BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A short film testing out my new HD Hero camera mounted on the M5. For a $300 camera I think it does a pretty good job, both with the video and the audio. Enjoy!

<iframe src="http://player.vimeo.com/video/17100298?title=0&byline=0&portrait=0&color=12a317" width="640" height="360" frameborder="0"></iframe>

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
Nice camera choice. You'll enjoy it a lot. Thanks for sharing :)

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Very nice. Where and how did you mount the camera? Can you post pics? I tried strapping mine to the passenger headrest on our last M5 meet and video was too shaky.

·
Registered
329 Posts
I have been looking at Contour HD and various GoPro models.
Your sound is good. Outside cameras must be tethered on track.
Nice video; thanks.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Registered
534 Posts
It's on my Xmas list. Two guys had them at the track two weeks ago and literally stuck them all over their cars with no secondary restraints. I think at >130 I'd want a little more than a suction cup, but they had no problems (that day anyway). Thanks for posting!

·
Registered
329 Posts
It's on my Xmas list. Two guys had them at the track two weeks ago and literally stuck them all over their cars with no secondary restraints. I think at >130 I'd want a little more than a suction cup, but they had no problems (that day anyway). Thanks for posting!
I was at a SCCA event this fall and I recall that any outside mounted camera is required to be tethered to the car for safety of all cars on track.
Is this true?

·
Registered
222 Posts
Mann how did you get the sound and no wind ??? I been trying to do that for weeks please show me what you did

Nice video Im working on mine.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Mann how did you get the sound and no wind ??? I been trying to do that for weeks please show me what you did

Nice video Im working on mine.
There actually is some wind noise. I used the camera cover with the openings. They recommend using the cover without openings
for speeds over 100 mph. (The basic camera kits comes with both covers). I was going less than 100 so I used the cover with openings. I want to try the other at some point. Camera position on the car might have something to do with how much wind noise you get.

·
Registered
534 Posts
I was at a SCCA event this fall and I recall that any outside mounted camera is required to be tethered to the car for safety of all cars on track.
Is this true?
I think the specific requirements depend on which track group you run with. The event I referred to was a BMW CCA event which, in my somewhat limited experience (I've only run with four or five different groups), seems to be one of the most regulated and safety conscious. Apparently teathering wasn't required, or no one caught it. It seems to me that teathering would be a good idea and erring on the safer side, but at the same time I've had to dodge much larger car parts on the track on several occassions.

·
Registered
227 Posts
W8M5,
That is a pretty neat gizmo. What exhaust system do you have on your car?
That's the sound I'm looking for...not too loud, just right!

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
W8M5,
That is a pretty neat gizmo. What exhaust system do you have on your car?
That's the sound I'm looking for...not too loud, just right!
Lol! Totally stock.

I think it sounds good because the camera is so close to the exhaust on the rear shots, and then on the front shots
the engine sound vibration comes through the car body to the camera.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Are you kidding me? I was definitely fooled. Thanks

1 - 17 of 17 Posts