BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So tonight, I had my first experience of "Holy ****! This is fun!!" in my M5 (since I haven't been able to drive it much since I got it on Tuesday)... I have been driving around, been on the highway, seen a few heads turn when people realize that the car isn't just another 5-series (which, in Palo Alto, are like Ford Trucks in Texas), but this evening, I knew I was driving an M5.

It wasn't anything spectacular... I was getting onto the freeway behind a line of cars going about 35 mph (which is what it seems the M5 idles at), and as soon as the solid white line stopped, I had 4 lanes of wide open space to giddy-up and go. Now I know that 35mph to "80"mph isn't a commonly taken spec, but it probably should be... I sprinted by the cars that were entering the freeway in front of me like they were standing still, and I let up as soon as I hit "80" (note the quotation marks on the "80"s that I am using here).

Now granted, I haven't had much time in the M5, but after this little experience, I can see how easy it is to catch the bug.

When was the first time you Knew you were driving an M5?

·
Registered
8,153 Posts
When i saw it parked in my garage and im putting 6 coats of zaino :biggrin:

·
Registered
85 Posts
laidbacknags said:
When i saw it parked in my garage and im putting 6 coats of zaino :biggrin:
Ditto, just put on two coats yesterday! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
143 Posts
<doing 165 MPH on I-10 in texas>

I have has my grey M5 for seven months but two weeks ago I went driving out west, heading towards El Paso. I felt the need just take it out sixth just punch it. Next thing I know doing 165 mph. Now the good thing is the previous owner had the speed limiter taken off. :hihi:

Of course no cars on the road. In west texas, and for the folks that live in Texas know that to be true. :hihi:

That is when I know I am driving a M5.

·
In Memoriam
4,624 Posts
The day I bought it (new). I have owned fast cars (like a 1966 911 Coupe), but this was nirvana, even though it wasn't broken-in ... Total quiet, comfort, and control.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Today, I was weaving in and out of highway traffic, wondering why everyone was going so slow. Normally traffic around I-285 goes around 80 MPH. Then, I realize I was doing 100.:dunno:

My last car was an Audi TT, and you could feel it strain around 90 MPH. This is going to take some time to get used to.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
The car doesn't even come alive until you get over 120mph.

When did I realize? When I came up behind/beside the only other vehicle on the road, a transport doing about 100kph (62.5mph). It was like trying to slip by a brick wall without touching it, coming up to that brick wall on the right hand side.... at 170kph (105mph). Miss it by five feet..and thread the eye of the needle.

Then, a fraction of a second later, get SLAMMED (CRACK!/BOOM!) by the wind sheer pouring off the front of the transport. All at an indicated 270kph. (165mph).

Eyes on the road, and hands upon the wheel. Careful out there. The M5 doesn't like cross-winds.

The cross between exhileration and fear. With the M5, for the first time. And the car ...is like a rock.

That's when you know.

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
Following a Ferrari 360 modena down an empty motorway that could not pull away at all.

I was thinking, 'MY car - my SALOON car - is keeping up with a Ferrari in a straight line. Awesome

·
Registered
475 Posts
the day I got my M5

The M5 was and still is one of my dream cars since I was in High school. I mean total obsession. Long story short, the day I bought it and drove it home, it was a feeling I can hardly find words for. I have driven and been in fast cars, but the rush i got from going full throttle pushed back in my oh so comfortable seat, I knew I was driving an M5... and then there was the day I touched the "SPORT" button. :M5thumbs:

·
Banned
283 Posts
Yes I PX my M3 E46 a few years back for a mint 2002 carbon black at the time, after a day or so I was regretting it as the M3 felt much better car, I dident have it long, anyway through the years I have had many cars and I am now back with another 2002 which is like a different car entirely, much much quicker than the old and has the sport button, my old one did not for some bizarre reason, anyway the beast is here to stay....obviously the first one was not running correctly.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Ahhh, yes... bought it in Kentucky, drove it home to California. I was nervous/cautious during the first part of the drive...but slowly we loosened up. Then we got on Hwy 93, a straight open shot from Kingman, AZ to Las Vegas, NV. A crisp Spring evening, we ran like the wind: sunroof open, dusk sky, great music, absolute confidence and comfort at 135 mph. Ahhh, yes...

·
Registered
615 Posts
I was well aware of the power and speed it could do after the trip back from the dealership I bought it from. I realized this car was the shizznit the first time I went fast through a set of twisty corners. I was stuck to the road at 50 MPH (DSP light flashing briefly)through corners I could normally only get through at 20mph in a regular car.
AMAZING

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
I knew I had an M5 the moment the sales guy stopped yacking useless crap like how to work the alarm and air conditioner etc and handed me the keys to the new car I had ordered 16 months earlier.

That was six years ago and I never looked back.

Steve
00 m5

·
Registered
3,740 Posts
TurboCarrera said:
I knew I had an M5 the moment the sales guy stopped yacking useless crap like how to work the alarm and air conditioner etc and handed me the keys to the new car I had ordered 16 months earlier.

That was six years ago and I never looked back.

Steve
00 m5
>>>

Guarandamnteed that, after 16mos, you knew WAY more about that car than the salesman did.

·
Registered
615 Posts
SoCalJD said:
>>>

Guarandamnteed that, after 16mos, you knew WAY more about that car than the salesman did.
I knew more about the car after the first day of owning it than my salesman. He sold new Fords so I guess that explains it.

·
Registered
3,740 Posts
djtroy said:
I knew more about the car after the first day of owning it than my salesman. He sold new Fords so I guess that explains it.
>>>

I've yet to meet a salesman that knew more about the car he was selling than I did. I suppose if I ever *did* I'd buy a car from him/her.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts