BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have recently purchased a gently used 2007 BMW M5 and I love the car.
When I received the car, I checked to see if I could turn off DSC. I was not able to. I took it in to service and just got it back and they stated that they had upgraded it. I followed the instructions that I found on a message board "press and hold turns off the DSC (with yellow DSC indicator in the cluster and a check control message appears on the display)." When I held MDM after it being activated it just turns off and I don't see the DSC OFF Triangle. Am I missing something?

I also took a gander at the M5 Manual and it simply states "Press and hold the MDM button", with no reference to the lights turning on or off. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Press and hold the MDM button

·
Registered
605 Posts
When you press and hold the MDM button for 3 secs. the DSC triangle should appear on the display in front of you. If it doesn't, they did not do the upgrade correctly...
Evan

·
Registered
527 Posts
When you press and hold the MDM button for 3 secs. the DSC triangle should appear on the display in front of you. If it doesn't, they did not do the upgrade correctly...
Evan
Evan, good to see you still on the M5board. How does your HPF car compare to the M5?

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
I agree with AMGETR above -- the update may have been messed up.
Do you have a 6 speed? I took mine to Hendrick in Charlotte and they didn't know anything about the 6 speed DSC off software upgrade and since I'm now in Charleston, I went to the dealer here and they did it in 2 hours. Hope you get it figured out.

OT -- +1 to RaceMX -- Evan, I want to know how you like the M3

·
Registered
694 Posts
sounds like a 6 speed, I had mine in and they missed the special service bulletin just for this issue...however, trust me, I have turned DSC off ONCE.....and be forewarned, if you turn it OFF, be VERY AWAKE.......

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
BTW, just in case they don't know -- tell them to look up Bulletin 34 07 07
That's the one about DSC off for 6 speeds

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
First of all thanks for the helpful feedback!

According to the service department they did update as per 34-07-07, they also state this on the service order. Just to make sure I wasn't doing anything incorrect I tried to hold down MDM in many different situations: with M Mode on/off, with MDM light on/off. The only thing that I observed was the MDM light shutting off after being illuminated when I held it for 10secs or so. I did not see the yellow triangle. I guess it is back to service...unfortunately I did not have time to validate the work before getting the car in my hands. Before I go on a tirade with service is there anything else that I am missing?

Thank you all once again.....

rkm5

·
Registered
694 Posts
you should have it as a CHOICE in I-Drive when setting the M button......if it is not there they are not correct. IF you need it I can post pictures

·
Registered
48 Posts
First of all thanks for the helpful feedback!

According to the service department they did update as per 34-07-07, they also state this on the service order. Just to make sure I wasn't doing anything incorrect I tried to hold down MDM in many different situations: with M Mode on/off, with MDM light on/off. The only thing that I observed was the MDM light shutting off after being illuminated when I held it for 10secs or so. I did not see the yellow triangle. I guess it is back to service...unfortunately I did not have time to validate the work before getting the car in my hands. Before I go on a tirade with service is there anything else that I am missing?

Thank you all once again.....

rkm5
You've got it covered, they just didn't do it "right." I've got a 6 speed, and had mine turned off last month. I've noticed that it doesn't matter if MDM is on or off, if I hold the MDM button in for 3 seconds, the DSC off message appears and the indicator comes on by the speedo.

Another way to check is by going into the MDrive menu, look under DSC, and if the dealer has completed 34-07-07 correctly, you should have the option of selecting "Off" for DSC when you switch to MDrive. Why someone would want to do this is beyond me though, it's fun to play around a little bit with DSC off, but 99.9% of the time I need it on to keep me away from telephone poles...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well cshorter and FallbrookM5 I think it is settled. I have to take it back in. To your point cshorter, I won't need the DSC off and the car and my life are probably safer with out being able to shut it off but it is nice to know that if I want to shut it off I can.

On another note how high do you guys pull up the ebrake to make it feel like it is engaged. I got my car back and all of a sudden it seems like I have to pull it up as far as it goes to feel that it is engaged, and mind you it does not feel like it is secure...perhaps 3 clicks. I think I will have to get that checked out as well.ouich

·
Registered
48 Posts
It's all good to turn it off from time to time, what I meant was that it doesn't make sense to have DSC off as part of your MDrive settings, i.e. what you get when you hit the M button -- which is every time I get in the car.

As for DSC off, I had some fun this past weekend with some friends in an empty parking lot, I must have done 1080 degrees in a burnout, so much smoke we could hardly find our way out... I'm just saying it's not the mode to be in while commuting to work...

Get your SA to get it straightened out, then have some fun...

I've never noticed how far I pull up the brake, but I'm certainly not pulling too awful hard...

·
Registered
605 Posts
Hi Guys,
Love the M3 :) Totally different, M5 was comfortable and had great creature comforts while making the best exhaust note of any car I have owned and hauling *** (esp on NOS) and was also VERY reliable. The M3 is much more raw, direct, and finicky. Its loud (I have straight pipes), stiffer (Coilovers) and the power comes on harder (Turbo). I love it though, I don't need gizmo's or 4doors right now so the M3 is perfect! This car is so fast, it makes my father's Z06 feel slow when I get in it!
Evan

·
Registered
605 Posts
AMG ETR: wow so you ALSO got a HPF BMW M3? Wow. What did they do to it?
Hey Gustav,
Yep, went back to an M3! HPF did a stage 2 kit on it that made 626RWHP on race gas and 585RWHP on pump! Car is amazingly fast! My car is a 6speed with barely any options (no sunroof or power seats) and comp package so its pretty light too! You can see a few videos of it on youtube under my username Kozman23 along with some of my old ASR Stage 3 M5!!
Hope all is well!
Evan
Here is a pic of it (its going in for major mod surgery soon though :))

·
Registered
605 Posts
Here are the videos so you don't have to search :) In these videos I had a Supersprint Race exhaust on, its not much louder with straight pipes :)
<object width="480" height="295"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Ujz9Zsr5070&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Ujz9Zsr5070&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="295"></embed></object>

<object width="480" height="295"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ofVJcE_EGrI&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ofVJcE_EGrI&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="295"></embed></object>

Here is a startup video with the new straight pipes :)
<object width="480" height="295"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/cpjEKKeqCQ8&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/cpjEKKeqCQ8&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="295"></embed></object>

·
Registered
49,477 Posts
ouich That is just crazy! Congrats!

Hey Gustav,
Yep, went back to an M3! HPF did a stage 2 kit on it that made 626RWHP on race gas and 585RWHP on pump! Car is amazingly fast! My car is a 6speed with barely any options (no sunroof or power seats) and comp package so its pretty light too! You can see a few videos of it on youtube under my username Kozman23 along with some of my old ASR Stage 3 M5!!
Hope all is well!
Evan
Here is a pic of it (its going in for major mod surgery soon though :))

1 - 16 of 16 Posts