BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I start this thread just to tell you my experience with valve stem leaks. I have owned my M5 for 8 months with 26K on the clock. I have recieved that blessed message of "tire defect" and get concerned because I have no spare. Twice over the past 3 months I have been caught with a valve stem leak which no sealent will stop: one on the driver's side rear tire and last night on the passenger front tire.

Lastnight, I was coming home from a nice dinner with 2 passengers in the car and 5 miles from home. The front side passenger tire was leaking with a moderately loud hiss. I scotch taped the valve stem, achoring to the rim, to diminish the hiss as much a possible. I pumped up the tire and limped home at 25 mph the last 5 miles checking the tire pressure every. This is the second time that I limped home with a bad valve stem, however I made it home without much time lost, good tire, and good rim with a little scotch tape.

Moral of the story, I will always keep some tape in the car it has saved me twice. 2nd replace all of my valve stems...hahaha. just thought you guys would like to hear my low tech temporary patch on a valve stem.

James

·
Registered
12,890 Posts
Lastnight, I was coming home from a nice dinner with 2 passengers in the car and 5 miles from home. The front side passenger tire was leaking with a moderately loud hiss. I scotch taped the valve stem, achoring to the rim, to diminish the hiss as much a possible. I pumped up the tire and limped home at 25 mph the last 5 miles checking the tire pressure every. This is the second time that I limped home with a bad valve stem, however I made it home without much time lost, good tire, and good rim with a little scotch tape.

Moral of the story, I will always keep some tape in the car it has saved me twice. 2nd replace all of my valve stems...hahaha. just thought you guys would like to hear my low tech temporary patch on a valve stem.

James

Wouldn't duct tape work at least as well?:thumbsup:
Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I feel so helpless without a spare tire and of course no jack either that even the smallest temporary fix gives me a feeling of empowerment....haha. Jerry, thanks for your advice next time I will use duct tape how silly for me to forget that duct tape repairs everything.....even BMWs

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
valve stems are rubber on mine, I assure that metallic caps means that the stems are metal?

·
Registered
584 Posts
i am going to put solid valve stems on my car soon. I had metal caps on mine and noticed that the cap was contacting the wheels and putting little indentations on the wheel's paint. Im on the highway about 99% of the time I drive the car doing about 90mph, so this is an upgrade I need to do.

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
I keep a spare tire (and extra front wheel) as well as an E39 jack and a lug wrench in the trunk.....

·
Registered
345 Posts
I replaced valve stems for about 12 USD each and I keep a spare front in the trunk like ard.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I had 2 rubber valve stems replaced last fall. The rubber cracks about a third of the way up the stem from the wheel and looses air through the cracks. The first one failed while I was racing at Gingerman raceway and was replaced with a metal one by the shop at trackside. Luckily they had one metal valve stem left-the mechanic said they went through their stock the prior weekend during a BMW meet. The mechanic said rubber valve stem failure is a common problem among BMW's (don't know if that's true) because of the heat of the wheels. The second valve stem failed about a week later. I haven't been able to find metal valve stems as nice as the one they installed on my car so when I go back to Gingerman in may, I'm gonna pick up three more. Small price to pay for some serious peace of mind- especially when flying down the highway

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks for the advice Ard, I will make the purchase of a front wheel or 2 rear wheels for the front may be better and place one of my fronts in the trunk. I am expecting an install of a Dinan stage 3 with JRZ's the end of this month if the JRZ come out of back order from Dinan. Anyway, I will also check out some metal valve stems as well.

James

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
I never had a valve stem fail on me but I have had trouble with metal caps... they bend the valve stem when you are at speed... some have even bent the stem so much they rubbed against the rim scratching it

could be the metal caps are bending the valve stems so much they cause them to fail?

·
Registered
410 Posts
I just picked up a set of metal valve stems from Tire Rack for $3USD each. Great items, I just have to find the time to put them on now. Well worth the price!

·
Registered
51 Posts
i had this problem too (just this past week).. unfortunately my valve stem decided to give out while i was on the fwy.. i got a flat while cruising (no tire defect warning!) and before i realized it , the rim ended up chewing part of the inside of my tire which couldnt be fixed.. so i had to buy a new tire.. its a small piece of mind to buy the metal stems. sounds like they will help in the long run

and by the way, i had the rubber stem on my wheel which ended up giving out....

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
i have a faulty stem as well. how do you replace just the stem? i take it the tire has to come off the rim?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts