BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Congrats on your purchase! It took me quite a bit of time to find my own 6spd manual, but it was all worth it! I think your post says you’re from the SF Bay Area, maybe I’ll see you driving around sometime!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #22 (Edited)
I've spent the last two days enjoying the car as is, and am continuing to keeping it under 4500 rpm (boo!). The post rod bearing oil change is scheduled for Thursday morning and I still have about 100 miles to cover, so I'll likely need to take the long way home tomorrow on the commute back from work.

I also discovered that the car has fairly aggressive wheel spacers (15mm-20mm I think) installed front and rear. I'm generally not a big fan of spacers, so those will likely get yanked out shortly. I'll need to find OEM sized bolts first... so if folks can suggest a good source other than the dealership, it would be appreciated.

Congrats on your purchase! It took me quite a bit of time to find my own 6spd manual, but it was all worth it! I think your post says you’re from the SF Bay Area, maybe I’ll see you driving around sometime!
Not sure how many locals are viewing this thread, but if we can get enough interest, I'd be happy to kick start a semi regular Friday night meet at one of the local caffeine dispensaries...

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Break in over, oil change done. Finally.

And oh my, this car just pulls and pulls and pulls all the way to the redline. I'm still adjusting to the speed and sensation. I have owned cars that have revved high (AP1 S2000, NA1 NSX, etc), but S85 is a whole different beast in it's power delivery.

My thoughts went something like this:

0k-3k RPM: "Hm, I think I could daily drive this car"
3k-5k RPM: "What's the big deal, where's the torque?"
5k-6k RPM: "Woah..."
6k-7k RPM: "WTF, it's actually pulling harder!"
7k-8k RPM: "This thing is a monster!"
8k+ RPM: "Ack, I better shift..."

I have to say that it's incredibly addictive... but it's far too easy to get to triple digit speeds. Need to be cautious.

To celebrate this milestone, I treated the car to a little gift:

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #27 (Edited)
I forgot to mention that I also had the following work performed while the car was in the shop:

1. Wheel spacers removed. The fronts were 20mm, and rears 15mm (yikes!). No rub issues at all now. Interestingly, the car feels a bit more nimble, and some of the initial understeer on turn in I was experiencing seems to have gone... so I feel more confident with a higher corner entry speed.

2. I had the wheels re-balanced. The drivers side rear wheel was out of wack and contributing to slight vibration at speeds over 80mph. Smooth as silk now...

All I'm missing now is an alignment and the car will be mechanically where I need it for now.

·
Registered
891 Posts
My thoughts went something like this:

0k-3k RPM: "Hm, I think I could daily drive this car"
3k-5k RPM: "What's the big deal, where's the torque?"
5k-6k RPM: "Woah..."
6k-7k RPM: "WTF, it's actually pulling harder!"
7k-8k RPM: "This thing is a monster!"
8k+ RPM: "Ack, I better shift..."
I distinctly remember the exact same sensation when I picked up the wife's smg some 4 years ago. I've had a bunch of high end cars and bikes and daily drove a v10 S8 at that time and I still was blown away by continuous power available north of 6K. Literally texted "holy **** this thing is a monster" to the previous owner that I grabbed the car from 10 minutes prior.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
A few updates from this weekend:

1. The OEM mats I ordered arrived, and I swapped them into the car. It looks so much better than the worn rubber aftermarket mats that I purchased the car with.

2. I met up with the previous owner and picked up the original owner's manual and leather pouch he dug up. It's good to know I have it for reference. As an added surprise, I discovered the original window sticker from the car. It's absolutely insane that this was a ~$100k car originally (plus taxes!).

Other than that, I've been enjoying the dual personality of the car immensely. Comfortable and luxurious when just driving around town, and a Beast when on the back roads. :)

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #30 (Edited)
I also got an extended opportunity to drive a Tesla Model S loaner on the same back roads (while our X was in for service). It makes for an interesting comparison.

Even though the Model S is actually heaver than the M5, the lower center of weight helps a bit on the twisty bits. Combined with the additional torque of the electric motors, I was probably faster in the MS... but having significantly less fun.

The sound of the engine and the tactile feel and control of the 6MT just makes the M5 the car I would choose every single time. :wroom:

·
Registered
239 Posts
Nice car and looking good! Do you have part number for the floor mats? Euro cars don't have that M5 stitch on the mat...

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #32

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
A package showed up on my doorstep on Saturday afternoon. mmmmmm

Excellent... this install would fit in nicely with my planned Sunday afternoon activity to do a thorough wash of the car.

After a quick review of the online install instructions and videos, I cracked the hood open (don't mind the dust, I did a full clean of the engine bay later that afternoon).

The H8 bulb to be replaced is located behind a screw-on plastic shield attached to the headlight housing.

With the cover removed, you can see the bulb connector that needs to be removed before you can twist the original bulb out of the housing.

Here's the original bulb. Note the three tabs that need to align in order to slot it into the headlight housing.

The LUX H8 bulbs have the same tabs. That's the only similarity with the original bulbs... these things look the business!

This is where things get a bit tricky... mostly due to the limited spacing and the fact that you need to find a place to stow the module that comes with each bulb. I found it easier to first work the module into the headlight housing as suggested.

And then twist in the new bulb and carefully push the wiring into the housing to secure it all in place.

Put the cover back on, repeat for the other side... and that was it. Access on the driver side was even tighter.

What a massive difference in look and light output... the photos don't do it justice.

Before:

After:

I think it really helps modernize the look of the car and aligns the front lights with the very cool striped LED tail lamps that the LCI E60s had.

All in all a pretty easy and satisfying install.

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
I've tried all the LED stuff and will only stick with HID in the angel eyes. VERY bright...no LED kit can match. Some complain about the rings yellowing from the heat....mine never have. My kit has a resistor built in so maybe it helps?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
I've tried all the LED stuff and will only stick with HID in the angel eyes. VERY bright...no LED kit can match. Some complain about the rings yellowing from the heat....mine never have. My kit has a resistor built in so maybe it helps?
That's a reasonable option, but I wanted something that was tried and tested as well as plug and play.

Post up a picture of your HID solution... would love to see what it looks like.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
It's been a little while since I've posted an update, but the set of planned mods to the vehicle have slowed down as I've been spending time driving the car and getting more acquainted with it. Gas mileage aside (which was not a surprise), this car has been phenomenal as a 3 times a week daily driver to work.

I'm loving the split personality, opting to stay at 400hp and with EDC in comfort for my morning commute, and then choosing to press that Hyde-inducing "M" button in the evening on the way home. I usually end up staying late at work most nights, so the roads have largely emptied out by the time I leave... letting me play with the increased HP as I take the "longer way" back. I am blessed with a route home that takes me up a phenomenal mountain road, a perfect hill climb with both long sweepers and tight (often reducing radius) turns.

This may sound strange, but I love driving cars uphill. You get greater front wheel traction as the the road rises up to meet you, leading to a much more positive turn-in. Additionally, you get more of an opportunity to wring out the engine, making it a much more satisfying drive for cars that are defined by their engines.

I've driven my share of sports cars up this road, and the M5 is right up their with some of my favorite vehicles to drive on this road. What it gives up in nimbleness, it more than makes up with that glorious engine. What a beast!

On one particular night, I had an opportunity to follow a GT3 RS part way up the the mountain. It wasn't a fair fight, but I had fun keeping him from getting too far away. Got the a thumbs up at the top of the hill, and we parted ways. Few 4000lb 4-door sedans would get that level of respect. :cheers:

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
I forgot to note that I have made one small mod over the last few weeks. I replaced the fading black Start/Stop button with an aftermarket red one I picked up on Amazon. I love the new look!

It's a trivial change that took no more than 10 minutes to do.

I covered the area around the button with painters tape to protect the surface, and used a flat plastic tool to gently pry out the switch module. It's held in with a clip pictured below.

Unclip the switch from the wire by pressing in the locking mechanism on both sides.

You can then gently pull off the silver bezel using a plastic tool, and you can get a good view of the button cover. In this case you can see the fading/discoloration in the center that's been bothering me since I bought the car.

You can then gently pry off the switch cover and press on the new one. Everything clips back together and then it's time to crack open a beer and enjoy the new look. ;)

It also still lights up (whew!).

Overall, despite the relatively low cost, the part seems of decent quality. We'll see how it holds up...

21 - 40 of 45 Posts