BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's the video, because I can't help but watch any circle jerk echo chamber video praising my decision to get this car......

Question: Around the 6:30 mark, the esteemed Dr. states that during development, the S85 engineers had 900 bhp variant that had to get reigned in for the production line. How much horse excrement is that? I'm trying to imagine a scaled up 10L custom stroker block/build to pump out that many ponies N/A. I wouldn't even care it was an iron block.
I'm sure the actual engineers here will explain how that wouldn't work.

·
Registered
911 Posts
I watched some of his other videos before. Just wasted 20 mins hearing him rave about this car he used to rant about. It’s typical Dr. Dean, he’s never wrong... He loves to rant against Americans for some reason, we’re all stupid, we don’t know how to maintain, fix or engineer cars.
Really funny coming from a Brit. The British auto industry is a joke, they are the pinnacle of poor engineering. That’s why nothing that was British survived on its own (McLarry doesn’t count, they came after the glory days). I worked with some great engineers at Jaguar and Aston Martin, but that was after Ford pumped in Billions. He’s got some solid knowledge about modules and reprogramming but wrenching is a bit outside of his real skill set. I know he was running that subscription thing on YouTube but that all stuff that you can find elsewhere in other forums for free.

lots of hyperbole about the car. I guess I never knew how flawless and reliable the SMG is. It’s still an E60 and Dean makes his living off all the E6x flaws. Too bad he can’t be more objective.

Detuned from 900 HP ??? No sorry, not even close. I can see 700 HP with some mild revisions to reduce reciprocating weight, cam timing, and running on 105 octane and running a lot more advance, that all assumes BMW doing a full recalibration on the engine dyno which is easy enough for them since they have all the source code and maps for every calibration table. I’d assume the throttle bodies would have to be enlarged a bit to flow more air. Finding still another 200 HP puts the volumetric efficiency at a level that may not be physically possible give a 5.0l displacement.

·
Registered
DinanS2+ e60m5 6MT, s38b38 e28m5 TT/ST3, e30 TT/ST4
6,263 Posts
the pinnacle of poor engineering

I paid my dues as a Range Rover owner. Punted that thing for an FZJ80 that I still own today.

·
Registered
911 Posts
I’m a glutton for punishment too. I been thinking of getting a Range Rover. I want to be able to start the thing when it rains though. I’d probably be the first owner to take it off road though and I do need to tow. I understand that the German-British bastard children are only maginally better than the pure British ones. I think they kinda figured stuff out at the end of the Ford owned days. I’m prolly better off getting a F250 though, I can then tow the M5 to the track.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I've watched this guy a couple of times, I turned off when he babbled on about anyone who knows what they are doing doesn't use a torque wrench (WTF?!?)

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
I’m a glutton for punishment too. I been thinking of getting a Range Rover. I want to be able to start the thing when it rains though. I’d probably be the first owner to take it off road though and I do need to tow. I understand that the German-British bastard children are only maginally better than the pure British ones. I think they kinda figured stuff out at the end of the Ford owned days. I’m prolly better off getting a F250 though, I can then tow the M5 to the track.
In 2005 I did see ford invest big time in Land Rover , bought a 2006 LR3 HSE new for a song.
It always sits outside in the rain never failed to start
One of the most reliable And maintenance free cars I have owned
Now has 164,000 miles on it.
It will tow m5 to track
Better stopping than 3/4 ton truck, more maneuverable, 5900 lbs of stable road hugging weight.
Dirt cheap to buy used

·
Registered
911 Posts
I've watched this guy a couple of times, I turned off when he babbled on about anyone who knows what they are doing doesn't use a torque wrench (WTF?!?)
He seems to brag about his car being the most well sorted M5 in the whole UK and that all of M5s in the UK are properly looked after. Somehow none of the prior (7 or 8) owners bothered with the rod bearings and seems like he was reluctant to believe any of us other M5 owners. Given the number of owners I’d reckon that most of the SMG has already been overhauled. However, this is the first I’ve heard of The DSC/ABS module causing the SMG issues. The way he talks about it it’s way more than the SZL steering angle sensor thing. Maybe he knows about the deeper voodoo magic. It’s probably the same spell that cut the HP from 900 to 500.
I guess what ever gets you more YouTube ad money and click bait content.

·
Registered
911 Posts
In 2005 I did see ford invest big time in Land Rover , bought a 2006 LR3 HSE new for a song.
It always sits outside in the rain never failed to start
One of the most reliable And maintenance free cars I have owned
Now has 164,000 miles on it.
It will tow m5 to track
Better stopping than 3/4 ton truck, more maneuverable, 5900 lbs of stable road hugging weight.
Dirt cheap to buy used
I drove a few preproduction LR3s at the proving grounds. I never got stuck but if you do, you get in trouble. It basically means you were screwing around or there’s an actual failure.
Of course if you schedule your off road stuff ahead of time, it’s not a big deal. I recall the LR3 being abit weak, it had the latest and biggest AJ engine in it which was the same engine family as my program. It’s just heavy, all rovers are. The dilemma is the trans. Those particular ZFs aren’t great especially with towing. The trans is the big factor in towing. An M5 on a vehicle trailer will be 7000. I’ve hauled everyone of my M5s home with my Trailblazer but it’s technically over the GVWR of 10k. I have over 200k miles on my Trailblazer and it’s been pretty reliable but it’s done everything I asked it to and it’s selectable 4x4. The LR3 is not much more powerful or capable in towing and parts cost a lot more. I get 19 mpg on highway too. I’m not sure how much longer it will last but I know the trans does go around 200k miles and me towing M5s around to the track is what is gonna kill it for sure. Half ton trucks can certainly handle the load but the trans on these things are again the key difference.

I fancy a more modern one that was supercharged, there are a lot that have served their school bus and shoping mall duties very well. I been looking at X5M too, but then I think perhaps the RR supercharged, which has the steeper depreciation. British cars (despite the fact that they aren’t really pure British engineered ) will always have the worst resale values despite them having come a long ways form the British Leyland and Lucas days.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
The LR3 motors last 300,000 miles plus, the less one touches the less trouble one has.
Only oil changes since 2013.
I have way more power than when new, much better gas mileage as well.
Oil used to turn dark in 4,000 miles, now it takes 6,000 miles I think it is fully broken in.

with all wheel drive all the time there was a lot of friction when new, all the parts are mated now.
The last 140 mile round trip to look at and test drive super charged RR netted 20 mpg running 75 mph. That was last year, no hyw trip since, thus stuck a 15.9 mph on doing 1 to 4 mile grocery getting
This is a torque motor not hp motor and trans ; all rated to tow 7,780 lbs

I was not impressed with the 500 hp RR motor part throttle drivability not as good as LR3, too much shifting.
I image that is intended to keep cylinder pressure and thus pre-ignition down on super charged 5.0

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
Can't knock Range Rovers myself. I'm either lucky or the rap is just terribly skewed. My l322 full fat which I miss to this day I put 200k on (other than standard maintence no issue....that 4.4 N/A V8 engine was a beauty...not a TON of power but SUPER reliable).....traded it in for a 2014 Autobiography (5.0L V8 S/C >500 HP) and have just hit 36k.....not one issue with it

·
Registered
911 Posts
Yeah I like buying cars for 10-20% of what the were 8 years ago. There are plenty of RRs out there so I’m in no hurry. I’d never get one that has a BMW V8 in it, because despite then being in the Ford era, it was a BMW engine and electric system. It’s junk. BWM could never fix Rover so they pawned it off on Ford, and they did a lot better but the Recession forced the sale of those brands. Ford has some real development and testing standards that just didn’t exist when Rover/Jag/Aston were stand-alone companies. BMW was better but we all know that they have plenty of questionable durability issues, V8s especially. The BMW V8s were barely better than the 40 year old Buick V8 engines in the Rovers of the 80s. It was Lucas electronics that really did it in though.

The AJ V8 was a Ford/Jag world design. The current LR/RR V8s are based on this still, given their history it would be foolish to then move away from it because it’s finally reliable! WTF! The early AJs had nikasil issues mainly due to fuel before they moved to liners. By 2008 most of any of the AJ V8s has all their kinks worked out.
If a RR/LR has an AJ engine then the electrical system also is from the Ford era too, which is generally is very well designed and tested.
The P38 that Pmalik talks about is one of those older BMW/Rover love children. No thanks...

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
^^ Agree. my 2008 l322 4.4 v8 was Jaguar motor (Ford) and my L405 5.0 SC V8 is also of the same lineage (Ford)

·
Registered
911 Posts
I really like the l322. Very classic yet modern lines. Good to hear yours was relatively problem free. The earlier ones had a lot of teething issues. I also don’t think that if this was conceived under Ford’s watch it would have been as well styled and designed. I was there during those times. So I think these later ones have the style and design gene plus the reliability gene from Ford.

·
Registered
DinanS2+ e60m5 6MT, s38b38 e28m5 TT/ST3, e30 TT/ST4
6,263 Posts
Woody, Are you the original owner of the 80 series also? You should have AAF make the range shifter and trans shifter for that thing.
No, not the original 80 owner, but I've had it for 18 years.

An AAF shifter and t-case shifter would be BALLER for an 80. I've said it before, the quality of AAF is in a league of its own. When you start a shifter with a block-o-billet aluminum, good things happen.

Reactions: specialized2010

·
Registered
141 Posts
I watched some of his other videos before. Just wasted 20 mins hearing him rave about this car he used to rant about. It’s typical Dr. Dean, he’s never wrong... He loves to rant against Americans for some reason, we’re all stupid, we don’t know how to maintain, fix or engineer cars.
Really funny coming from a Brit. The British auto industry is a joke, they are the pinnacle of poor engineering. That’s why nothing that was British survived on its own (McLarry doesn’t count, they came after the glory days). I worked with some great engineers at Jaguar and Aston Martin, but that was after Ford pumped in Billions. He’s got some solid knowledge about modules and reprogramming but wrenching is a bit outside of his real skill set. I know he was running that subscription thing on YouTube but that all stuff that you can find elsewhere in other forums for free.

lots of hyperbole about the car. I guess I never knew how flawless and reliable the SMG is. It’s still an E60 and Dean makes his living off all the E6x flaws. Too bad he can’t be more objective.

Detuned from 900 HP ??? No sorry, not even close. I can see 700 HP with some mild revisions to reduce reciprocating weight, cam timing, and running on 105 octane and running a lot more advance, that all assumes BMW doing a full recalibration on the engine dyno which is easy enough for them since they have all the source code and maps for every calibration table. I’d assume the throttle bodies would have to be enlarged a bit to flow more air. Finding still another 200 HP puts the volumetric efficiency at a level that may not be physically possible give a 5.0l displacement.
You do realize that almost every F1 team, and the majority of F1 employees come from GB, right?

·
Registered
911 Posts
You do realize that almost every F1 team, and the majority of F1 employees come from GB, right?
I wouldn’t say almost every, but I already agreed in concept with your point as you quoted. Some British engineers have a bit of a double sided personality complex like Dr Dean. Several of the Jag guys loved living in MI (of all places) and stayed. I was a bit shocked since one guy talked so much smack about the US, then he tells us he taking a role on the Ford side because he wants to stay. I’ve worked with them since we shared the same platform. I was also contemplating joining cosworth upon graduating but glad i didn’t. F1 is a cottage industry and the other series are not polluted with FIA BS. Several co-workers left and got jobs in MI working in advanced chassis stuff and composites. it’s a sh*ty lifestyle and way underpaid, but the “glory” of being on an F1 team....

That doesn’t mean they know how to engineer production vehicles. look at the sad story of Lotus, they should have been what McLaren became. Every one of those iconic British Marques, all died and could not adapt against even the French or the Swedes. I’ve heard the but F1 thing many a time.

·
Registered
141 Posts
NASA looks to F1 on a regular basis for tech. Chrysler built the 1st 2 generations of minivans with cheap bolts that they knew would kill kids but knew it would be cheaper to settle wrongful death claims than to buy better bolts. My 58 bugeye 948cc engine produces about 58 hp, how much does a HD evo produce again (lol)? I can go on and on. I't all relative. Japanese make rliable but boring cars, germans over engineer, italian cars are exciting but unreliable... Someone please explain to me why half an M5 can't last 100k miles (kidding, sorta). Most of the sterotypes are BS. Seriously. (having owned cars made in almost every country by every manufacturer)

1 - 20 of 33 Posts