BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

121 - 140 of 1182 Posts

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Mark [email protected]
if -575- is supposed to be the production order number then the number shud be LOWER then the actual VIN not higher !! -
I will sent you a build-sheet-copy but as said I wud need a FAX-number or
an e-mail address (I can not scan a copy thru this forum's mailing system as far as I know) -
did you purchase the car from -Joe Clegg- ?
-
it is a rare 'granitsilber,met.' (237M), only 26 manufactured in that colour,
non-sunroof (rare) and 'antrazit cloth seats -
prod. date April 27th 1993, first registration on June 8th 1993 -
-
[email protected]
where does this mileage, de-badge and LHD+15 bhp stuff come from -
have I missed something ? :byebye:
-
Mark [email protected]/[email protected]
listen to -Frank- and check your turbine-covers, they are marked -right/left-
and are supposed to point in the correct direction (for optimized brake-cooling airflow, i.e. this is NOT only cosmetic) :nono:
-
brgds
Karl
(Global E34 M5touring registry)

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
M5touring reg said:
Mark [email protected]
if -575- is supposed to be the production order number then the number shud be LOWER then the actual VIN not higher !! -
I will sent you a build-sheet-copy but as said I wud need a FAX-number or
an e-mail address (I can not scan a copy thru this forum's mailing system as far as I know) -
did you purchase the car from -Joe Clegg- ?
-
it is a rare 'granitsilber,met.' (237M), only 26 manufactured in that colour,
non-sunroof (rare) and 'antrazit cloth seats -
prod. date April 27th 1993, first registration on June 8th 1993 -
-
[email protected]
where does this mileage, de-badge and LHD+15 bhp stuff come from -
have I missed something ? :byebye:
-
Mark [email protected]/[email protected]
listen to -Frank- and check your turbine-covers, they are marked -right/left-
and are supposed to point in the correct direction (for optimized brake-cooling airflow, i.e. this is NOT only cosmetic) :nono:
-
brgds
Karl
(Global E34 M5touring registry)
Hi Karl

All this information came from the original eBay advert. http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI....AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1

Where the guy suggests that the LHD cars had an additional 15 BHP because the exhaust did not need to be re-routed as for RHD cars. Since BMW quote the same for LHD and RHD cars this is puzzling, and yes I know that the figure that is quoted is meant to be the lowest that should be attained I seem to remember reading on another thread that E34 rarely made the full 340 BHP closer to 338 BHP.

if you read the text the previous owner states that there is an additional 14,000 KM over and above the milage on the dashboard because and I quote "(plus aprox 14,000 km because the first owner had the speedometer changed under warranty). " But since these are separate items this does not make sense to me.

Finally I like the car de-badged as it safer that way especially when you drive your car all over the place. Most assume that I added the 18" wheels until they look at the brakes;)

I just wanted to make sure that Mark got the full picture. As these are fantastic cars and great fun, if expensive after all it was a £60,000+ car and that was for the saloon!, to own.

Enjoy the car Mark.

Brgds Simon

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
[email protected]
thanks for the input and explanation, much appreciated, I did not keep that record ! if the dash-board was indeed changed under warranty, in that case BMW is able to provide an information on this, when and what was done,
by home (BMW-work-shop) and perhaps also why -
Mark shud contact the BMW GB-customer-service, if that fails perhaps I can help, BUT that shud not really be necessary. Let us know how it goes, Mark,
IF you want to know :)
-
340 bhp EEC > 347 bhp DIN -
15 bhp less as result of a RHD-exhaust ?? is the RHD-exhaust indeed different ?? who can tell if BMW doesn't ?? :byebye:

·
Registered
81 Posts
RHD Exhaust manifolds (headers) are different to LHD due to Steering Box Location.

Same with E30 M3 and theyre famous for losing power when converted to RHD.

Paul

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Infinicar said:
RHD Exhaust manifolds (headers) are different to LHD due to Steering Box Location.

Same with E30 M3 and theyre famous for losing power when converted to RHD.

Paul
Hi Paul

Long time no speak!:byebye:

How is the car going as I know you were going to sell it at one time to fubd further business expansion.

THe only thing I was questioning about this 15 BHP missing is are we saying that LHD cars make up to 355 BHP! As the figure of 340 BHP quoted for our cars should be treated as a minimum.

Surely this cannot be right, I agree the the convertion may take some horsepower out of the equation. But I think BMW would have investigated this when they converted the cars.

I agree the E30 M3 lost a large amount of power around 20 BHP if I remember rightly but that was never converted by BMW that was an after market conversion, if memory serves me by Birds in Uxbridge and the manifold had a tortourus route to mate to the exhaust.

Since other have spoken about the power these cars produced when new and that there wasa question mark over the amount of power that was produced (apparently a good 3.8 should produce around 338 - 335) This would put a RHD model at around 323 - 320 still a useful amount.

But I could be mistaken still whatever the horsepower still a fantastic car.

brgds

Simon

·
Registered
145 Posts
number 632 reporting

Hi,

Announcing number 632. Its a diamond black car registered on the 23 of November 1993. Just bought it a couple of days ago. And I have quite a bit to ask about the car. Till now I've been a keen VAG enthusiast but decided I wanted to have something different. So here she is.

and http://www.locomail.com/niko/mycorradoweb/m5touring/

She needs a bit of work as she's been mistreated severely by the previous owner. I got her fairly cheaply but when a new gearbox, cardanwell, and engine trembling problem have been fixed it will ahve added up.

I'm in Finland and have to get accustomed to the lack of grip as compared to the quattro audi's I've had so far ( rs2, 2x s4) but I have an old winter beater audi 90 quattro when conditions get too severe.

Its late atm in this neck of the woods so I'll sign off for now:byee55amg

Niko

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
EPDM said:
Hi,

Announcing number 632. Its a diamond black car registered on the 23 of November 1993. Just bought it a couple of days ago. And I have quite a bit to ask about the car. Till now I've been a keen VAG enthusiast but decided I wanted to have something different. So here she is.

and http://www.locomail.com/niko/mycorradoweb/m5touring/

She needs a bit of work as she's been mistreated severely by the previous owner. I got her fairly cheaply but when a new gearbox, cardanwell, and engine trembling problem have been fixed it will ahve added up.

I'm in Finland and have to get accustomed to the lack of grip as compared to the quattro audi's I've had so far ( rs2, 2x s4) but I have an old winter beater audi 90 quattro when conditions get too severe.

Its late atm in this neck of the woods so I'll sign off for now:byee55amg

Niko
-
welcome to the crowd Niko,
the number of M5tourings in Finland is steaduly increasing -
I will check if this car was previously registered and thus I have a history
on it, otherwise I have the build-sheet for the car for you if you are interested, if so I wud need a fax-number or an e-mail-address to send it to -
what is the mileage, any upgrades, changes or still standard ???
brgds
Karl

·
Registered
53 Posts
#465 is in Sweden

Is there a possibility that someone has added this car to registry before?
Anyways, I am in the process of buying this car and have sent Karl a query by email for build sheet and other info.

It is an Avusblau car anyways, still in very original condition and seems to be the car for me. It has covered some 180K kms but have had its engine replaced at around 90K kms in Belgium.

Further info would be greatly appreciated!
Best regards
/Micke

Attachments

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
6-10 said:
Anyways, I am in the process of buying this car and have sent Karl a query by email for build sheet and other info.

It is an Avusblau car anyways, still in very original condition and seems to be the car for me. It has covered some 180K kms but have had its engine replaced at around 90K kms in Belgium.

Best regards
/Micke
-
[email protected]
have you send me an e-mail ?? when ??
the car looks nice indeed on the picture but most of them do - to check a registry-entryI wud naturally need the VIN -
generally speaking = be careful with cars in/from Belgien (until not too long ago it was not even required to have a driving licence to drive a car in Belgium ;)
I will watch out for your e-mail to arrive -
brgds
Karl

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
6-10 said:

Best regards
/Micke
Well good luck hope she is all you expect and hopefully welcome to the group.

Simon

·
Registered
53 Posts
Thanx!

Simonal said:
Well good luck hope she is all you expect and hopefully welcome to the group.

Simon
:byebye: I already feel welcome!
And I sure do hope the car is in a reasonable condition without too much expenses to expect. I already know that the clutch needs replacing, but that is not a huge cost. What im more worried about is the Vanos and possibly EDC units. I mean, restoring the top end on an M5 3.8 probably will cost as much as the car itself...
BR /Micke

·
Registered
34 Posts
M5touring reg said:
-
Karl,

Yes, you have it already. I was trying my best consulting Niko in the purchase process, and I hope all goes well with the so far unsolved tech problems in the car. Btw, you can also see my Touring in the gallery pics that Niko linked here.

Jussi

·
Registered
47 Posts
6-10 said:
And I sure do hope the car is in a reasonable condition without too much expenses to expect. I already know that the clutch needs replacing, but that is not a huge cost. What im more worried about is the Vanos and possibly EDC units. I mean, restoring the top end on an M5 3.8 probably will cost as much as the car itself...
BR /Micke
6-10, there's no Vanos in your car!

·
Registered
178 Posts
6-10 said:
BR /Micke
Hi Micke,

You won't have to worry about the Vanos; the S38 engine of M5 E34 doesn't have it. However, it does not have hydraulic valve lifters like newer BMW engines, so the valve clearances should be checked and adjusted every Inspection 1 and 2. How is the service history? Is there a service book, receipts from repairs?
Expect the clutch to cost at least 8000 SEK at BMW, depending on which town you're in. Be aware that a slipping clutch wears the flywheel quickly! In that case it will be expensive...
Have you seen the car yet?

Good luck!
Patrik

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
[email protected]
so it is -465- is it ?, I missed the 'head-line- of your first input, sorry !
Yes, no VANOS in the S38B38-engine which is a direct evolution of the M1-engine originating from the M30 in the 2500 E3 from 1965 = 30 years of succesful engine-development -
-
I will check the registry, do not buy it yet, there might be a problem !!!
check the service-record, check when -Inspek. II- was done last time
(appr. SEK 10.000 !!), check the EDC-III-system and dampers -
-
make sure you really want a M5touring, no matter the problems and probable costs, check your budget, you will probably end up with appr. SEK 130.000
either you pay it right away for a 100% perfect car or you pay it later to get the car in shape, make sure you do not pay twice :nono:
-
an E34 540itouring (available as a 6-speed with ///M-package) is a better
deal for a daily-driver, the M5 is -motorsport- and already an enthusiast car
that has become almost too expensive to be used as a daily driver although
it was build as such but for people with a bag full of money, remember
= the list-price for a M5touring in 1995 in Sweden was SEK 752.000 + options that pushed the price easily to SEK 900.000 ++++
still wonder, why BMW did not manage to sell a single one in Sweden as a new car except for the demo-cars from 93, 94 + 95 ??
and that in -touring-country- where we now have more of them than what is left in Germany of the M5tourings -
-
Mr. [email protected]
I still owe you an answer on the 408 bhp sedan, I will revert -

·
Registered
145 Posts
M5touring reg said:
-
welcome to the crowd Niko,
the number of M5tourings in Finland is steaduly increasing -
on it, otherwise I have the build-sheet for the car for you if you are interested, if so I wud need a fax-number or an e-mail-address to send it to -
what is the mileage, any upgrades, changes or still standard ???
brgds
Karl
Thanks, Well my fax number is 00 358 198712736 or [email protected] if in case Jussi has not forwarded the info on a previous occasion. Th ebuild sheet would be nice though I do have the accessory list already.

The odometer reads 210k km which according the extensive amount of receipts and TUV papers might indeed be the correct. Th elast tuv on 2003 had 183k km written on it. The engine and other parts have been renewed in 1999 ( at 143k km). The bill was a whopping 11000 DEM!!

Its got a coilover suspension which works very well. The receipt of a couple of years ago says 1500€ So I would guess its a KW version 1. The exhaust has been replaced ( cat back) which I think an Eisenmann version with horrible DTM style ends.

The car has been severely misused for the last 13k km. The engine needed 4l iters of oil the first time I got it. SO the leakdown test result showing very little leakage was a positive surprise and says soemthing about the durability of the engine itself.
Emmissions are a mess ( hoping for lambda...but probably cats or something more expensive). The clutch has been replaced, but had been resting on the bearings for quite a while so the shuddering/shaking the engine has ( throughout the rev range) "might" be from a worn flywheel. Then the cardan joints "might" be causing the severe fibrations at exaxtly 80km/h. Not something that usually is a problem I hear, but since the car has been abused then who knows. And Finally the secong gear syncro is history so I need to drop the revs to engage it without crunching it.
All sorts of little electrical problems like the seemingly notorious rear bootlid acting strangely.
So I have my work cut out for me...no pain...no gain.:)

Niko

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
[email protected]
I cud not find any earlier records on this car but there might be something in my 'unsorted' pile which is increasing all the time -
the option-list is the same as the build-sheet but I will sent it to you -
then you can also see that someone took the M-technic-aerodynamic mirrors
of your car and replaced them with up to modell-year >92 mirrors, whereas
your car shud have from <93-modell-year-mirrors but it had M-mirrors from the factory as an extra pay option -
KW-coils, i.e. EDC-damper-system is also gone ??
side-indicators in front-sidewalls seem to be 'aftermarket' and placed in the
wrong position or wrong direction ?
-
after what you've reported it seems to me it will cost a fortune do re-awake
this car from the dead, do you really think it is worthwhile ? I know the value
in Finland i higher compared to Sweden and Germany but still ? on the other hand you are probably aware of all this and have decided in favour anyway,
I appreciate that and wish you luck. (Do not compare a worn-out M5touring with a fresh RS2 and you shud consider to put the EDC-III-system in place again).
ALL THE BEST !

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
6-10 said:
Best regards
/Micke
-
[email protected]
I still have not received an e-mail fro you ([email protected]) -
this car is in the registry as all the M5tourings running in Sweden ( the official Swedish vehicle registry is a public archive) -
BL01465 -prod.date 09.12.1992, EZ 25.01.1993, avusblue, anthrazit cloth seats, Nuerburgring-package, clima-automatic, Belgium-version-modell (export), import från Bruessels 1999, new engine with BMW-warranty 1997 at 85.000 km
2000-10-02 > 160.123 km SBP (annual check) > no remarks
2003-10-16 > 168.626 km SBP > damper, rear, right = leaking *)
2003-11-01 > 167.000 km - for sale for SEK 85.000
2005-10-07 > 189.706 km SBP > remark = windscreen water pump not working
*) EDC-dampers are allowed to 'sweat' but not 'leak' but 'sweat' sometimes
by mistake taken as a 'leak', on the other hand on a car with 180.000 km
on the meter the time is there for a damper renewal which is expensive
but it is highly recommended to keep the OEM-set-up
-
Good luck ! :byebye:
brgds

·
Registered
53 Posts
M5touring reg said:
-
[email protected]
Good luck ! :byebye:
brgds
Thanks a lot!
Useful info and I have most of this confirmed by talking to the previous owner in Stockholm. He also recommended a change of dampers as they are somewhat worn to his knowledge. I suspect that the current owner is less of a conscious BMW owner than suitable, and most likely havent done much maintenance to the car during his ownership.
I am looking forward to viewing the car IRL this weekend and will try to assess it value based on the info i have.

Thx!
/Micke

121 - 140 of 1182 Posts
About this Discussion
1.2K Replies
158 Participants
M5touring reg
BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums
M5Board is the best forum community for information on the BMW M5 E60 (V-10), E39 (V-8), E34 (straight 6), E28, F90 and F10. Discuss performance, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing