BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2009 M6 Coupe 24000 miles Saphire Black
1,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi

Our B7 has not been completly fit for fight lately, and yesterday it started to behave funny during idle.

On idle it sound like it are missing a cylinder, but as soon as I start to drive it all of them are working.

I am driving it to Munchen next week for service but are a bit sceptical to drive this long without knowing what is or could be wrong.

Any ideas........

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Erik said:
Hi

Our B7 has not been completly fit for fight lately, and yesterday it started to behave funny during idle.

On idle it sound like it are missing a cylinder, but as soon as I start to drive it all of them are working.

I am driving it to Munchen next week for service but are a bit sceptical to drive this long without knowing what is or could be wrong.

Any ideas........
grrrrrrr grrrrrrr grrrrrrr And as if the idle problem was not enough, for the #¤%¤% time the engine would not start. It starts normaly and then it stops after a few second, it stutters like hell and dies out slowly, if I hit the throtthle it dies instantly !!!!!!!!!!!!

I am getting tires of this problem, we have had this for a loooooooooong time, every time we put it to the workshop the car starts and nothing is found.

It must be someone on this board that could give me an idea what this is.....

·
Premium Member
8,803 Posts
Erik said:
grrrrrrr grrrrrrr grrrrrrr And as if the idle problem was not enough, for the #¤%¤% time the engine would not start. It starts normaly and then it stops after a few second, it stutters like hell and dies out slowly, if I hit the throtthle it dies instantly !!!!!!!!!!!!

I am getting tires of this problem, we have had this for a loooooooooong time, every time we put it to the workshop the car starts and nothing is found.

It must be someone on this board that could give me an idea what this is.....
Considering the car has probably been sitting all winter and you're just getting it up and running I would consider contaminated fuel. Fill up the car with fresh fuel and check the fuel filter.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Hi Erik,

just a thought, my wife's car had a similar problem with the engine dieing at random moments without any clear indication why it died. It also never went out when it was in the shop. At the end of the day we found a broken wire between the ignition key and the engine - but finding it was pure luck.

Cheers, Alex

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
what ignition system does the B7 have? If so, are all the sensors OK, or are they in need of a clean or replacement?

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
kees said:
Considering the car has probably been sitting all winter and you're just getting it up and running I would consider contaminated fuel. Fill up the car with fresh fuel and check the fuel filter.
Nope, thats not it Kees

The car has been all the way to Astria this spring so the fuel is OK :haha:
Probably been driven close to 6000 km recently.

Fuel filter has not been changed for a while, but does not explain this problem.

I am pretty sure it has to do with the fuel supply, probably electrical/electronikal error. Any "mechanical or phisical" error would normaly be either working or not, this problem comes and go. See my description in post #1.

My guess is that in a couple of days it will start and work fine for a few weeks. :mad:

I have spoken to our mechanic in Munich, and he will start to adjust the valves, change the spark plugs and take it from there.

Andy G said:
what ignition system does the B7 have? If so, are all the sensors OK, or are they in need of a clean or replacement?
Hi Andy
Regarding type of injection system I do not remember. Its the "new" B7 engine that was introduced in the B7/1 series that came out in 1984 based in the 3430 ccm engine.

If I manage to start the **** thing I will be on my way on A7 thrue Germany going south tuesday or Wednesday next week. So if this turns up in you rear view mirror,

MOVE :wroom: :1:
Green B7 Coupe with Norwegian plates will 100% be me.

Give me a wave..... and cross you fingers that the engine will run until I reach Munich.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Guess what, when we tried to start the car at the shop to day, it startet hmmm

·
Premium Member
8,803 Posts
Erik said:
Guess what, when we tried to start the car at the shop to day, it startet hmmm
Makes you feel confident about taking a long drive with it doesn't it? ;)
Have you considered dampness in the ignition cabling?

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
kees said:
Makes you feel confident about taking a long drive with it doesn't it? ;)
Have you considered dampness in the ignition cabling?

Not sure I know what you mean, but I have though of the possibility that the cables need replacement.

I have also though about the fuel pressure regulator and a indicator placed on the gear box.

About the drive, as long as the car us running is should be safe, so I will drive all the way from Norway to Munchen without stop. I belive close to 1600 km......

I the car do not break down I will visit BMW M on Thursday and test drive the new M5....... :wroom:

·
Premium Member
2,941 Posts
Erik,

1: Did you check the ignition rotor and distributer? If the contacts are green corroded or the centre contact is blown, replace it. I for one always keep a spare in my trunk after I recently had to replace mine after only 45k km!

2: Did you check the plugs? Especially when there is a problem with the ignition, there will be excess fuel in the combustion chambers

3: Air leaks in the intake system will cause lean running conditions. Especially the gaskets between the intake manifold, the cylinder head or the large connection hoses between the AFM and the intake manifold!.

Good Luck :cheers:

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
raymond woertman said:
Erik,

1: Did you check the ignition rotor and distributer? If the contacts are green corroded or the centre contact is blown, replace it. I for one always keep a spare in my trunk after I recently had to replace mine after only 45k km!

2: Did you check the plugs? Especially when there is a problem with the ignition, there will be excess fuel in the combustion chambers

3: Air leaks in the intake system will cause lean running conditions. Especially the gaskets between the intake manifold, the cylinder head or the large connection hoses between the AFM and the intake manifold!.

Good Luck :cheers:
No, No and No :) I have not checked anything of those yet, but I have considered point 1 and 2.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts