BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The search for a E60 M5 has not been an easy one.

It’s taken almost 6 months of trawling through autotrader, craigslist and the classifieds on this forum… as well as many agonizing decisions to pass on cars that didn’t meet my criteria.

My very reasonable (in my eyes at least) requirements were:

Manual transmission
Detailed service records,
Minimal mods (with stock parts available)
Aluminum trim on the interior (I never warmed up to the wood trims)
Rod Bearings done
Ventilated seats with the active bolsters

Additionally, I was looking for a car with ideally sub-100k miles, had a black/white/blue exterior, and was owned by a car enthusiast.

Needless to say, I soon discovered that my requirements were not that reasonable after all, and finding a car that met all (or even half) of them would be challenging. I almost gave up on a few occasions, and even briefly entertained the idea of getting a M3 instead… but it was a moment of weakness that passed quickly.

I’m glad I waited.

A gem appeared a few weeks ago on my local CraigsList, and so began a 2 week odyssey that culminated with me picking up my new to me 2008 E60 M5 late this week.

The car is currently sitting at a bit over 73k miles, has a two owner history prior to me, and (perhaps most importantly) a stack of service records showcasing a life of pampering and frequent oil changes by the previous owner. Both the idle *and* throttle actuators were recently replaced, along with the addition of new rotors/brakes and Michelin PSS tires.

The car is in great shape inside and out, and the list of mods are minimal:

Dinan springs/sways, strut bar, LCA monoball kit,
Thicker leather wrapped steering wheel with contrasting red/blue stitching (fitted to original airbag)
Eisenmann Race Exhaust

All the stock parts were included with the car.

As an added bonus, the previous owner had the rod bearings replaced prior to the sale, along with the usual set of “while you’re in there items”: motor mounts, high pressure vanos line, vanos filter, inspecting the vanos pump gears, etc.

The original bearings were starting to show copper on a few of them… so it was time to get them replaced and I’m glad it’s now done.

One less thing to worry about.

I'm loving the car so far, though the exhaust is in conflict with my “wolf in sheep’s clothing” goal, so I’ll probably swap it back to stock (for now).

Plenty more to come as I personalize the vehicle to my spec, and I’m looking forward to the journey with this V10 beast.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
List of options:

S261A Side airbags for rear passengers
S2MAA Manual Transmission
S2VBA Tire pressure display
S302A Alarm system
S319A Integrated universal remote control
S322A Comfort access
S403A Glass roof, electrical
S415A Sun-blind, rear
S430A Interior/outside mirror with auto dip
S431A Interior mirror with automatic-dip
S441A Smoker package
S442A Cup holder
S453A Climate-controlled seats, front
S459A Seat adjuster, electric, with memory
S465A Through-loading system
S473A Armrest front
S494A Seat heating driver/passenger
S496A Seat heating, rear
S4MAA M multifunction seat
S4MFA Active backrest width adjustment
S502A Headlight cleaning system
S508A Park Distance Control (PDC)
S522A Xenon Light
S524A Adaptive Headlights
S534A Automatic air conditioning
S540A Cruise control
S563A Light package
S609A Navigation system Professional
S610A Head-up display
S620A Voice control
S639A Preparation f mobile phone cpl. USA/CDN
S645A BMW US Radio
S655A Satellite tuner
S694A Provisions for BMW 6 CD changer
S697A Area-Code 1 for DVD
S6FLA USB/Audio interface
S6UHA Traffic Information
S737A Interior mouldings, Alu Shadow, brushed
S752A Individual audio system
S754A M Rear spoiler
S818A Battery master switch
S845A Acoustic belt warning
S853A Language version English
S876A Radio frequency 315 MHz
S8SPA Control unit COP
S992A Control of number-plate attachment
S9AAA Outer skin protection

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here's my current short term TODO list:

1. Adjust the HUD to be more visible at my seating position (https://www.turnermotorsport.com/t-tech-tip-e60-hud-adjustment)
2. Return exhaust system to stock (AKA "chauffeur my 8 year old daughter to school" mode)
3. Change oil in ~500 miles (Rod Bearing break-in period - staying under 4500 RPM until then)
4. New OEM floor mats (on order)

Need to start small. ;)

·
Registered
50 Posts
if youre thinkin of selling the eisenmann and willing to ship to so cal, i might be interested..

nice find! just got mine as well

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Looks great.

Enjoy
Thanks!

Congrats! Nice that rod bearings sorted , you can enjoy your beast from day one!
Yes, that was a requirement for my peace of mind. The only downside is that's it's taking incredible restraint to keep the revs under 4500 while in the break-in period! ;)

if youre thinkin of selling the eisenmann and willing to ship to so cal, i might be interested..
I haven't decided if I'll be selling the Eisenmann exhaust yet. I suspect in a year or so I'll be looking to make the exhaust louder to change things up. If I change my mind, I'll post it up in the classifieds.

Nice looking car, my car arrived last week. Have any interior pics?
Will post some up after washing the car today...

·
Registered
5,949 Posts
@Silvek congrats on your 6MT!

I’ve enjoyed driving my 6MT for over 130,000 miles. Replaced my RB at 80,000 miles and 150,000 miles — and still loving it!

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Nice looking car, my car arrived last week. Have any interior pics?
Here you go, I managed to take a few pictures earlier today.

I love the layout of the E60 interior, simple and classy to my eyes... especially in silver and black.

The leather is still in great shape. Not the sportiest seats I've sat in, but comfortable and with support in the right areas.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Things are moving fast. As much as I loved the sound of the race exhaust, I needed my car to be more Pierce Brosnan, and less Daniel Craig.

Gone are the oval tips of the Eisenmann exhaust (as well as the mid-pipe without resonator).

And the round tips of the stock exhaust are adorning the M5 again.

I actually prefer the look of the original round tips, but the car is indeed much quieter than before.

I will openly admit that I felt a momentary pang of regret and almost turned the car back around to ask them to restore the V10 howl... but I did not. And I'm glad for it.

I took my daughter to a birthday party today and the sight of her quietly reading a book in my rear view mirror as I sliced through traffic was priceless. Gone are the stares, the head shakes, the cars trying to race me at traffic lights.

Though I'm sure that there are a few eyebrows raised and quiet chuckles as I pull away...

·
Registered
13 Posts
This is awesome!

I've had my '09 for about 2ish months now and I'm pretty sure it's the only one in town. Small community with about 20K people total. Nobody pays my car any mind, but it is super fun to pull up at the front of a pack at a traffic light. No effort required to walk away, usually just P-400, Shift 3, and Drive.

The other day someone might have recognized what I was driving though. I had the windows down to enjoy the grumble a bit better (I'm totally stock). I was running through the range in 1st as we pulled away, and I hear a Honda Accord right out my window howling. He was definetly flogging it. OK, grab second and seeya later!

I'm not sure if he was trying to race or just in a hurry, but it was fun either way.

Enjoy!!!

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
This is awesome!

I've had my '09 for about 2ish months now and I'm pretty sure it's the only one in town. Small community with about 20K people total. Nobody pays my car any mind, but it is super fun to pull up at the front of a pack at a traffic light. No effort required to walk away, usually just P-400, Shift 3, and Drive.

The other day someone might have recognized what I was driving though. I had the windows down to enjoy the grumble a bit better (I'm totally stock). I was running through the range in 1st as we pulled away, and I hear a Honda Accord right out my window howling. He was definetly flogging it. OK, grab second and seeya later!

I'm not sure if he was trying to race or just in a hurry, but it was fun either way.

Enjoy!!!
Yup, a real wolf in sheeps clothing.

Took the whole family out today, which is a real pleasure given that my other fun cars are all 2-doors. And, as if that wasn't enough, the I let the wife drive the M5 and she gave it a thumbs up.

Weirdly, her favorite part of the car was the bottom hinged gas pedal, which reminded her of the old E30 she had as her first car. :cool2:

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
I also managed to knock another item off my todo list: I adjusted the HUD so that it was visible from my seating position.

Opening up the center display was trivial. But reaching the adjustment nut way in the back required some careful engineering of a tool that was long enough.

You need two deep sockets: a 13mm for the outer locking nut, and a 6mm for the inner rod that adjusts the actual position.

After some monkeying I got it where I need it. Job done.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts