BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well, a big thanks to Ashok for providing the passionate first-hand evaluation of the Michelin tyres the other week. It made me make my mind up, and I ordered a set of Pilot Sport 2s.

Got those today. I rather liked the old Dunlop SP Sport 9000 tyres. But the PS2 s IMHO after just one day of driving: Handles better of dry roads. Handles better on damp roads. Handles better in pouring rain roads at just +7 deg C.

A bit harsher ride over any irregularity on the road surface, but much more quiet. A word of caution: the PS2s are also _very_ quiet when pushed, so if you are used to corner until the Dunlops scream, you will need to change your mode of acoustic feedback.

I have been a very happy Dunlop SP Sport 9000 user, but after today I would like to advice anyone who is about to buy new summer tyres to consider the PS2s.

David

·
Registered
13,638 Posts
Re: Thanks to Ashok Aurora - selected new set of PS2s

You're welcome :M5thumbs:

·
Registered
55 Posts
Glad to hear you like the PS2's. I just had them mounted yesturday.
I still need to install them on the car. Do they have a rotation specification? Are there left and right tires?
Thanks.

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
PS2s are unique. There is no left or right or unidirection to them. However there is an inside and an outside. They can be rotated side to side. I don't know if I recommend that. Radials used to have a problem when running reveresed directions. The few I've tried may have developed a slight vibration or inbalance condition.

·
Registered
463 Posts
They're great tires. But I'll be lucky if the rears see 10k miles. Ouch. ouich

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
EdP said:
They're great tires. But I'll be lucky if the rears see 10k miles. Ouch. ouich
Gosh! How often do you have too much fun? The PS2s are capable of 20k - 25k miles. Mine are at 22k with a couple of track sessions on them. They are due but they have made it this far with pretty even wear.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Richard in NC said:
PS2s are unique. There is no left or right or unidirection to them. However there is an inside and an outside. They can be rotated side to side. I don't know if I recommend that. Radials used to have a problem when running reveresed directions. The few I've tried may have developed a slight vibration or inbalance condition.
Thank you.
I only got 19500 on the OEM Dunlop's. Hoping that these get lower 20's considering I have not tracked it yet.

·
Registered
448 Posts
I have 40,000 K on mine and they are half gone!

·
Registered
623 Posts
<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>

Although Michelin tires better they tend to wear out much quicker then Dunlop but agree with everyone Michelin much quieter and holds the road in dry and in the rain better

:M5launch:

·
Registered
463 Posts
Richard in NC said:
Gosh! How often do you have too much fun? The PS2s are capable of 20k - 25k miles. Mine are at 22k with a couple of track sessions on them. They are due but they have made it this far with pretty even wear.
No track sessions on these tires. I've never smoked the tires or abused them; I want my clutch to last. Just the occasional chirp and spirited driving. They have 8k miles now. I guess I should make it to 10k. Not much more though.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts