BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All,

A colleague of mine just recently purchased a 2000 Ford Mustang Cobra R. For those who are not familiar, this is Ford's ready-to-race car from the factory. It comes with a 385 HP engine with alot of torque, no air conditioning, no radio, no back seat... and get this NO WARRANTY.. it has Borla exhaust, Brembo brakes etc..etc.... anyway, this guy just returned from a one day event held on a scheduled basis at Texas World Speedway (http://texasworldspeedway.com/) where he was racing his Mustang against other cars... such as: 911 Carrerra, 996TT, Viper, Corvette, and several other exotic sports cars...and get this one guy in a 97 540i Sport. He said the guy in the 540 was kicking EVERYONE's butt all day long!! He said the guy in the 996TT left very frustrated after a long day having a 4 door sedan kick his butt all over the track.

The moral of this story... 0-60 times are a great thing to read about and get our juices flowing...but at the end of the day, it is all about balance, handling and driving capability. This guy told me that he feels an M5 in this bunch with a good driver could NEVER be beat!

I can't wait to take my M5 over there!!! He said you can get about 150-160 on the straights!!!!

Andy M.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Either the 996TT person didn't know how to drive or the 540i Sport was modded.

There is no way I can believe a 540i Sport took a 996TT.

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I totally understand what you are saying... however, my friend said he saw the 540 up close and it was NOT heavily modified.. only the usual stuff.. Dinan software upgrade, cold air intake, and really good racing tires. Understand that this is NOT a drag race, where the Porsche would most certainly win every time. Also, it is obvious to me that the guy driving the TT did not know how to get the most from his awesome machine.

Again, I reiterate that the driver in this particular case has alot to do with how the race is won or lost. My friend said the guys in the Porsche's kept wiping out into the grass all day long, while the guy in the 540 was running right by. Of course, he did say the the guy in the 540 is a regular participant, so this was not his first event.

Andy M.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Andy,

I have run my '98 540 6-sp at TWS in the past. The car handled exceptionally well for a 4dr sedan with street tires. Even my instructor commented on how good my car handled, especially on long sweepers. Nonetheless, you will have to be a VERY good driver to outrun Porsche, Ferrari, etc... I did managed to outrun a Viper at TWS once (inexperience driver, probably). I don't have a lot of track driving expereince myself but I was able to keep up if not outrun most that were in my group(beginner's group). BTW, my list of mods on the 540 included: Dinan software, Dinan Stage 1 suspension, Bridgestone S-02pp 235/45 17 all around.

Speaking of TWS, are you interested in going to the driving school they have on the 11/18 weekend? I will be there.

Later,
Kenneth
'00 silverstone M5

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Kenneth,

I am headed to Spartanburg next week (Thursday-Friday) for the M5 Driving Experience...so I will probably not be able to make the weekend of the 18th... let me check with my other half and see if I can get a hall pass???

I will email you either way...

Andy M.

btw: Amir (the 17 year old with the brand new M5 in Houston) just got into a terrible wreck!
Thankfully, he is ok...however, his M5 is a mess... he said about $20K of damage! He said all 8 air bags deployed!

later...

·
Registered
5,239 Posts
Andy - is Amir on this board?

What happened? His fault or someone elses'?

I find it hard to believe any parent would allow a 17yr old to drive an M5 or any car of that performance level. Too tempting, and not enough real experience.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Hey Greg, yea I go by the name Omar on this board, amir was already taken. Anyway let me explain to you how this worked out =).. I had been investing in stocks since I was 14, and amassed a great sum of money through the years. I had been driving a 4 runner since I was 15 when I got a hardship, but felt it was time to get something different...So I opted for the m5...I am currently leasing it, and am using my funds from my stock portfolio to pay for the lease. In the end my dad was going to pay the residual so we could own the car, but now that it's wrecked, we can forget about that =(. Anyway the accident was totally not my fault.. I was exiting off the freeway slowing down....was at about 30 and still braking...I was making a u-turn and some son of a ***** in a ford truck rear ended me and sent me flying into a huge concrete pillar. To my amazement that son of a ***** drove off and left me unconcious in the car. There was no one around and no witnesses, but fortionetly when the air bags deployed it sent some emergency thing and dispatched local emts...The next thing I remembered was waking up in a hospital bed. The car was towed by a wrecker and was taken to some cheapo body shop, where they concluded that the estimate would be anywhere from $15-20k to repair. However, I will be taking it to Momentum BMW here in Houston, and assuming that they will charge alot more, but will hopefully do a better job. As for airbags all of them deployed, and actually mine gave me a broken nose and severly swollen lip. But I guess if there wasn't an airbag in the steering wheel, I would have had severe lacerations from the steering wheel and dashboard. Anyway, I am very thankful for the German engineers who built the car, because I'm almost positive that if this happened in any other car my buddies and I would have been in much worse shape...Just remember to be careful out there on the road...Ohh yea, I wonder if my insurance company is going to drop me after this lol..I guess I'll have to wait in see...Have a good night all

Amir

·
Registered
33 Posts
Wow...
Just wanted to say to Amir that thank god you came out of it... and as for the damage, don't get too much excited about it... I was also rear-ended 2 times! in the first I was really annoyed and almost killed the guy on the spot, but after thinking about it, it's just a car.. and the insurance covered everything, and now it's back to normal (even though my damage was really really small)... it'll be fixed in no time, and you'll be on the road, smashing into 200km/h in no time... good luck with the insurance..

1 - 8 of 8 Posts