BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
2002 BMW M5
1,369 Posts
So I purchased a VT525 kit through Brecus a few weeks back and received everything earlier this week and did the install on Thursday night. Everything was straight forward and not too complicated, I would say the hardest part was the fuel injectors and the main SC bracket, is it a VERY tight and precise fit. I did it with a mechanic of mine and it took us from 6pm till about 12am. Overall impressions, the SOUND is amazing, makes people turn heads at every light :grinyes:, I am still breaking it in this weekend and will post dyno numbers in about a week! Here's some pics of the job.

I also did the fuel pump and the fuel tank purge valve while I was at it which took another hour.

PICS BELOW...

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
ohhh so jealous bro!!!!! congrats I may have to pull the trigger on this myself!!!! btw next time turn the photos my neck hurts LOL !!!

congrats and enjoy!!!!!

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
Congrats! Id like the VT550 kit myself, but if i do bite the bullet i think it will be the VT525 kit. Im curious the real life performance difference between the two.

·
Registered
2002 BMW M5
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sorry about the phone pics, i'll post up the dyno results after about 1000 miles, right now I don't rev it past 4k and all I feel is more low end torque/pickup, not a night and day difference (yet at least).

·
Registered
6,940 Posts
Nice! I envy all of you ESS owners......

·
Registered
2002 BMW M5
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
pics

pics

Attachments

·
Registered
6,918 Posts
Is there any compelling reason you went with VT525 over VT550 SC? I'm planning to eventually go the FI route, appreciate any prespectives.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Congrats! You're gonna love it!

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
Not knowing much on these FI kits, does this one not include an intercooler? Also, does the bov have to be recirculated to the intake to prevent stalling? Or can it be vented to atmosphere if so desired?

·
Registered
2002 BMW M5
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Is there any compelling reason you went with VT525 over VT550 SC? I'm planning to eventually go the FI route, appreciate any prespectives.
Basically for price and reliability of the motor and all the parts associated with it, clutch, guibo, tires etc... I think for me price was #1 though, I spent the extra $1k on a new fuel pump, fan clutch, evap purge valve and other little parts.

Reactions: chowdah

·
Registered
2002 BMW M5
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Not knowing much on these FI kits, does this one not include an intercooler? Also, does the bov have to be recirculated to the intake to prevent stalling? Or can it be vented to atmosphere if so desired?
No intercooler, not too sure about the BOV, all you do is connect it to a vacuum line under the plenum.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
MAF systems usually recirculate, MAP or throttle based systems do not need to be.

Although it looks like it recirculates to me.

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
MAF systems usually recirculate, MAP or throttle based systems do not need to be.

Although it looks like it recirculates to me.
Would suggest Googling this, on my old turbo'd car, the original weak plastic valve recirculated, whereas I had fitted an HKS SSQV, which vented to atmosphere. One issue with vent to atmo setups is that when backing off and having it vent to atmo is that there is a small amount of time when the amount of metered air is wrong, the MAF(s) have accounted for air taken in that is no longer present after the MAF(s). Various Jap boxes can account for this but it then gets complicated. My belief is that arguments have raged for years over the relative benefits of recirculating and vent to atmo, and it will doubtless continue. My knowledge of these valves is limited with regard to supercharging though, but it would logical that similar principles apply, it is the method of driving the forced charger that differs.

As usual, happy to be corrected. :tonquesmilie:

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
rated ///M,

It's alway nice to see a S/C kit on an E39 M5. The power increase is noticeable & the HP to & ratio is always good here. Thanks for correcting the pictures & have fun with her. And you picture just reminded me, I need to replace my ugly square OEM oil cap with the E46 M3 unit like you did... ! :cheers:

·
Registered
2002 BMW M5
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
rated ///M,

It's alway nice to see a S/C kit on an E39 M5. The power increase is noticeable & the HP to & ratio is always good here. Thanks for correcting the pictures & have fun with her. And you picture just reminded me, I need to replace my ugly square OEM oil cap with the E46 M3 unit like you did... ! :cheers:
Thank you for your feedback! get yourself an ///M3 oil cap ASAP it is imperative :grinyes:

·
Registered
2002 BMW M5
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
6 hours is pretty good time to install the s/c kit.

Enjoy it:grinyes:
Thank you thank you, im sure i'll enjoy it more today, when I can use the full boost! :M5rev:

1 - 20 of 64 Posts