BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've been talking with another member about going to the Texas 1/2 mile race event this weekend (wannaGOFAST - High-Speed Racing - Texas 1/2 Mile Private Runway Shootout).

I've never tracked or raced my car in any event.

I just wanted to get some helpful advice (and tips) from other members on how to prepare for the event, your experiences, etc.

Thanks in advance! :M5launch:

·
Registered
106 Posts
This event sounds fun! Make sure to get a tech inspection at a good indy shop before the event. If you are in Austin -- check out Terry Sayther BMW. Assuming all checks out well at the tech inspection with no leaks, good brakes and no other obvious safety issues, your car should be okay at this event in stock form. As a straight-line, top speed event, it should be less demanding on you/your car than the traditional HPDE.

Make sure to check your brakes and tires/wheels. Also get a good quality safety-rated helmet. Check out and top off all fluids.

Brakes -- high temp fluid, rotors with no lip and pads in good condition with plenty of life left (if you can, add high friction pads and stainless lines). You want good stopping force and no vibration under high speed braking.

Tire/wheel balance -- again, you want to make sure that the tires/wheels are perfectly balanced so you get no vibration at high speed.

There's a whole bunch of additional things you should consider if you plan to track/race your car more frequently. But for the one event this weekend, this should be sufficient, and you can do it all in short-order.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Make sure to bring a few ice packs (wrapped in towel to soak up water) to cool down in between runs. You'll get better speed traps but also protect your motor from overheating in between sessions.

·
Registered
13,461 Posts
Besides your tires being in good shape and suspension/alignment, also make sure that your front splitter is bolted on real good as I have seen a video where it sheared right off and the car ran over it.

Reactions: DocsV10

·
Registered
134 Posts
Are you guys going to the 1/2 mile? My company is across the street from the T1 GTR guys and they are working around the clock to get ready, I was thinking about going down.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This event sounds fun! Make sure to get a tech inspection at a good indy shop before the event. If you are in Austin -- check out Terry Sayther BMW. Assuming all checks out well at the tech inspection with no leaks, good brakes and no other obvious safety issues, your car should be okay at this event in stock form. As a straight-line, top speed event, it should be less demanding on you/your car than the traditional HPDE.

Make sure to check your brakes and tires/wheels. Also get a good quality safety-rated helmet. Check out and top off all fluids.

Brakes -- high temp fluid, rotors with no lip and pads in good condition with plenty of life left (if you can, add high friction pads and stainless lines). You want good stopping force and no vibration under high speed braking.

Tire/wheel balance -- again, you want to make sure that the tires/wheels are perfectly balanced so you get no vibration at high speed.

There's a whole bunch of additional things you should consider if you plan to track/race your car more frequently. But for the one event this weekend, this should be sufficient, and you can do it all in short-order.
I'll definitely be having my car inspected at my local indy shop. They also have techs at the actual event that go through a vehicle inspection before allowing you to race.

I don't get any high-speed vibrations, therefore, I'm going with the assumption that my wheels are properly balanced.

As for brakes, I haven't had any issues with them, but will still have them inspected nonetheless.

I'll also have my shop top off all the fluids, etc.

Definitely looking forward to the event, as this will be first ever in the M5!

Thanks for the advice! :cheers:

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Any idea what speeds I should be aiming for (or be in the neighborhood of) based on my mods?

Just curious!

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
Damn it. I would be down to go but I'm already stuck doing stuff on the 12th and 13th, lol what poo.

Let us know how it goes!

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Damn it. I would be down to go but I've already stuck doing stuff on the 12th and 13th, lol what poo.

Let us know how it goes!
Too bad you can't make it! We should've started planning this a while back; I waited till the last minute lol..

I'll definitely come back and post pics/videos and my experience.

I'm sure it'll be a blast!

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
I wonder when they will have their next event in Texas? Its a lot cheaper than the Texas Mile and less of a hassle overall.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
I wonder when they will have their next event in Texas? Its a lot cheaper than the Texas Mile and less of a hassle overall.
I agree! Hopefully sooner than next July! I'll get some more info when I'm down there!

·
Registered
345 Posts
i say you will hit 163 mph .......... good luck .... hopefully they do it here ..... and i would hella be down to go test my car out.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
If your M5 has the stock speed limiter you will probably hit it.

Keep the shiney side up!
I have the Evolve Alpha-N tune, hence, no speed limiter! :M5launch:

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'll set the over/under at 155mph.. Place your bets lol... :cheers::checkeredflag::flag::goldcup:

·
Registered
794 Posts
DocsV10, when was the last time you serviced your beast? As a preventative measure you should get all fluids changed, you'll be doing several high speed passes which puts a ton of stress on the S85.

1 - 20 of 75 Posts