BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I test drove a 98 E39 M5 today. I didn't know they were produced so early (this one was first registered in Dec 98). I had not seen this color before : kind of a light blue with a touch of purple. The rims were dark black chrome (stock), darker than my 99. This car also had an AC Schnitzer Kit (shocks and shorter springs). It felt quite powerful.

Could be a nice second beast :cool:

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
I dont' think they where made in 98, 5's came out in 97 the m's usally follow two years later which is of course 99. And in the US I only saw 2000-2003. ??????

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
mfettara said:
I test drove a 98 E39 M5 today. I didn't know they were produced so early (this one was first registered in Dec 98). I had not seen this color before : kind of a light blue with a touch of purple. The rims were dark black chrome (stock), darker than my 99. This car also had an AC Schnitzer Kit (shocks and shorter springs). It felt quite powerful.

BMW years usually start in October, so a car delivered in 12/98 should be a 99. I don't think there was a 98 E39 M5. BMWs delivered 12/04 are 05 models. E60 M5s delivered in October - December of this year should be 06 models.

·
Registered
6,354 Posts
Digi said:
BMW years usually start in October, so a car delivered in 12/98 should be a 99. I don't think there was a 98 E39 M5. BMWs delivered 12/04 are 05 models. E60 M5s delivered in October - December of this year should be 06 models.
Exactly!

Most german manufacturers start their "next year" models in September!

B

·
0 Posts
Digi said:
Exactly!

Cheers, Daniel.

·
Registered
6,354 Posts
Fart said:
Represetation of models is different between the USA and Europe. Germans referr to their cars by manufacturing date (in my case 11/1999) where the USA would call that car a 2000 model.
Thats not correct. The same representation applies to europe too!

·
Registered
146 Posts
Marc,

I think I told you when we were on the phone on Friday that I test drove an M5 from 1998 but can't remember if I told you which one. From your description, we've driven the same one - at Automania, Meyrin - 57,000 KM's - quite well loaded (sunroof, phone, satnav), black/grey leather internal (?). Since my French is so awful, I couldn't understand what he meant about the Schnitzer sport chassis ... Now I know :)

Yes, I also thought it was a nice car. However, although the M5 was powerful and seemed to be looked after, I'm not sure I could live with the colour scheme (the other major factor in the decision). My current 325Xi is Black/Black and I haven't got bored with it in 3.5 years of ownership from new - hence the new M5 is the same :)

Regards,

Gary.

mfettara said:

·
Registered
37 Posts
Dec 98 seems perfectly reasonable for an E39 M5. I was at M Day 98, which AFAIK was the only ever M Day. It was held at the BMW Plant in Greer, SC, and was attended mostly by CCA members. At the time I had an E30 M3.

It was a great day, filled with technical talks, a McLaren F1 race car, and all manner of M cars. At the conclusion of the day, we were treated to a preview of an red E39 M5, they fired up it up inside the plant, in an enclosed area.
It was Nov. 1998, and I thought, one day, when these become affordable I'll have one. Six years later, I am actively seeking a realistically priced 01 or 02 M5.

-Fabian
Charlotte, NC
:hihihi:

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Foxyboy, Gary,
It's the same one Gary, as I went for a sales check at Mediamarks, I thought I might check the car out.

The AC Schnitzer kit was nice, lowered approx 3 cm, felt just hard enough for serious cornering (the salesman thought it was serious at any rate :wroom: ) but not as hard as their track version (the car can still be driven on holidays). I didn't hear any tire scraping usually associated with lowering.

cheers

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have a 1998-build E39 M5 in right-hand drive, which I believe from the chassis number (ending 0003) was the 3rd M5 built. It was kept at the factory as a test vehicle then registered for the first time in August 2000 and sold through the UK dealer network as a 98S M5. The only one in existence, I imagine.

The V5 (British registration document) says date of manufacture 1998, first reg Aug 2000. Regards,

1 - 13 of 13 Posts