BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's a rhythmic hum, oscillating in pitch from low to high. Had it last winter, completely disappeared in the spring/summer/fall. Now that the temps are below freezing it's back. Comes from the driver's cylinder bank and just by popping the hood and looking around it seems to be coming from the head of the cylinder bank. As the car warms up, the hum dissipates but yesterday it was really cold and the hum was present the whole commute home (about 25 minutes).

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
Other than the hum, how is the car running? Is it down on power? Obviously no CEL's are on. Has anyone else experienced this? I don't recall hearing this on my 2007.

·
Registered
452 Posts
I have same thing during cold climates (specially in Canada). My dealer says it is normal. :dunno:

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There's absolutely no change in the car other than the hum. It was like that when I bought it in January of 2010. Then when the weather warmed up the hum went away and now it's back. I blame the thick oil.

·
Registered
8,300 Posts
In New England if it's not in a heated garage a good warm up is a must with these engines....and clean oil is critical.

Reactions: billafin
1 - 5 of 5 Posts