BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi All,

Just wanted to make a thread on these cup holders I found on eBay as an alternative to the famous e39 stock cup holders which break every other week. I bought them for around 15$ from eBay, fitment is great and overall quality is superb.

When you receive the new cup holders you will have to remove your stock ones. To install, it fits snug and tight in the stock slot and still maintains access to the cigarette lighter. There is also 3m tape included which you use to fasten the cup holders tight to the deck.

Here is a few quick pictures after I installed mine after having broken stock holders for weeks.

I recommend anyone to this product if they are looking for a quality, cheap solution to the stock e39 cup holders.

Thanks

A

Link to the product

http://www.ebay.com/itm/161140727119?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

·
Registered
6,014 Posts
sweet!
Do these secure and let out by push like the stock version?

No, those stay as pictured all of the time.

PLEASE NOTE THAT I DO NOT OWN AN M5 AND THIS POST IS NOT INTENDED TO BE ARROGANT. PLEASE READ THE IMPORTANT REVISED DISCLAIMER THAT APPLIES TO THIS POST

·
Registered
454 Posts
I have the same ones love them!!

·
Registered
1,617 Posts

·
Registered
473 Posts
My car came with a set like in the OP. I thought it was factory at first. I even mounted the jack for my AUX input to the cupholder, just behind the lighter socket.

·
Registered
3,602 Posts
To me it seems pointless since they really aren't deep enough to prevent a bevvy from tipping over.

·
Registered
3,273 Posts
I commented in a thread months ago where someone had posted a pic of this product. I bought it back then, but just installed it this past Sunday. This is a must have item. 500% better than stock. The OEM assembly does not need to be removed. Maybe the OP had to b/c his were broken and in the way? It's a 10 second install. Order one today so you can forget about the stock setup forever. It actually looks stock.

·
Registered
554 Posts
I wouldn't really recommend these. I have them and they rattle. If you do get them, make sure you install some sort of gasket on the bottom to they sit snugly. Even still, it is an awkward location to have your cups because it blocks half the AC controls, you're fairly limited on the size of what you put there, and a cup in the left holder can interrupt shifting somewhat. I'd say get the Ultimate Cupholders and call it a day.

·
Registered
473 Posts
To me it seems pointless since they really aren't deep enough to prevent a bevvy from tipping over.
I've had large cups from McD's, Subway, etc in mine. If you stick it in the left depression it's almost exactly the right size; the cup blocks the AC controls but that's the price of a cold drink I guess. Honestly if you tip the drink you're going to fast to have liquid in the car IMO.

I wouldn't really recommend these. I have them and they rattle. If you do get them, make sure you install some sort of gasket on the bottom to they sit snugly. Even still, it is an awkward location to have your cups because it blocks half the AC controls, you're fairly limited on the size of what you put there, and a cup in the left holder can interrupt shifting somewhat. I'd say get the Ultimate Cupholders and call it a day.
I had mine out to do the AUX install; put some new 3M foam double-sided tape on the bottoms of both cupholder areas, stuck it down, and it hasn't moved or made a sound since. :shrugs:

Just my $.02

·
Registered
3,273 Posts
I wouldn't really recommend these. I have them and they rattle.
Odd. The set I bought off eBay has two large squares of 2x-sided sticky tape already installed on the bottom of each depression. Peel tape off...push into position...silence.

Yours had no tape?

·
Registered
797 Posts
At first glance I thought this was like the one I have: a sheet of plastic with two holes cut into it. But this is formed and has deeper pockets to hold the drinks. Right? This would be much better as I don't trust my replacement cup holder with anything more than a half full can of Dew.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I have a pair of these -- Ultimate Cupholders - Cup holders for 5 Series and 7 Series BMW, Z4, Porsche Boxster / Porsche 911 996, Mercedes, Audi, Acura NSX and other fine cars. The ultimate cup holder / cupholder! -- I really like their placement. They stay completely out of the way, and you can store a cell phone + charger in front of the gear shifter now.
I have a set of these for the front seats and am going to get 2 more for the rear seats. They are so versatile and placement can move to fit the situation. And the best part--it doesn't require any permanent mounting or interfere with the other limit space available (like the original cup holder area noted above.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Odd. The set I bought off eBay has two large squares of 2x-sided sticky tape already installed on the bottom of each depression. Peel tape off...push into position...silence.

Yours had no tape?
It had tape centered in the middle of the cupholder parts only. It has side to side play after the tape has probably loosened some. I think if you had a foam ring to seat it it would be more snug and then never rattle, but I honestly don't want them any more anyway since I got the ultimates and that position to hold a drink is just clumsy anyway.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts