BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
909 Posts
The worst LRs were made under BMW's ownership. Just sayin'
I think British Leyland was far worse. There’s some comical PR that they used to run, you can find it on YouTube I think. The 70s and 80s were a rough time for British Industry.

the L322 was designed by BMW but the sold it off before it launched. It’s every bit as good/bad as BMWs of that era. Ford pumped a lot of money in to get rid of the BMW engine (and GM transmission) and update the electrical systems ASAP. Many ppl there at that time felt it was a diversion of resources and cash and led to the North American car portfolio (read Not trucks) being severely compromised. I tend to agree with that. The only pure US platform that launched in the mid 2000s was the Mustang, which was late.

·
Registered
909 Posts
Someone please explain to me why half an M5 can't last 100k miles (kidding, sorta). Most of the sterotypes are BS. Seriously. (having owned cars made in almost every country by every manufacturer)
I spent time as an young engineer in Germany working for Opel for several months. There is a stereotype about German engineers. I happen to think it’s very true. They are very educated and technical, perhaps overly so. They are reluctant if ever to admit they are wrong, even in the face of proven data. Performance programs for all automakers have exceptions/deviations to normal criteria. It’s up the vehicle program to adhere and face delays or launch on time and deal with warranty claims. US automakers are really concerned about warranty costs. Germans, not so much. Rod bearing??? Eh, that’s standard maintenance just like the rear window molding.

They also overly rely on simulation vs real validation testing. Running cars on the Nordschliefe is accelerated testing in lieu of some long term durability tests. It’s not uncommon for a US automaker (not Tesla) to put 500k-1 million miles on the total preproduction fleet along with complete reverse tear downs all before the first car is produced for sale. That doesn’t happen with a program like the M5, I’d argue based on what we see with the E60 base platform that didn’t happen either. Look at the E46, the rear substructure falls apart, this was after similar but less severe failures happened on the prior platform, the E36. That’s a classic engineering FAIL “it was fine under simulation”. They finally resolved it on the E9x.

Electrical systems on Japanese cars are so damn reliable and equally complex because of testing and validation. Perhaps many of those cars are boring nowadays but that’s a styling issue.

·
Registered
23 Posts
1) As knowledgeable as the good "Doctor" is, he also talks a lot of sh*t.

2) The rumors are probably BS or something misunderstood. As in, someone out for drinks overhearing an engineer on the team saying that, "The engine could clock 900hp...if we add turbos to it like we did the N54...". You gotta remember, "turbo-ing all the things" was a thing for BMWs at this time. Now all of the M cars use them...so it stuck.

3) 900hp isn't impossible, BTW. E60 N54 3.0L inline 6 engines are turning in 400-500hp with bolt-ons done for a few grand in one's garage. Pro tuners are scratching 1,000HP using that 6cyl engine: The 7 Fastest N54's in the World: 135i, 335i, 535i Horsepower Records

·
Registered
909 Posts
An AAF shifter and t-case shifter would be BALLER for an 80.
I seem to remember that shifter in those looked like it came out of a Toyota Tercel. I could be made much simpler since it’s just cable operated. This might be a good mod for the LC community and those guys are always down for improving their rig. I think there was a Lexus version of that gen too right?

·
Registered
909 Posts
3) 900hp isn't impossible, BTW.
Certainly if it was forced induction then 900 is trivial. But I was assuming ole doctor was talking NA. I doubt that’s possible certainly a whole lot of engineering challenges. I think it would need more the 5.0l and it’s have to be able to rev to like 12k and that’s where the peak power would be at. I don’t see anything like that lasting very long. Such a long crankshaft spinning that fast with that weight. You increase the displacement beyond 6.5l and the block has to be completely different. I think it’s all BS, it’s all click bait.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I think he's referring to the F1 v-10 BMW was producing at the time, which was producing ~900bhp. These engines were produced at the same time but aren't derrived one from another. People really seem to get that confused. They are both fuel injected v-10s, but that is about all they have in common.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Some fun facts about the BMW P83- V10 F1 engine

Output of the BMW P83 is over 900 bhp.
Maximum engine speed is 19,200 rpm.
In a race, engine speed is limited to 19,000 rpm.
Idle speed is 4,000 rpm.
The engine weighs less than 90 kilograms.
The air intake volume is 1,995 cubic metres per hour.
Maximum piston acceleration is 10,000g.
Piston speed peaks at 40 metres per second and averages 25 metres per second.
Exhaust temperatures of up to 950 degrees are reached.
Maximum air temperature in the pneumatic system is 250 degrees.

Reactions: CQ_CQ

·
Registered
909 Posts
No the quack doctor claims in the comment response to user boostabuse who inquired about this claim. He then responds that he’s not allowed to tell and that he’s in process already of modifying his which I can only assume he means getting it back to 900. He then comments again about how it’s secret and how he’s not like other YouTubers. He’s right about that, He’s a quack. He’s looking for more subscribers.

I did some quick calcs and my guess was pretty close, with the engine being 5.0l and NA (meaning Volumetric Efficiency is 100-120%) it’d have to run north of 12k to generate 900 HP.

Problem is that the S85 engine as is can’t handle those forces to spin that fast. Also we’d need pneumatic valves since there’s no way the values would be able to shut back with standard spring pressure.

·
Registered
141 Posts
One thing cool about owning a ducati is that I get to see shower injections and non floating valves up close (although pneumatic and desmodromic aren't the same, obiously) Also, the tolerances in our engines are way too tight to spin up like that. Small displacement and wide toleranmces are better for that rpm. I still can feel those engines on track at Indy and Magny Cours. Hit you right in the chest!

·
Registered
141 Posts
Oh, one of those engines was for sale not oo long ago. It was in the 100-150k range, if I recall right. Just imagine driving it in, well anything. Although needing like 10 techs and 6 minutes to start it would kinda suck. Kinda.

·
Registered
909 Posts
No worry the real deal is overkilll. Dr Dean has a solution that is a simple ECU tweak, he’s working on it. Im sure he’ll solve the issue with the clutch that would self destruct at that RPM too with a SMG ECU tweak too.

My duc is a little V twin so no desmo love for me, but lovely noises with Remus pipes.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts