going nowhere I still love using it.

No sir. I applied the Pete's 53 by hand since it is in solid form.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Random orbital and D/A's are different systems. Your Flex is a D/A.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Pretty sure it is a D/A. It is even in their breakdown

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

I am willing to learn. Please educate me on the different systems. I would like a breakdown on the GG6 to show exactly why it is not a D/A. I am unable to PM due to low post count.

·
Registered
976 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
This will explain much better than I can: Orbital Polisher Vs. Dual Action Polisher | eHow
Thank you for that information, but this clearly solidifies my opinion on the GG6 being a DUAL ACTION buffer.

Excerpt from the Ehow Article -

Options
Dual action machines offer more options than orbital polishers in two respects. Generally, orbital polishers operate at only a single speed. Dual action buffers, on the other hand, operate at various speeds. A single dual action buffer contains a number of speed settings, to meet various needs. Also, dual action buffers come with multiple types of pads, which you can easily remove and replace, allowing you to complete a complex job or series of jobs easily with one machine. You can remove and replace pads on orbital polishers, as well, but it takes more time and proves more difficult. I understand that they omit the dual action in the name of it, but in the product information it states that is is "Dual-Action 2,500 - 6,800 Orbits Per Minute". Maybe I am just crazy.

I believe you are thinking too deeply/trying too hard into this to prove a point. I can see you know your stuff based on your work, but you may need to re-think your opinion on this. If the GG6 was solely an orbital polisher I would not be able to remove swirls and scratches with it. I have clearly done this with the GG6.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Whatever you think...go for it then.

·
Registered
98 Posts
What technique did you use to remove the scratches? I have way too many scratches and my car deserves better.
Im in NY if you ever need my services. I offer the same. check out my thread on the NorthEast sub forum, I have done about 5 M5's in the pas 3 weeks and a whole lot of other //M's and exotics. follow me on instagram @EnthusiastDetails or text/call 646-470-9343 or E mail [email protected]
check out my small thread on the detail pretty picture heave but forgive me becasue my DSLR camera did not work for some reason when i got there:Thumbdown: so i had to use my iphone camera :Thumbdown: http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/usa-northeast-forum/358466-bmw-m5-interlagos-blue-detailed-enthusiast-details-nyc-picture-heavy.html
Great work on the car guys. Love it.

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Random orbital is essentially the same thing as a D/A.
They move in eccentric circular motion.

Rotary is the other system you are thinking about.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts