BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys, lately my eyes have been wondering towards the 997s thinking it might be a good idea to switch, so i finally went out to test drive one today. The one i test drove had 59k miles on it and it just got the 60k service done. The car felt agile, powerful enough, fun and more sporty than my M6. My m6 was more powerful and plush, but then after the test drive i got back it my car and push the m button and i've decided i'm gonna hold on to my M6 forever and work out whatever problem we run into in the future, like a marriage... lol. It could be because i'm comparing an M6 which is the best BMW has to offer in terms of performance to a mid-range porsche, but i'm glad i went for that drive, now i know how lucky i am to have something that suits me so well.

Porsche really did good job on the 997, it drives so much better than the 996 and and first gen boxter, which are the only porsches i've experienced. It felt light without feeling cheap, whereas the new m6 feels "cheap" inside. I think 911s are beautiful it their own way, but way over priced considering how common they are (maybe just in so-cal) on the road. the 997 felt easy to drive, and somehow i think it would be a better DD, where as driving the M6 feels more like a special event. This maybe how the engine delivers torque/hp and how much the car weights. 997 felt like it had low end torque but the M6 feels like it has supercar top end, so revving the 997 to redline felt kinda flat and steady whereas the M6 felt much more exciting.

The 997 feels like the right car for someone who wants to drive sporty all the time. The m6 suits me better because i drive like a grandma and baby my car most of the time and gun it for the rush to get my "fix" once in a while. anyone have similar/ contrary experiences?

Nest on the list, the new Stingray Corvette.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Is it possible it did not have the Sport Chrono package, and you could not select sport mode on the engine? This makes a difference in engine response. Also, are there different modes of the PDK? I have not driven a PDK, so don't know. I have been very impressed with the two 997s I have driven: C4S with Sport Chrono, and Turbo (Sport Chrono is standard) with the Tiptronic auto. The Turbo was in a track setting (Xtreme Xperience), and the car was fabulous.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Before I bought the M6 I test drove several 911's, 2011+, used, new. The conclusion I came to was 911 is all about performance. The M6 is a fantastic mix of performance and luxury. I had a tuff time getting comfortable in the 911.

Although, the new 911 Targa 4s keeps catching my eye, but I fear if I test drive it I will come to the same conclusion.

J

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is it possible it did not have the Sport Chrono package, and you could not select sport mode on the engine? This makes a difference in engine response. Also, are there different modes of the PDK? I have not driven a PDK, so don't know. I have been very impressed with the two 997s I have driven: C4S with Sport Chrono, and Turbo (Sport Chrono is standard) with the Tiptronic auto. The Turbo was in a track setting (Xtreme Xperience), and the car was fabulous.

It has the sports chrono package, i tried it in sport and sport plus with damper button pressed for firmer suspension.

In that setting it felt stiffer than my m6, on its original setting it felt like my m6's stiffest setting, and my m6 is lowered on Eibach springs.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts