BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have searched a few times and found a few tidbits on this, but wanted to see if others have had a similar experience as myself:

About two months ago, I was driving in traffic, and the temperature started rising pretty rapidly on my 540; by rapidly I mean from center position to over the white mark within less than 20 seconds. So I naturally pulled over and shut off the engine and opened the hood before things got out of hand. After it cooled down, I was actually able to get home in it just fine as long as I kept up speed and had enough air flowing through the radiator. After that I let the car sit for a month since I was too busy to work on it, but then the thought occurred to me that that had been the first time the heater core had been used to heat the vehicle that year, so I figured it must have been air in the lines because I don't think I had run the heater since the last radiator flush. So basically I burped the thing and I've been driving it no problem ever since. But it's got me really creeped out. Im basically half paying attention to the road and half paying attention to the temperature gauge when I drive now, definitely looking to put my mind at ease.

Anybody else have something like this happen?

·
Registered
137 Posts
I had this happen years ago when i had the car. It is possible for it to become airbound. Remove the coolant cap and second screw to let it bleed and run it with the heat on full blast til it starts warming up to be sure you have all the air out, recheck the level at the reservoir and you should be good.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Depending on the outside temp did you check if the aux fan went on ? had this in southern france traffic and the car almost overheated. aux fan was not working.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts