BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is weird..... I was just driving the M5 when all of the lights inside/outside along with all instrument lights, radio, NAV, etc... started flashing (not all at the same time though). While this was going on the engine started losing power. I was able to get up a small hill of the narrow two lane road and turn onto a side road and get to the shoulder just as the engine dies. This could have been a bad situation for myself and my kids if it died a 100 yards sooner.
At this point I think the lights were out too. I turned off the key and tried to restart the engine. The engine started right up, I could turn on the lights, etc... I did see that the trip milage went to zero, the no board clock is showing no time and needs to be reset. The radio does have all of it's station settings. It is as if the car rebooted (**** computers, they are going to drive us all crazy). Has any experienced this problem, or have any ideas what this might be. I will be calling my Dealer to have this checked out. What happened to Keep It Simple Stupid?

Thanks, George B.

·
Registered
296 Posts
I believe I know the source of the problem.

Your car was disabled by alien visitors, who transported you to the mother ship for probing and other experiments. Then your memory was erased, which is why you don't remember anything.

Glad I could help.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
FastFwd said:
I believe I know the source of the problem.

Your car was disabled by alien visitors, who transported you to the mother ship for probing and other experiments. Then your memory was erased, which is why you don't remember anything.

Glad I could help.
No, no, no. That is not what happened. Nice try though. This is what I believe happened. A similar thing happened to me on the last full moon after I had integrated iDrive so that I could operate the whole car using a mouse and keypad. (BTW - It works most of the time as long as I hit the right keys hmmm )

Your new electric fan overloaded the system because the under drive pulleys already had put you on the edge of failure. In addition, momentary GFI circuit #23, tripped in accordance with it's design preventing a catastrophic failure of the third kind. :M5eyes:

All this happened while you were traveling :M5launch: approximately 25 meters from a halogen light pole. I checked the weather report. Apparently there was a solar storm whose epicenter was aproximately 2000 outside of Denver. That had an impact I'm sure as BMW electronics are known to be unstable especially in a fluctuating environment.

If it happens again, and you just can't take it anymore, maybe you can trade it for a 2004 4.4 X5. I understand that dealers are giving them away at only about 200 over invoice. :1:

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
........and everytime Mr Bock sees my name, he gets this feeling of de-sha-vue and he doesn't know why. Beware of the red flashy thingy. hiha

·
Registered
296 Posts
Chuckc said:
No, no, no. That is not what happened. Nice try though. This is what I believe happened. A similar thing happened to me on the last full moon after I had integrated iDrive so that I could operate the whole car using a mouse and keypad. (BTW - It works most of the time as long as I hit the right keys hmmm )...
Funny ! hiha
I was thinking the Kelleners pedals might be the problem, particularly the foot rest, but now I see I how wrong I was.

(George, thanks for putting up with the nuttiness. I hope you get a solution to your problem soon.)

Bert

·
Registered
5,227 Posts
Mr_Bock,

I'm thinking bad wax, bad gas, perhaps even the dreaded MAF fouling! :1:

I know, we are no help, but I dare you to take it into the BMW dealer and explain that one to them.

Mark

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Guys, I had some good chuckles from the responces. Aliens, that must have been it.

I talked with the dealer, they said to bring it in and they would look at it for what it's worth. If this is an intermitent problem..... it probably won't be figured out till something totaly fails. Nice.... About a year ago, the car died twice within just a few minutes. No lights flashing, etc, just stoped. That was also before any mods. Then no issues till last night. It was raining both times... I wonder if there is a connection. Have to check this out. Tonight I will run the OBD II diagnostics an see if any codes exist, or if they were erased as were the other memory items.

to be continued.... :M5launch:

·
Registered
530 Posts
:3: Hmmmm. Short of Cosmic Rays I would say either Loose Ground (more likely) or Bad Voltage Regulation (less likely). When alot of electronic systems misbehave at the same time, a common reference point is usually the culprit...

Just my $0.02 worth.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I just ran the OBD II diagnostics and got a DTC error code P0418 and the message: Secondary Air Injection System Relay 'A' Circuit Malfunction.

Don't know if this is the cause or the result of the electronics going heywire. I will be getting this car into the dealer next week and let them sort this out.

In the mean time I will have to drive my 'other' rocket when I pick it up this Friday. The 'other rocket' you ask?... It is a 1996 C2 993 Porsche that just got a supercharger installed. About 400 hp and 1000 Lbs lighter than the M5. :eek: :eek: :eek:

Can't wait to try this out :hihi:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts