BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just stopped by my local Porsche dealer and I took a new 997S out for a test drive. I got a pretty good drive in, backroads, highway, and I took it through my regular commute through some twisty farmland roads. I wanted to get a feel for the differences between the 997S and my best guess of what the M6 will feel like.

The car was 6sp, Silver/Black with a reasonable amount of options, listed at $87,000 and change. Clutch pedal and shifter were very heavy effort, the shifter throws however were the shortest of any car I’ve driven. Excellent driving position, very low, and the steering wheel was attractive, felt good, but a bit thin for my taste. Driving out of the lot, the car felt like a truck. Heavy steering, rock hard suspension, hard clutch and shifter. The engine did sound beautiful though.

It took me a while to get used to the pedal postions, the short shift thows, and sitting at eye level with everyone else’s elbows. After a while, I was doing ‘slingshot’ runs of a few hundred feet in 3rd gear, and the sound and acceleration were pretty addictive. The engine is strong, but the chassis feels like it could handle a lot more. At normal highway speeds the car was incredibly stable, but noisy and rough riding. 100 mph felt the same as 60, maybe a little better.

I got to some twisty roads and was able to start ‘exploring the limits’, and now I understand what the car magazines talk about. Everything seems to get lighter and easier to handle as you start pushing the car. The steering communicates better than any car I’ve ever driven. I didn’t push too hard, but enough to get a feel for the personality of the car at speed. It’s hard to imagine a car that would be more satisfying to drive when you really want to drive hard.

Overall, I think this is a very different car from what the M6 will be. The 997S is a pure sports car, and compromises quite a bit in terms of ride and comfort to achieve incredible handling and responsiveness. I think using the 997S as a ‘daily driver’ would be a compromise for me, and certainly my passenger. The 997S could be the best sports-car in the world, but compared to the M5/M6 it is rough and noisy. Hopefully the M6 will be very close to the 997S in terms of it’s sports-car qualities, but without the compromises. I'll be waiting to hear the reviews.

·
Registered
675 Posts
interesting review wolverine.Suprising as so many 997 owners have commented on how easy the car is to drive and how refined it is compared to the 996.
Porsche like BMW need a good few miles on the clock before they loosen up properly.
I might try to test one this weekend as I am really missing my tt.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
great review... thanks... i luv the 911 and the 997 im sure is exactly what i'd expect from a Porsche in terms of drivability.... while contemplating my new car purchase this year, i always have the 911 in the back of my mind, but, as you said, it could only be a 'second' car as it is impratical as an everyday drive, imho, but i do have a friend ( a female m.d. who's only 5 feet tall!) that does drive her 996 everyday to work, but its an auto and for status...

i look forward to owning a future rendition, and one that has the DSG option as Im no longer prepared to pay for the price of driving a heavy clutch... i would expect the M6 to have similar performace numbers, but still, I dont think anything can handle as well as a Porsche, expecially at speeds when you begin to open it up....this is what they do best... the M6 will be an impressive sports luxury coupe, a BMW through and through, but not a true sports car....

·
Registered
675 Posts
m630 said:
great review... thanks... i luv the 911 and the 997 im sure is exactly what i'd expect from a Porsche in terms of drivability.... while contemplating my new car purchase this year, i always have the 911 in the back of my mind, but, as you said, it could only be a 'second' car as it is impratical as an everyday drive, imho, but i do have a friend ( a female m.d. who's only 5 feet tall!) that does drive her 996 everyday to work, but its an auto and for status...

i look forward to owning a future rendition, and one that has the DSG option as Im no longer prepared to pay for the price of driving a heavy clutch... i would expect the M6 to have similar performace numbers, but still, I dont think anything can handle as well as a Porsche, expecially at speeds when you begin to open it up....this is what they do best... the M6 will be an impressive sports luxury coupe, a BMW through and through, but not a true sports car....

don't underestimate the m6,i drove the 997s over the wekend,sensational,but the m6 will be better,i know it.Its been designed to compete with the turbo porsche,and just look at how good the m3 is ,how stunningly good the m5 is and then you have BMW telling us that they reckon the m6 is the best m car ever ..you gotta know its gonna be something special.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
dont misunderstand me, i love BMWs and my new car will be either the E63 or the E60, and i believe the M6 will be one of the best for the car it is, a true beauty of a sports coupe, but it still is about a bit of luxury, computer assisted technology, lots of performance and daily driveability, unlike the true sports car nature of the 911, ...very hard, stiff ride, even harder clutch, very short shifts, super manuverability, which they've had over 30 years to perfect...

in my mind the M6 isnt competing with a 911 turbo or a 911 GT3, i think the potential owners of each are quite different... a wealthy person can buy the M6 and drive it out of the dealership, while the same person cant get into the 911 and expect any fun in the daily drive unless they are a true enthusiast and are going to push the car, at daily traffic speeds the 911 is way harsh and the M6 will beat it easily in terms of ride comfort...now at performace speeds, the stiffness pays off for the 911, and though i expect the M6 to handle very well on turns, i cannot imagine it pulling g-numbers on the skid pad like the 911, which no other car can....

the M6 may be the perfect harmony of sports performance, style, and luxury driving, which the 911 will never achieve as it doesnt intend to drive comfortable ...jmho...

·
Registered
267 Posts
m630 said:
dont misunderstand me, i love BMWs and my new car will be either the E63 or the E60, and i believe the M6 will be one of the best for the car it is, a true beauty of a sports coupe, but it still is about a bit of luxury, computer assisted technology, lots of performance and daily driveability, unlike the true sports car nature of the 911, ...very hard, stiff ride, even harder clutch, very short shifts, super manuverability, which they've had over 30 years to perfect...

in my mind the M6 isnt competing with a 911 turbo or a 911 GT3, i think the potential owners of each are quite different... a wealthy person can buy the M6 and drive it out of the dealership, while the same person cant get into the 911 and expect any fun in the daily drive unless they are a true enthusiast and are going to push the car, at daily traffic speeds the 911 is way harsh and the M6 will beat it easily in terms of ride comfort...now at performace speeds, the stiffness pays off for the 911, and though i expect the M6 to handle very well on turns, i cannot imagine it pulling g-numbers on the skid pad like the 911, which no other car can....

the M6 may be the perfect harmony of sports performance, style, and luxury driving, which the 911 will never achieve as it doesnt intend to drive comfortable ...jmho...
Spot on. And it is just this harmony u describe that makes the M6 the must have for me and not any other choice unless I suddenly got very rich.

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
Gustav said:
Very nice review, thank you.
Should this not be in the Competitors to the m5 section of this website along with my bugatti post?

·
Registered
270 Posts
COMPROMISE

EVERY car is a compromise. My M6 compromises speed for comfort. My wife's Acura TL-S sacrifices speed for economy and space.

We select what meets our needs and go with it.

That said, my M6 is one fast motha. Feels stronger than the 911 but not quite as agile. And it drinks gas.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts