BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After rolling on Michelin Pilot Super Sports for 2 years I will never go back. They are lightyears ahead of the stock tires. If you are into light hearted humor, I made a funny video promoting the Michelin tire (unpaid just for fun). However in it I do say that if Michelin gives me $1 million I'll wear the Michelin man costume in all my future videos. Enjoy :)!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-yX...omment_id=z12ysx052k2mj3n0r22qungwkvmvgflx204

·
Registered
169 Posts
Previous owner had Toyos on the car ... they are not up for the job
Got the front ones replaced over the weekend with PSS, rear ones coming soon
Michelin PSS all the way

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
I'm running PSS's on the M3, but IMO the M5, at least in my relatively stock (koni yellows and pf sway bushings with stock springs and sways) M5 does not handle well enough to deal with the grip they generate. I'm running PAS3's on the M5, and they seem well matched to the handling limits of the car (suspension doesn't get overwhelmed).

Even the PAS3's have way more grip than the tires the suspension was designed around (conti sport contact 1s and PS1s).

·
Registered
631 Posts
I'm running PSS's on the M3, but IMO the M5, at least in my relatively stock (koni yellows and pf sway bushings with stock springs and sways) M5 does not handle well enough to deal with the grip they generate. I'm running PAS3's on the M5, and they seem well matched to the handling limits of the car (suspension doesn't get overwhelmed).

Even the PAS3's have way more grip than the tires the suspension was designed around (conti sport contact 1s and PS1s).

On the way to work every morning I get the pleasure of a hairpin turn (from one road appx 45 mph limit to another with appx 45 mph limit but traffic moves anywhere from 50-60mph on these roads) that is usually empty at 6:00am. I usually attack the turn in 3rd and rap it out until front wheel screeches (old tires) or slides (A/S 3).
I can say that I've tried every combo (Power on/off, DSC on/off) and even with new A/S 3s...the M5 is kind of a pig in hard hairpins.
The front left (in this case) tire simply gets overwhelmed by the forces and I wouldn't think a stiffer roll bar or even stiffer spring/dampers would save it.
The M5 seems to have limitations given it's 4 door nature and heavy (but not overly so)....but I love it and given the comfort and styling of this car, it is a blast to drive. It's no M3 or Mustang but then again...it never tried to be. I had a very built newer Mustang GT and it gripped on rails but didn't have the class the BMW M5 has.
That said, when I bought the car, the prev owner took me on some curvy roads that was level and even with bald Yokos...the grip was astonishing. It is what sold me as much as the brute power.
The stock M suspension really is not that bad and is comparable to a newer Shelby in weight and cornering. My buddy had a 2008 Shelby with a tune and pulley (600 RWHP dyno) and I put that through a foot stomping and it also amazed me with the supercar tires. When your car gets up over 4000 pounds...it can only do so much.
I had 3 passengers in my M5 on the old tires and went hauling through an uphill windy hill (appx 830 pounds of humans) in 3rd gear at high revs and they all crapped at the cornering.
This was just after my son gave us a ride in his new caddy CTS-V with 550 HP.

·
Registered
12,923 Posts
On the way to work every morning I get the pleasure of a hairpin turn (from one road appx 45 mph limit to another with appx 45 mph limit but traffic moves anywhere from 50-60mph on these roads) that is usually empty at 6:00am. I usually attack the turn in 3rd and rap it out until front wheel screeches (old tires) or slides (A/S 3).
I can say that I've tried every combo (Power on/off, DSC on/off) and even with new A/S 3s...the M5 is kind of a pig in hard hairpins.
The front left (in this case) tire simply gets overwhelmed by the forces and I wouldn't think a stiffer roll bar or even stiffer spring/dampers would save it.
The M5 seems to have limitations given it's 4 door nature and heavy (but not overly so)....but I love it and given the comfort and styling of this car, it is a blast to drive. It's no M3 or Mustang but then again...it never tried to be. I had a very built newer Mustang GT and it gripped on rails but didn't have the class the BMW M5 has.
That said, when I bought the car, the prev owner took me on some curvy roads that was level and even with bald Yokos...the grip was astonishing. It is what sold me as much as the brute power.
The stock M suspension really is not that bad and is comparable to a newer Shelby in weight and cornering. My buddy had a 2008 Shelby with a tune and pulley (600 RWHP dyno) and I put that through a foot stomping and it also amazed me with the supercar tires. When your car gets up over 4000 pounds...it can only do so much.
I had 3 passengers in my M5 on the old tires and went hauling through an uphill windy hill (appx 830 pounds of humans) in 3rd gear at high revs and they all crapped at the cornering.
This was just after my son gave us a ride in his new caddy CTS-V with 550 HP.
A rear sway bar would help a little, but invest in some camber plates. Adds more camber up front. Will make a big difference. As would wider front tires and wider wheels. At higher speeds, you should be able to get some TTO and rotate the rear.

Still a heavy car, but set up, it does amazingly well for its heft.

Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
169 Posts
+2 from me. 1 for my B5 S4 and 1 for my M5. I was pretty happy to find out the PO I got the car from a few weeks ago had put on a brand new set of PSS less than a year ago.

But yes, after driving on PSS for 2 years on the S4 and from my limited experience thus far in the M5 I would not put any other summer tire on either car. To put it simply, the hype behind them is 100% truth.

·
Registered
3,905 Posts
A rear sway bar would help a little, but invest in some camber plates. Adds more camber up front. Will make a big difference. As would wider front tires and wider wheels. At higher speeds, you should be able to get some TTO and rotate the rear.

Regards,

Jerry

Really excellent advice here; with 275s all around, front and rear sway bars and camber plates (-1.6 front), I was having no problems hanging on the *** of a 911 C4S on some twisty NorCal roads (highway 36) for 100 miles of hard driving...

This was running on PSS tires, btw.

·
Registered
631 Posts

Regards,
Jerry

Yes, and hopefully my kudos for this car came thru.
I put camber setup on other cars and I know they help.
I'm not looking to track my M5 but 275s in front...I wouldn't think they'd fit without some changes.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Even running 245's up front it still grips really well for a 3900lb sedan. Michelin messaged me about this video saying they loved it ahah.

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
Hands down the PSS are the best for this car IMO. "Cheaper" tires are fun (to swing the tail around), but when you want to put the power down, PSS FTW!

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Well crap.. I was all set to order another set of Hankook V12's that are on closeout at Tire Rack. I've been pretty pleased with the current set for day to day driving. But all this enthusiasm for the PSS has me reconsidering that decision. I've got some track days in my future and I've no doubt the PSS will perform better and are worth the extra $500 for a set of four 275's ($137 vs. $256 each). After all the suspension work I've done, the car deserves the best tire I can afford.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts