BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I continue to agonize about whether to buy out my lease, which is ending soon, or get something new, I started my search to see if replacing her were a viable option.

I test drove an E55 today and I must say I was very unimpressed. The car has tons of horsepower and torque but thats IT! Otherwise I would have to say it is very boring. In addition I HATE the automatic trans!! The car was always hunting for the right gear (and not doing a very good job).

Getting back into my M5 after the test drive felt awesome. She may not have the torque of an E55 but all around it is a much better car. Dirty, but better.

One giant step closer to buying out my lease and keeping her.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I'm glad you did't liked it.

In holland, most of the taxi cabs are E-class series, so the image of an E55 is not that big here.

AMG is also not that special to me because Mercedes AMG's everything. What's next?? VITO AMG??

Even while my M5 (2002) is not that new anymore, She is still No. 1. And she ever will be! ( until I can afford an E60 M5 ofcourse. )

Bye!:cheers:

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
seckindogan said:
I'm glad you did't liked it.

In holland, most of the taxi cabs are E-class series, so the image of an E55 is not that big here.

AMG is also not that special to me because Mercedes AMG's everything. What's next?? VITO AMG??

Even while my M5 (2002) is not that new anymore, She is still No. 1. And she ever will be! ( until I can afford an E60 M5 ofcourse. )

Bye!:cheers:
probably B and R and Vito AMG, especially the vito now its rwd...
;)

·
Registered
56 Posts
i have an 00' and love it no problems ever and it tracks great, but my dad has an e55 and it's quite a bit faster on the track, asked if i'd trade..no i like the 6 shooter.hard decision:confused2
mricorp said:
As I continue to agonize about whether to buy out my lease, which is ending soon, or get something new, I started my search to see if replacing her were a viable option.

I test drove an E55 today and I must say I was very unimpressed. The car has tons of horsepower and torque but thats IT! Otherwise I would have to say it is very boring. In addition I HATE the automatic trans!! The car was always hunting for the right gear (and not doing a very good job).

Getting back into my M5 after the test drive felt awesome. She may not have the torque of an E55 but all around it is a much better car. Dirty, but better.

One giant step closer to buying out my lease and keeping her.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
I've been salivating over an E55 wagon ever since finding out MBUSA was going to sell some in the US. More as a replacement for the spousal 540i than for the M5, though.

I'm sure the chassis isn't up to the M5, and the $90K pricetag is a stumbling block; we're still finishing details on the house and this is the year When I Really Will Finish My Private Pilot Ticket (tm).

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
JEM said:
...and this is the year When I Really Will Finish My Private Pilot Ticket (tm).
Best wishes getting that hammered out. Nothing in life has given me more of a sense of freedom and accomplishment than getting my Private. The quest for more ratings has been a blast, and I am on my way to my Multi engine instrument. But getting the private rating was the biggest one so far. Keep up the good work!
:cheers:
Sorry to be OT.

·
Registered
837 Posts
maybe I should get a license someday, Its kind of sad ,I fly most weeks five days a week and I dont even have a license, "per say" to go rent a plane, maybe its something I should look into, Josh:haha:

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
mguirg_gt74 said:
Would you consider test-driving any of the following?

CTS-V (400hp)
STS (320hp)
SRT-8 (425hp)
I've driven several CTS-Vs and it'd be at the top of my list as a straight-across M5 replacement. It's an amazingly good car and an impressive deal for the money. It's both worse and better than the M5 - lighter on its feet, much better braking feel, better 'cockpit electronics' and at least as fast, but not as well built, pedal-type parking brake, and outward visibility isn't quite as good. It's one of those fairly rare cars where, once you've driven it, the basic 'rightness' overwhelms you and its weaknesses seem unimportant.

I've driven one STS and looked at another, it seems to be a very nice driveable vehicle; the basic shape is better than the CTS and the interior detailing is better than the CTS-V. But it doesn't tingle the senses like the CTS-V or M5. The one I drove seemed to have a bit much ride harshness over sharp bumps - something I certainly have *never* noticed in a CTS-V.

I'd drive an SRT-8, but I don't think I could ever convince myself to buy one, for a couple of reasons. One is that the outward visibility sucks. Not as bad perhaps as the Benz CLS (I'm not claustrophobic, but that thing's a beautifully-trimmed solitary-confinement cell, I half expected a guard to try to slip a dinner tray through the side window slots), but bad enough. Secondly, I'm not enamored of the Chrysler 300 image.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts