BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so, a couple of days ago, my M had the dreaded secondary air filter malfunction, which triggered the SES light, P0411.

I'm calling this P0411, because a lot of people already had an OBDII reader, and don't want to put out the extra cash for Peake.

hopefully this will be sort of a review, because this malfunction seems pretty common, but it's interspersed in several other threads. from reading them, this is what I gather (someone please correct me if I'm wrong).

1. the problem is not too serious, and the secondary air filter, which becomes clogged with carbon to trip the code, is not integral.

2. this code is thrown on cold starts.

3. despite #s 1 and 2, the car will fail most US emissions inspections after throwing this code.

4. fixing the "problem" at a garage or $tealership requires significant labor, and can run $6-8K.

5. masking the "problem" can be done with a PowerChip, which runs about $800.

6. the PowerChip will also boost HP, remove the rev limiter, and remove the speed limiter.

I have never owned a car that was so sensitive about its CEL. I looked down underneath the instrument cluster the other day and I saw, "teritary popcorn maker malfunctioning... ejection sequence initialized." I pulled over just in time. the popcorn was fine, but there were a few "clinkers."

my solution is going to be to PowerChip it, but still, I'm slightly worried about some members reporting the same code being thrown, after chipping the engine. is this possible? also, have I missed anything?

thanks for the feedback.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
I've never seen anyone say they still got the same error. Matt did tell me that they might have to make the sensor even less sensitive, but no issues to report here. As said above, PC is only $500 now, and you get ~20hp for your trouble!

Reactions: Night Train

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
I had my SES light come on about two weeks ago with a P0411 code as well. I reset it and it hasn't come back on. That was about 20+ cold starts ago. I don't get it.

That said, I'll take the Powerchips or ESS software fix if it returns. It's unbelievably pointless to go through with the dealer recommended "fix" which doesn't guarantee the problem won't return. Can't imagine a bigger waste of money than that.:dunno:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts