BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At Christmas i was in two minds whether or not to renew my extended warranty... THANK GOD I DID.

Over the last couple of months i had noticed that Oil consumption had gone from 1ltr of oil per 1500miles to 200miles per ltr!!!!! (In the last week). So i booked the Beast into my local dealer (Cooper Reading) for it's Inspection 1 service and mentioned the Oil consumption....

Anyway yesterday, Cooper called me and said that they had found the fault, Basically one of the Oil breather pipes had collapsed so the engine was building up oil pressure which was building up in the Plenim Chamber?? so the car was sucking oil in with the air (Hence the blue smoke and oil deposits from the exhaust!).

As well as replacing all of the oil breather pipes, they also have replaced the oil seals on both Vano's units, All of the tubes in the Plenim Chamber (Because of oil contamination), Both Rocker cover gaskets, Both MAF sensors, and fully checked the rest of the top end.

They also found that both front ball joints needed changing and the Anti-roll bar bushes.!!!

When i picked up the car all i had to pay for was the Inspection 1 service.... Thanks BMW Extended Warranty.

Oh yeah it goes like stink once again...........:M5launch:

·
Registered
355 Posts
That certainly your £970 worth (although presumably you paid the old renewal rate) Simon.........

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
cool, nice one si, yep warranty renewal for 1year is around 970.. :( went up beginning of this year.. I renewed mine too till march06, although its not going to cover much on my car i suppose.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Glad to hear that your getting your monies worth, josh

·
Registered
13,638 Posts
The cost of renewal went up earlier this year. BMW-GB gave some lame excuse about switching insurers but it's basically because it was such a loss maker for them. It's still worth it (I recently had a fuel pump & relay replaced "free" under warranty) and I'd recommend anyone to keep it up to date.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I agree with the extended warranty. I recently extended mine about 4 months ago and a little while after that my M started running a little weak.:crying:

Apparently i had an oil leak and it was coating two of the cylinders in oil reducing me to only 6 beacuse the other two were not igniting due to their being covered in oil. Dealer took care of it easy fix paid a few hundred and now were back up to speed. :flag:

I'm also thankful i have a G35 as a backup for these kind of situations.

Oh yeah.....I love Fields BMW!

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
I don't think I'll own such an expensive car to repair without some warranty coverage. I need a safety net for major expense possibiliites.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Does the extended warranty program operate in every country? or is it something that the local subsidiary operates?. I rang BMW Australia about it and they did not mention that they operate anything similar.

·
Registered
5,226 Posts
aaronmiles said:
Does the extended warranty program operate in every country? or is it something that the local subsidiary operates?. I rang BMW Australia about it and they did not mention that they operate anything similar.
I believe the answer in no. I have heard over time from several people around the world here and the coverages appear to be country specific.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hi All - New to M5 ownership and have already found the extended ownership an essential (cd changer and front disc shudder-still in progress). However, has anyone found if the ease with which you can claim is dealer specific. I have found with my local dealer its like pulling teeth to get him to agree, yet with my old dealer (and old car) there was never a question

1 - 11 of 11 Posts