BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does anyone have a problem where the temperature gage suddenly show overheating, but the car still runs fine, and after they restart the car, the temperature gage goes back to normal?

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
Faulty gauge sensor? Other sensor for DME reports correct and normal temperature, therefore normal running?

Or am I getting mixed up and the sensor for the gauge is the same as for the DME, and the second sensor is for the fan only... Friday afternoon...

Any codes if you have a reader?

·
Registered
906 Posts
Unlock the "secret menu" and each time you start the car go to test #7 (KTEMP). When the analog gauge
begins reading high, note what the KTEMP is indicating. If the digital readout is normal (should be 79-80 C),
either the temp sensor (dual-element sensor on top of the thermostat) or the analog gauge is intermittently
failing.

This duel-element sensor provides two signals; one to the DME and the other to the analog gauge. When
you viewing KTEMP (test #7), you are viewing what the DME sees.

In the event you are unfamiliar with the "secret menu", perform a search.

Regards,
Alan

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
Just to check, do you mean the water temperature gauge (follow Alans advice above), or do you mean the oil temperature gauge?

If it is the oil temperature, the oil levelling sensor may be on the way out. This would usually be accompanied by a 'check engine oil' message when the engine is turned off. This part is easily replaced during an oil change.

·
Registered
3,968 Posts
<TABLE cellPadding=4 width=720 bgColor=white><TBODY><TR><TD bgColor=white>
</TD><TD vAlign=top width=394>SI B 12 24 99
Engine Electrical
</TD><TD vAlign=top width=240>May 2000
Service Engineering
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

PERFORM THE PROCEDURE OUTLINED IN THIS SERVICE INFORMATION ON ALL AFFECTED VEHICLES THE NEXT TIME THEY ARE IN THE SHOP FOR MAINTENANCE OR REPAIRS AND PRIOR TO DELIVERY.

This Service Information bulletin supersedes S.I. 12 24 99 dated February 2000.

designates changes to this revision

SUBJECT
M5 Check Engine Light Illuminated

MODEL
E39 M5 produced up to 2/2000

SITUATION

The following situations may be encountered:

• The OBD O2 readiness codes will not set in the ECM/DME
Customer complains that the check engine light is illuminated and/or the engine temperature gauge goes to "full hot" after starting the engine. The following fault codes may be stored in the DME:

• FC 232: "Function Check TEV" (The following fault codes may also be stored: FC 174/175: "Fuel System Diagnosis 1 or 2: FC 92/93: O2 Sensor post Cat. Bank1 or Bank2 Voltage Monitoring.
  • FC 105: "Engine Temperature Plausibility". The temperature gauge may go to "full hot" when this fault is set in the ECM/DME. Cycling the key will "reset" the temperature gauge to normal operation.
CAUSE
DME calibration.

AFFECTED VEHICLES
This campaign involves E39 M5s built between 9/99 – 2/00.

In order to determine if a specific vehicle is affected by this campaign, it will be necessary to utilize the "Service Menu" of the DCS (Dealer Communication System). Based on the response of the system, either proceed with the corrective action or take no further action.

The Chassis Number Ranges listed below are only for informational purposes and are not to be considered as the only deciding factor.

<TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=2 cellPadding=5 width=610><TBODY><TR><TD>Model
</TD><TD>Chassis Number Range
</TD></TR><TR><TD>E39 M5
</TD><TD>BZ94007 - BZ95505
CORRECTION

Reprogram the DME with CD 21.0 or higher.

PROCEDURE

1. Check the DME identification screen on the DIS/MoDic.
  2. If the basic control unit and the programmed control unit number match the following:
<TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=2 cellPadding=5 width=610><TBODY><TR><TD>Basic Control Unit
</TD><TD>Programmed Control Unit
</TD></TR><TR><TD>7 831 762
</TD><TD>7 831 872
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>If the DME has already been reprogrammed, no further programming is required. If these numbers are not listed, reprogram the DME.

1. Prior to reprogramming, it will be necessary to remove fuse 31 (DSC module). If fuse 31 is not removed, difficulty programming the DME may be encountered.
  2. Reprogram the DME with CD 21.0.
  3. After programming, check for the correct basic and programmed control unit:
<TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=2 cellPadding=5 width=610><TBODY><TR><TD>Basic Control Unit
</TD><TD>Programmed Control Unit
</TD></TR><TR><TD>7 831 762
</TD><TD>7 831 872
LABEL INSTRUCTIONS

<TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=2 cellPadding=5 width=610><TBODY><TR><TD>

</TD><TD>This campaign has been assigned code number 276 After the vehicle has been checked, and corrected if necessary, obtain a label (SD 92-130) and:
  1. emboss your BMW dealer warranty number in the middle of the label (1);
  2. punch out code number 276 printed on the label and,
  3. affix the label to the B pillar as shown.
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>If the vehicle already has a label from a previous Service Action/Recall Campaign, affix the new label next to the old one. Do not affix one label on top of another one because a number from an underlying label could appear in the punched-out hole of the new label.

WARRANTY INFORMATION

Reimbursement for this campaign will be provided through campaign entry without regard to vehicle age or mileage.

<TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=2 cellPadding=5 width=610><TBODY><TR><TD>
</TD><TD>
</TD><TD></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=2 cellPadding=5 width=610><TBODY><TR><TD>
</TD><TD>
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=2 cellPadding=5 width=610><TBODY><TR><TD>
</TD><TD>
</TD><TD></TD></TR><TR><TD></TD><TD></TD><TD></TD></TR><TR><TD>
</TD><TD>
</TD><TD></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=2 cellPadding=5 width=610><TBODY><TR><TD>
</TD><TD>
</TD><TD></TD></TR><TR><TD></TD><TD></TD><TD></TD></TR><TR><TD>
</TD><TD></TD><TD></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><!-- copyright --><TABLE border=0 cellPadding=10 width=610><TBODY><TR><TD></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

·
Registered
63 Posts
Hi all,

Have had this a few times with mine since I bought a 2nd beast at the start of the year. The temp gauge shoots right up into the red but the engine runs fine and the gauge is ok after a restart.

I know about the thermo and the temp senders and so on - the interesting point is that the temp shown on test 7 in the 'secret menu' shows as -128 whenever the temp guage does its thing. Switch off and restart and everything returns to normal.

She's going to my indy next week to have the thermo and the senders replaced (also some fresh MAFS and VANOS solenoids) which I expect will resolve it, but wanted to share the temp reading in the menu, as I was expecting that to remain at 70 degrees or whatever (as it is this reading which the DME sees, right?)

SD.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
I would assume if the temp goes to -128 either you have a really bad sender or you have a bad connection between the sender and the plug??

Not sure if the temp sender is positive or negative temp coefficient?? I guess a way to simulate the problem is to unplug the temp sender and see what way the gauge goes, it is pegs, I would be looking either a bad ground or a bad terminal in the temp sensor connector.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I would assume if the temp goes to -128 either you have a really bad sender or you have a bad connection between the sender and the plug??

Not sure if the temp sender is positive or negative temp coefficient?? I guess a way to simulate the problem is to unplug the temp sender and see what way the gauge goes, it is pegs, I would be looking either a bad ground or a bad terminal in the temp sensor connector.
Thanks. I'm not going to fiddle with it though. She goes to the indy on Tuesday so they will take care of it for me.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts