BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
6,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It takes a community. Frequently this is really what its all about in life.

El Diablo developed a slow oil leak from one of her left Vanos seals. Not an urgent repair, but with this car, everything gets attended to. We decided this weekend we would treat her to a little freshening up.

Vanos seal replacement is no small job, but what a great opportunity to spend a weekend with some great people doing what car nuts love to do.<O:p

As it turned out, Josh’s (PhillyM5) speed shop (AllSpeed, Grand Rapids MI) had their first annual Dyno Day on Saturday. Some 80 cars from the Grand Rapids area were reported to have shown up. BBQ, dyno runs all day, exhaust fumes, crankin music on the sound system… what a day. Heaven.<O:p

My girlfriend and I drove Diablo up from ChiTown the night before, accompanied by Kenny (Wi Ked M5) who was interested in some of the technical aspects as well as the Dyno Day scene. Shadowman’s black masterpiece made a pretty splashy appearance during the height of the Dyno Day hubub. There was a very healthy crowd of guys and girls on hand, many mingling near the DynoJet whopping it up with every run.<O:p

Wow, you should have seen the response when we drove up. I felt like some kind of celebrity, but I might as well have been the Invisible Man. Obviously the car was the star! :hihihi:<O:p

Josh has a buddy who works for a local BMW dealer (Chad), and we set about pulling out the front hardware, including the supercharger and related pieces, the electric fan, intercooler lines, etc, all while the DynoJet wailed nearby and people mingled over to check out our project and ask about the car. Part of the fun in Diablo's engine bay is that it is not exactly ‘by the book’. Various components were moved by D/A to make room for the supercharger and associated components. Along the way, it was a good opportunity to swap in new plugs, clean the air filter, and take care of a few other items. Whenever we encountered a glitch we could not solve, Shadowman was only a cell phone call away.<O:p

To change vanos seals, you have to pull out each vanos controller a few inches (we did both banks). To do this, an electronic actuator and air pressure is normally used to move the valves to enable the vanos to be pulled out. This is the ‘by-the-book’ procedure, but no matter how much we blew, actuated, pulled, and grunted, neither the left nor right side vanos would budge more than about an inch. Late in the afternoon we concluded that the valve covers would have to come off so that we could move the cams. This meant pulling the plenum and fuel rails and really exposing this lovely engine.

<O:pTo make a long story short, it turned into a long two-day job. We finally wrapped up around 10:00 Sunday night. In addition to the above-mentioned items, we also restored the original D/A by-pass design after some experimentation last year with an alternate configuration (subject of another thread). While the valve covers were off, the last of the Middle East sand was also cleaned from between the valve cover fins… a reminder of when the car terrorized Bahrain in the hands of Black M5. <O:p

I gave the honors to Josh to take her out for some fun after she was all buttoned up. The car roared, and Josh stormed the hood creating some delicious sound while giving rides to all the die-hards that stuck it out. Included in this impromptu Diablo crew were Josh’s brother Mike, Josh/Mike’s friend Steve, Chad, Kenny, and Sabrina. Diablo put out so much boost that she popped a water injection bung from the intake charge tube. Sweeet. :haha2: We had a 3.5 hour drive back to ChiTown, so time didn’t permit getting the gal on the DynoJet.. next time. <O:p

By 11:00, the temp was in the 30’s and it was frickn cold. We hadn’t eaten anything all day and all night. We were shivering and starving. Although Sabrina, Kenny and I had a nice breakfast, Josh hadn’t eaten anything since the nachos we munched on the night before at a Grand Rapids bar. I don’t know what keeps that guy going.<O:p

Funny how it works. Physically, it is miserable… cold, filthy, greasy, hungry, back aching, feet aching, back of legs aching from all the bending over the engine bay.<O:p

But you’d do it all over again in a heartbeat. In fact, you can’t wait to get back into it.<O:p

A picture is worth 1000 words. The first picture below sums it all up for me.<O:p

The weekend was not just about being under the hood of the Shadowman’s black masterpiece. It was about great people that come together with a common love and passion. It was one of the most soulful weekends I’ve spent in a long time.<O:p

Sunday was Josh’s Birthday. He spent his entire day and night tirelessly working on El Diablo. He gave up family time for this. He told me this was a birthday present for him. Josh is simply the coolest dude I’ve ever met.<O:p

This is what its all about. :biggrin:

Dave

Pictures:

1) A little slice of heaven. Foreground: Josh and Chad; background: Kenny and Sabrina.
2) Chad
3) Kenny and Josh
4) Heart of El Diablo (sans supercharger, induction tubes, intercooler/lines, electric fan, belts, plenum/throttle bodies/injector rails, valve covers)

Attachments

·
Registered
8,153 Posts
That was pretty good read...thanks for sharing:cheers:

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
+1 great story

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
Yo Dave...

It was a fun weekend.. no doubt.
Always good to see you and Sabrina, and of course Kenny.:cheers:

Thanks for letting me take Diablo out for a spin. I absolutly love it. It is so refined and smooth. I also love the 3.15 gears. Me and Sabrina where shooting down the road and through out 3rd gear we were leaving some nice "snake like" tire marks on the road. Nothing more exciting than peeling out at 100mph. With my gears (3.64's).. Once there is a decent amount of traction lost... it just blows of the tires. Yours is so controllable. It just pulls and pulls while spinning. Unbelievable.:hihi:

She is strong and extremely healthy. Not to mention gorgeous. It was an honor to have Diablo at the shop. She is welcome anytime.

:M5eyes:

·
Registered
939 Posts
Dave / Josh,

Very fun trip. I do have a few pictures and videos from the experience (Dyno day, surgery on El Diablo). I'll try and sort some and post as soon as I can.

Here are a few pictures for starters.

Headed to the shop
Grand Rapids trip 4-25--26-08 002.jpg Grand Rapids trip 4-25--26-08 004.jpg Grand Rapids trip 4-25--26-08 005.jpg

Dyno day in motion
As Dave mentioned, there were quite a few folks were present. The turn out may have been even better if the weather hadn't turned sour at the last minute. More pictures of the cars later.
Grand Rapids trip 4-25--26-08 009.jpg Grand Rapids trip 4-25--26-08 050.jpg Grand Rapids trip 4-25--26-08 010.jpg

People were quite mesmerized by El Diablo. It is pretty funny how many people thought it was the ten cylinder M5.
Grand Rapids trip 4-25--26-08 008.jpg

Pictures on the surgery :eek:oohhh: to come shortly...

·
Registered
6,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Very fun trip. I do have a few pictures and videos from the experience..
Hey Kenny, cool pix...thanks for posting! :cheers: I don't know how your videos turned out... the only one I shot (other than Joe's Viper dyno run) was of Josh's last fly-by in Diablo...the vid quality was not worthy unfortunately.

·
Registered
939 Posts
I have sorted through a few more pictures of the general Dyno day. Here are a few pictures of the types of cars that were there.

One Bimmer
Grand Rapids trip 4-25--26-08 021.jpg

General shots
Grand Rapids trip 4-25--26-08 019.jpg Grand Rapids trip 4-25--26-08 020.jpg Grand Rapids trip 4-25--26-08 030.jpg Grand Rapids trip 4-25--26-08 016.jpg

Grand Rapids trip 4-25--26-08 040.jpg Grand Rapids trip 4-25--26-08 025.jpg Grand Rapids trip 4-25--26-08 026.jpg Grand Rapids trip 4-25--26-08 027.jpg Grand Rapids trip 4-25--26-08 038.jpg

If I remember correctly, this Infiniti may have had the highest dyno power reading of the day of 535 HP, that is until Joe (Madduc) showed up.
Grand Rapids trip 4-25--26-08 032.jpg Grand Rapids trip 4-25--26-08 033.jpg

Some one was definitely happy about their dyno performance. Decided the best reward was a new set of rear tires. :M5launch: More on this in a bit.
Grand Rapids trip 4-25--26-08 058.jpg

And I thought this was one of the more interesting mods. By any means necessary to get cool air. :hihi:
Grand Rapids trip 4-25--26-08 034.jpg Grand Rapids trip 4-25--26-08 035.jpg

·
Registered
6,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Some things bear repeating... the D/A twins on the road... too cool. Its not often you see two 800+ hp M5s on the road together! :biggrin:

Josh - man, I hope you hang on to your uber beast. She's just too gorgeous and too dialed in...

:M5launch: :M5launch:

Attachments

Reactions: SilverSurfer02

·
Registered
929 Posts
Some things bear repeating... the D/A twins on the road... too cool. Its not often you see two 800+ hp M5s on the road together! :biggrin:

Josh - man, I hope you hang on to your uber beast. She's just too gorgeous and too dialed in...

:M5launch: :M5launch:

+1

AWESOME

·
Registered
584 Posts
these pictures are doctored! and where is Dave (aka wilsodh)???!?! A-ha! he is non-existent

lol kenny will understand.

alright thats enough.

·
Registered
6,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Wow, mythical stature by missing a couple of meets... I'm liking this. I'll have to plan to miss a few more! :1:

·
Registered
584 Posts
lol everyone has stories, and no story is the same! he ranks highly among the M car cult, known only as "wilsodh" and his prize beast.

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
:haha:

Well.... He's no myth to me....:cheers:

Kenny...
Whats up with surgery photo's??
And that short clip of Diablo taking off??:M5launch:

I can never get enough of that car. Work of art.

I am dissapointed we didn't blast those train horns. I completely forgot about them. That would have been the best to blast it during the dyno day. People would have been jumping out of there pants.

·
Registered
939 Posts
All Speed Performance Dyno Day

Here are a few videos from the Dyno day. Each car got two runs on the dyno. Some of the videos below have both runs, but I didn't catch both runs for a couple of cars.

Here is a Nissan Z.

Here is a Ford Mustang GT. I believe it had straight pipes replacing the mufflers, but was a six cylinder.

I believe this is a Chrysler PT Cruiser.

Here is a Chevy Camaro. Had a pretty throaty rumble, with straight pipes replacing the mufflers as well.

There was one guy so happy with his dyno performance, he wanted to get some new tires. :hihi:

Joe's (Madduc) Viper pretty much took the cake and ended the day as people stood in awe! No one wanted to go on after this show. :hihihi:

If I remember correctly, the first run produced 650 rwhp and 659 torque. :M5launch:

No wonder this gives Josh's car a run for its money.

Josh, you still waiting in anticipation... :p

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
I think the viper hit 680 torque on the second pull.:dunno:

That PT cruiser tripped me out. I think it made 260 at the tire. Pretty funny.

I also was impressed by that 330 that did the burnout. He made 305 at the tire with just a chip.

And I hate those straight pipe cars!!:1zhelp:

Kenny....
thanks for the videos... but im still waiting to see Diablo!cherrsagai

Here is a buddys G35 twin turbo on low boost. He put down 545 at the tire with 16psi. His kill tune is 21ps1.
<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/3Ha29O7Yb08&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/3Ha29O7Yb08&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

·
Registered
939 Posts
El Diablo had a little open heart surgery...

:typing:

Here are a few pictures and videos of the open heart surgery on El Diablo. It is pretty cool seeing the inside of a S62 in any form, but there were some cool things under the bonnet of El Diablo. Hope you all enjoy.

El Diablo made a splash entrance into the shop. People parted the sea.

Grand Rapids trip 4-25--26-08 047.jpg
Working on removing the passenger side VANOS control module. This was a bugger to remove. The driver’s side module was no easier.
<O:p</O:p

Grand Rapids trip 4-25--26-08 048.jpg
Since the VANOS control units were being stubborn, a few more items had to be removed, but we had to be very, very careful.

Grand Rapids trip 4-25--26-08 065.jpg Grand Rapids trip 4-25--26-08 069.jpg
Input to plenum removed and plenum cover removed.

Dave: “Josh, I didn’t think that replacing the exhaust CPS would take all of this disassembly.”
Josh: “No problem Dave. It will just take a few hours.”

Grand Rapids trip 4-25--26-08 070.jpg
A peak through the top of the velocity stacks.

Grand Rapids trip 4-25--26-08 071.jpg Grand Rapids trip 4-25--26-08 075.jpg Grand Rapids trip 4-25--26-08 077.jpg
Plenum removed.

Grand Rapids trip 4-25--26-08 079.jpg
Dave: “This might take more than a few hours.”

Grand Rapids trip 4-25--26-08 080.jpg
Alright, time to remove the valve covers.

Grand Rapids trip 4-25--26-08 083.jpg
Josh: “Dave, I think I found where your leak is an why your car keeps shutting down.”

Grand Rapids trip 4-25--26-08 087.jpg Grand Rapids trip 4-25--26-08 088.jpg
Josh: “Your supercharger is too big for the current application.”

Just kidding all! This is not the SC from El Diablo or the engine, but this an engine in the shop run by the Morris company (at present they share building space with All Speed) getting a work over due to a minor issue. :hihihi:

Grand Rapids trip 4-25--26-08 089.jpg Grand Rapids trip 4-25--26-08 090.jpg Grand Rapids trip 4-25--26-08 091.jpg
EDIT: Here are a couple pictures of the passenger side VANOS control module removed (after much effort).

Grand Rapids trip 4-25--26-08 093.jpg
Josh: “Dave, don’t worry. We’ll get her back together.”
<ST1:p<?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com
</st1:country-region>Chad</ST1:p: “You mean we have to put it back together?"

We decided to break for the evening since it was getting late.
Grand Rapids trip 4-25--26-08 094.jpg Grand Rapids trip 4-25--26-08 097.jpg Grand Rapids trip 4-25--26-08 098.jpg
Camshaft sensor wheels/gears

Grand Rapids trip 4-25--26-08 099.jpg
Josh was so eager to be a part of El Diablo, he had Mike try to weld his finger to the plenum.

Grand Rapids trip 4-25--26-08 104.jpg
Josh is mind melding with El Diablo. When the peake reader doesn't work, you have to use other means. :haha:

Grand Rapids trip 4-25--26-08 110.jpg
Josh: “Crap! Ok, nobody move. Did anyone see where that bolt landed?” grrrrrrr

Grand Rapids trip 4-25--26-08 116.jpg
VANOS control units have been reinstalled with new gaskets. The valve covers are all nice and clean. There was still left over sand from when the car was in <st1:country-region w:st="on">Bahrain</ST1:p</st1:country-region>.

Grand Rapids trip 4-25--26-08 117.jpg Grand Rapids trip 4-25--26-08 118.jpg
Time to bring the plenum back and install.

Grand Rapids trip 4-25--26-08 127.jpg
Cleaned up the carbon fiber plenum input tube.

Grand Rapids trip 4-25--26-08 129.jpg
Getting some fresh coolant in the intercooler.

Grand Rapids trip 4-25--26-08 130.jpg Grand Rapids trip 4-25--26-08 132.jpg
Plenum cover installed. Air intake to the super charger installed.

Grand Rapids trip 4-25--26-08 137.jpg
Ok, everyone look for that bolt that Josh dropped.

Grand Rapids trip 4-25--26-08 138.jpg
Nope, no bolt here.

Grand Rapids trip 4-25--26-08 142.jpg
Josh: “Dave, I think I found that bolt. It was in my pocket. ouich :hihi:”
Josh (thinking to himself in one of those Batman cartoon bubbles): “I can’t believe I am working on El Diablo! This is so cool!” :7:

Grand Rapids trip 4-25--26-08 147.jpg Grand Rapids trip 4-25--26-08 148.jpg
Anyone wonder why El Diablo is so loud!!!

Grand Rapids trip 4-25--26-08 149.jpg
Used a little brake cleaner to clean off the underside and get her all clean.
<O:p

Now that all of the surgery was complete, and fresh fluids were put in, it was time to fire El Diablo up. Ran a little rough, but <st1:country-region w:st="on">Chad</st1:country-region> was checking all of the vitals. The exhaust CPS was still not replaced yet, but it still ran ok. This video is a bit long, but I was trying to capture the moment after so much work had been done.

Had to check a few things as a few systems were not quite working, but eventually go all the little gremlins taken care of.

I recorded a little bit here where there seemed to be some rattling coming from the passenger side.

This looked kind of funny. Not sure why the wheels were spinning on the rack, but I figure even El Diablo was eager for a test run.

Grand Rapids trip 4-25--26-08 160.jpg
Fire in the hole! Well, as soon as we can find out why there is no power controlling the intercooler pump.

Grand Rapids trip 4-25--26-08 168.jpg
Ahhh, a burp of fresh carbon and water.

Finally down off the lift and she was Bad to the Bone.

And now, ready to come out of the shop for testing. This video is a bit long as well as I didn’t edit it.

<O:p
</O:p
Here we go. All warmed up after going around the neighborhood. First hard run.
:applause:

<O:pIdle sound after the first hard take off.</O:p

<O:pAfter changing passengers, time for another test run.
</O:p:M5thumbs:

It was now pretty close to midnight and with El Diablo working well we packed up and got ready to leave. Stopped to get a quick bite to eat and eventually made it home around 3:00 a.m. Unfortunately for me, I actually had to go to work in the morning. :sad1: I am sure you slept in Dave. zzzzz

That's two for two in adventures when Grand Rapids is involved.

:cheers:<O:p</O:p

1 - 20 of 28 Posts