BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't make my mind up whether or not it's working properly. What's the best way to test it? Just shine a torch into the sensor with the car with it's lights on and see?

·
Registered
12,936 Posts
I can't make my mind up whether or not it's working properly. What's the best way to test it? Just shine a torch into the sensor with the car with it's lights on and see?
If I recall, there is a sensor on the front and rear. The sensors measure the light diffrence and then darken when it sees a difference (headlights from the rear at night).

I don't believe the side mirrors darken. So with headlights behind you, if the side mirror and the rear view have the same view, the rear view is not working correctly. If the headlights are bothering you from behind, the mirror is not working correctly.

Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have tested it in the dark and there doesn't seem to be any difference when you shine the light. I shined a torch right at the mirror and it practically blinds me in the driver seat so I am pretty sure this isn't working at all. I guess it's a case of next steps now. Check the fuse? I will try to dig out the fuse diagram and see if I can see which one it is. Is there any way to check the connector at the back of the mirror to verify that there is a supply to the mirror?

·
Registered
3,182 Posts
Unless you have reason to think that the electrical connections are suspect, it's more likely that the dimming properties of the mirror have failed. Mine failed not long ago, starting from the outside with the dimming part gradually getting smaller and smaller in the middle of the mirror.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am fairly confident it's the mirror. But since I have to send the mirror away for repair I wanted to dramatically increase my confidence by checking the voltages at the connections before forking out the money for shipping/repair in the US. Does anyone know of a company in the UK that does this that might be more cost effective? So far all the posts point to a US electronics company Sybasmes (spelling).

I have already mailed Stacy at this company and I am awaiting a reply from her.

Cheers

Craig

·
Registered
185 Posts
Craig, may not answer your question directly but if you want to meet up (I am in Basingstoke too) we could compare how your mirror behaves to how mine behaves. I am sure mine works ok, so it may help !?

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Absolutely take you up on that offer! Always good to meet other M5 owners anyway I think.. When is convenient for you?

·
Registered
185 Posts
Craig, I will drop you a PM with my email and phone number on so we can sort something out. Pretty sure I am free any evening this week (I assume it'll need to be in the evening so that it's dark!).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts