BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Folks,

At the weekend, I encountered a strange one - the damn key stopped working the remote central locking.

I unlocked the car on the key, and silenced the alarm using the ignition (still got a few funny looks from passers by...). Interesting it it was raining really bloody hard, and I had a bit of a sense of humour failure!

Anyway, first chance I had, I pulled into Strathstone BMW in Hull ( I was in the area anyway) they took a look at the key, and advised that it charges itself up when in the ignition barrel, so should not really have any problems. And no sooner had I pointed them to the car, and predictably, it worked flawlessly.

Has anyone else had a problem with their key?

Cheers

TrickyTrev

·
Registered
22 Posts
hello- personally i notice that when i park in downtown, loop, chicago, illinois that my key does not work when i am parked on the roof of most parking garages.

whereas, if i am on a floor lower than the roof it works just fine...really odd.

i chalked it up to some kind of interference. not sure if this would explain your issue.

·
Banned
156 Posts
I actually had something a bit more scary than that. I would lock my car and only the drivers door would actually lock. I'm lucky I realized it because the other doors would just open. I'm not sure if its key related but it doesnt happen any more... I'm still neurotic though and check all doors every time lol

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
I have had it happen to me a few times however my alarm does not sound when I unlock the car with the key.
I know that the key charges itself but battery is not designed to last for ever swap it out for a new one.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
The likely (but non-obvious) cause of this is a failed Gas Filler Door Lock actuator, which caused a fuse (int he trunk) to blow, thereby causing the car not to lock the doors via the remote.

Search the board, part numbers and repair procedures are posted here.

(and yes, it happened to me too)

·
Registered
12,987 Posts
I have had it happen to me a few times however my alarm does not sound when I unlock the car with the key.
I know that the key charges itself but battery is not designed to last for ever swap it out for a new one.
Not sure, I think MY'01 and newer don't have a battery, just a capaciter. Any one know from experience?
Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Not sure, I think MY'01 and newer don't have a battery, just a capaciter. Any one know from experience?
Regards,
Jerry
Just pop off the cover on the back of the key undo the screws and see if it's got a battery.
Arhh just thought you will have the newer smaller key sort of diamond shaped with the bmw badge on it, not sure for this type of key.

·
Registered
6,520 Posts
Still a battery, but a better one. And our keys are pretty well sealed, so I wouldn't try to open it "just to find out".

It is highly unlikely the battery is the issue - I like the failing actuator theory better. I suppose interference is also a possibility, but pretty darn unlikely.

d-

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
No rechargable battery lasts forever they get worse and worse the more times they are recharged.

·
Registered
323 Posts
I have a viper alarm intregrated with the stock alarm. Takes aaa battery and tells me when the battery is low. It also tells me if the alarm sounds for any reason, and if they get in, and it by passes the key fob controls. Also, the Viper control is almost a perfect match to Lemans Blue.

·
Registered
138 Posts
It could be the charging system in the ignition cylinder. If you know anyone with the same style key that you have, try leaving your key in their ignition for 20-30 min and then see if you can lock and unlock your car.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks everyone

I have taken out the second key (the previous owner must have been around 8 feet tall as the memorised car seat position in the key is all the way back and all the way down and very reclined.....

I have decided to take the key to BMW and get them to provide a new one 0 I'll let you know how expensive it is - i imagine ......very...!

Cheers

TrickyTrev

·
Registered
362 Posts
The dealer said that my key is busted and needs to be replaced:(

the actuator is working well.

They charge here $300 for a new key:(too

·
Registered
319 Posts
there is a rechargeable battery on the diamond shape keys, if the battery is totally dead the dealer will tell you you need to replace your key, but you can change the battery if you want by opening it and using a solder gun, Google it and you should find answer

the part number as follows
panasonic VL2020 3v (horizontal)
can be found at digikey our mouser.com

stop paying the stealer a lot of money for dead battery

I've taken apart the key and put it back together using epoxy, my issue was not dead battery the keys just had to be reinitialized.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Just happened to me yesterday for the first time !! I unlocked with key (alarm did not sound). Drove a mile back home and tried the remote and it worked fine?

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
Just happened to me yesterday for the first time !! I unlocked with key (alarm did not sound). Drove a mile back home and tried the remote and it worked fine?
That's how it starts. My key is dead on my 540, and on it's way out it would work from time to time, and then not work.

·
Registered
262 Posts
For some reason when I got my car my key did not work at all. I followed these directions to reprogram it and it works perfectly now.

1) Get in and close all doors.
2) Turn on the ignition to position 1 and turn off quickly (No more than 5 seconds) to start the process.
3) Remove the 1st key from ignition.
4) Hold the key up near the rearview mirror for best reception.
5) Hold down the unlock button and press the lock button 3 times. Release the unlock button. Wait a few seconds and you should hear all the doors lock and unlock. This is your signal that the key should be programmed.
6) Quickly repeat steps 4 & 5 for key #2 etc.

Reactions: El Diablo and Ted

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
That's how it starts. My key is dead on my 540, and on it's way out it would work from time to time, and then not work.

I hope not because 6 months ago my car was stolen so I had the keys replaced and it has happened to me once already.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts