BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello All,
I have had a wonderful outdoor experience over the last 10 days. We went some 300 Km north of the Polar Circle and went back-packing on cross country skies. No radio, no telephone, no mobile, no TV....Ahhh!

During this period I let our son, who is a very gentle and experienced driver use the M5 (our E39 since the E34 M5 is broken).
The car now is with BMW in another city (300 km away) and awaits repair. When my son started the car after a short stop, it was extremly unwilling to run. He immediately stopped the engine and had the car towed to BMW for trouble shooting. It took them 4 days to free the only M5 mechanic they have...
Well, the first test they did was to change a camshaft sensor (2 have been changed in the last 6 moths) because the did not get any reading from it. They also changed the sparkplugs since they were wet, sooty and rusty!?
Result? No willingness from the engine. M5 mechanic arrives and starts to dismantle the engine. Look and behold...the small camshaft chain that connects both camshafts was missing??!! They later on found it in the oilpan togehter with four knocked off boltheads, probably from the Vanos gearbox.

They told me that the engine has been running with one camshaft standing still and at least one valve fully open. You can all figure out what that will do to the valve, the comustion chanber in the cylinder head and possibly the piston.

I decided to try to trace what has been changed on this true "Monday morning car" with regards to the engine. Not only has a Vanos gearbox been changed in september last year (I have reported on that earlier on this board) but in October of 2002 they changed both Vanos on the car. So this will be the 4th one!!

Other problems BMW has not bee able to sort out is the resetting of the steering wheel to the pre-set position at start-up and the factory installed telephone. The phone has been changed twice during the period I have owned the car and the problem of maintaining the volume level is still there. I don't have the energy to bother any more.

Who said BMW builds quality cars?

I am now looking at the possibility of trading this car for a car that does not find its way to the BMW Service garage on its own. :blink: Perhaps a sensible car for once...Hm, wonder what that could be?

Sorry for the long post, but I am getting fed up with the poor building quality of this so called prestige car.

I am a bit lucky though, since I have an insurane that probably will pick up the bill for the rebuild of the engine.

Cheers.

·
Registered
5,078 Posts
Sorry to hear about your unfortunate experiences with your E39:sad3:

Just my opinion but I think these cars are built properly, the problem is the mechanics/techs that work on these extremely complex cars that are the problem.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: The 4th VANOS replacement (long), Update

Well, I talked to the garage today. They had taken the top off from the cylinder bank. Now it seems that the head gasket may have blown and water has been sucked into one of the cylinders. The cylinder wall is severly scratched. They think that the water may have hit the valve when the piston was moving up and the hit made the camshaft stop and snap the chain.
They are now talking about a replacement engine or a new one. I'll se what the insurance company wants to do. If they want to save money by putting a second hand engine in, they can keep the car.

Cheers.

Ps. I still have not received the new alternator for my old M5 (E34), so currently I have two M5 and non of them is working.Ds. :sad1:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts