BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Maybe OT. so the admin should move it if he wants.

I was invited by BMW NL to fully test Dynamic Drive, Active Front Steering and Head up Display.
It was a nice day and bmw did there best too please possible E60 Drivers!

Was picked up in an X5 4.8is at te facility "RDW test circuit in Flevoland"

Spend 2 hours there testing AFS and DD and doing some courses in a 535D with M technic Kit, there where also 525i,530i,530d and 545 at your service.

It was a blast too test out the 535D under these conditions.

Joxer

·
Registered
48 Posts
Re: Tested 535D on a close circuit

Could you give us an insight to what the in-gear acceleration is like, possibly compared to another vehicle ? what did you think to the handling? as i always find that diesels don't handle as well compared to the petrol variants.

:wroom:

·
Registered
5,171 Posts
Re: Tested 535D on a close circuit

Any pics?

all the best
adam

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Write up from the E60 5 series Driving Experience held at the RDW TEST Centrum in Lelystad NL
See there web page, it`s in Dutch.
http://www.rdw.nl/ned/02_diensten/02_ondernemingen/01_tcl/start.asp?pagina=inhoud.htm

No pictures and filming allowed, but i took a few

I was invited because i have an E39 528i and they see me as a possible client for a E60. even though that i was negotiating on a 2000 M5.
but BMW also invited Audi A6, Merc E klasse owners

Bmw set up four courses.

- First course.
Here you throw around the car like an x-cross course, and made u do some circles around some cones. the cars available 535d AFS,DD,HUD on 17", 535D M-Tech kit on 18" and AFS. and a 525i Touring with no options.

I first go out in the 535D M-tech. nailed it, and straight off the line power is amazing, no turbo lag what so ever! pulled straight to redline with no power loss near the end of the rev range, what for old diesels is so common.
in the car you don`t know ( feel ) or hear that it`s an diesel, even at idle. it does sound very sporty inside.
AFS felt very good, and responsive.I liked it a lot.Driving between the cones in tight turn was very easy! but the rear end felt a bit lose compared too the front. even tough that front tire where almost slicks.

Picture

535D pulling away from standstill somebody else was driving!!!

Then on too the 535D with AFS and DD.
Now everything seems hormonic between the front and rear.
This is realy like you are on a rails, this is the perfect combo.
i had a blast driving this around

After that i drove the 525i Touring whitout AFS and DD.this car was all over the place, i had to work more in this car too keep it between the cones.
And at a lower speed. this car was bad compared too the 535D

-second course
A Test where you drive at 60km/h at some cones and then you must avoid the cones just a few meters from it, after that you must bring the car back to your own lane.
In this exercise that tail did come out, and you have too get the tail back.
DSC did come on. I really like this test. Did this also in a 530i with no AFS,DD

-Thrid Course
High speed lap on a oval, where u could feel your head pushed in to your body. that was fun. can`t imagine doing that for a few hours, like indycar drivers. This i did in a 530I whit no AFS,DD

- fourth course
This was done on a Skid pad. Drove around in a 535D touring.
With dsc On and OFF. I only made it to drift 3/4 around, and i spinned a couple of times too.

It was great too test the E60 and the 535 in particular.too bad that it only was for two hours.

In the end i told the chaufeur of the shuttlebus an X5 4.8is too nail it. pretty fast too for an X5, very nice v8 sound from inside and from the outside

greetings,
Joxer

p.s
Sorry for the bad Engish grammar

·
Registered
13,638 Posts
Dank U Joxer :cheers:

The 535d sport has DIESEL spelt out in big letters next to the speedo (in case you forget?!).

·
Registered
200 Posts
Joxer,

Nice report (since I follow the same grammar rules as you do I don't have to feel sorry about the bad handling of it in this reply ;) ).

You drove some different E60's and I would like to know of they're all fitted with the same kind of transmission. All automatic transmissions or was there a mix?

And if there was a mix, did you experienced a difference in the handling of the car in the corners (response, drifting etc.). Can you describe differences?

The reason for this question is that we're considering buying a 535d but so far the car is only available with the autobox. And I hate the handling (response) in fast cornering (or drifting).

Thanks so far.

Guust

·
Registered
342 Posts
Joxer,

What color was the exterior and interior of the car?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts