BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Been a busy summer with a number of projects that I've been working on, thanks to the help (with parts supplying and hands-on) of some board members. The M5 has gotten lots of love and the 540i is getting equal amounts of attention. So with that, I needed a daily driver. A fair number of friends are Volkswagen guys - air and water cooled - and have long touted the newer ones' fun and reliability. Well, the jury is still out on reliability. But the MkIV R32 has always had my eye. In particular, ones in the shade of Deep Blue Pearl. The snarl of the exhaust of these things when you perform the "flapper mod" by disconnecting a vacuum line to the valve in the stock exhaust so it stays open all the time is great. Heavily bolstered Konig seats are fantastic for spirited driving as well.

So after some heavy searching, I ended up finding one not too far from me and even close to where I work. After the initial frustrations of Craisglist and the seller not listing contact information or a way to be contacted I went through Craigslist to have them inform him that he needed to update the listing. A few days later I refreshed the webpage in my browser to see the listing was still up and info was updated! One e-mail sent netted me a phone call several hours later into a Sunday evening. The following day we had agreed to meet and I was walking around the car after he pulled it out of work at a storage facility. Not knowing if I would be purchasing it, I decided to forgo a 'test drive' of the vehicle. At 14,110 miles, I didn't really feel one being necessary. It was clean, the history had been honestly and well-represented to me and tastefully modified without being gaudy. Of course, like with any vehicle we buy, personalizing it with little tweaks and changes will happen.

But I can certainly attest to the fact that this a great addition to the current stable. The only problem is - and I haven't informed the girlfriend yet - is that I won't be driving it in the wintertime. So there may be another beater in my future to handle winter duty. So without further adieu, here are pics. She is purrty.

It has a few modifications to it, which I am happy about - most of which I would have done anyway (minus the Audi S-line mirror covers and blue lighting?? on the interior). By comparison to the M5, it feels more responsive with less pedal effort. Driving them back-to-back shows the R32 being that much more livelier and eager to move. The M5 feels like a bloated sow. I certainly know this to be opposite the truth. But I have never owned a light car, per sei.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Congrats! Do you have a set of winter tires lined up already, or do you have a dedicated winter beater?

Reactions: M540i

·
Banned
3,793 Posts
My all time favorite VW and I am considering one for daily now as I sold my GS

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
261 Posts
I would rock the shiznit out of that thing in the winter! Those things are tanks in the snow with some good winter tires! Why wouldn't you?!

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
I would rock the shiznit out of that thing in the winter! Those things are tanks in the snow with some good winter tires! Why wouldn't you?!
I agree. Best winter car I ever owned was the Audi S4, same drivetrain pretty much. This is what it can handle in the winter, even with limited ground clearance!

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
If you look at my profile you'll see pics of my LMB M5 and DBP R32. I've owned the VW since new. My vortex name is tmcnally iirc. I don't post there much anymore.
Get the snow tires...seriously. FYI yer boy also did the "5 brake light" mod as have I.

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
Nice pick up! Manual?

·
Registered
222 Posts
Love the R32 ! All wheel drive for our winters is a must.
The guy I bought my M5 from also had an R32 for sale . Still chose the M5 ! :3:

·
Registered
2002 BMW M5
1,368 Posts
congrats it looks great but you need to top off your coolant reservoir :)

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks guys! I've been enjoying it a ton. The daily commute is pretty nice. I do about 110 miles round trip every single day. I love the exhaust, love the short-throw shifter in it so it's just perfect for a daily ride. I'm still contemplating whether or not it's going to be driven in winter. It almost seems too nice to put it through such torture. There would have to be a metal skid plate installed on it before I put it through that torture.

Major differences that I do miss about driving the M5 over this are the comfort of the seats. I have a relatively tall torso so there really isn't much support in the way of a headrest in the R32. The M5 is perfect how it tilts forward. The other difference (aside from obvious things like power and 2 more doors.. for you jokesters) is the audio quality. Even with BMW's hack attempt at hi-fi audio with the M Audio sound system, it's head and shoulders above the R32. Beyond that, it's fantastic.

·
Registered
12,890 Posts
Major differences that I do miss about driving the M5 over this are the comfort of the seats. I have a relatively tall torso so there really isn't much support in the way of a headrest in the R32. The M5 is perfect how it tilts forward. The other difference (aside from obvious things like power and 2 more doors.. for you jokesters) is the audio quality. Even with BMW's hack attempt at hi-fi audio with the M Audio sound system, it's head and shoulders above the R32. Beyond that, it's fantastic.
Surprised about the seats. I have seen the Recaros and it looks like they have a ton of side bolstering. I wonder if a good auto upholstery shop can't figure out a way to effectively raise the headrest?

On audio, easy to go aftermarket. Usually just getting better speakers will work wonders....

Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
483 Posts
Nice acquisition.

I find myself smitten by the newest Golf R. I'm in deep smit. Unfortunately the only way I can afford my M5 as a toy is to rock a Subaru as a daily driver... it never breaks and it can't be stopped in bad weather, so I'll stick with it for now ;)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts