BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a 93 E34 M5. Has been in garage for about 2 weeks due to MI snow but finally had 50 degree weather so took her out today. While driving, the temp guage workes great and once it hits mid point, stays there. However, I hit a patch of road of potholes and while navigating through there, I noticed that the temp gauge has dropped to zero (all the way to the left). I hit the dash board and the temp guage jumps back to mid range. I hit another rut in the road, and the temp gauge goes al lthe way to the left again... what gives? Any Ideas? thoughts? Car has about 160K miles. Prior to arrival in MI, it had been a CA car for the past 6-7yrs.

Thanks.

·
Registered
7,667 Posts
Sounds like a loose connection to the cluster ...........

Either that , or you are The Fonz :

·
Registered
7,667 Posts
Perhaps you are too young .

For your guide , The Fonz used to hit or kick things and they would start to work again !

p.s. Jokes are never that good after you've had to explain them .......

Good luck with your cluster , as it appears that this is where your fault lies !

D

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
davidoli:
Thank you foe enlightening me - it does make sense and I think I like the way "Fonz" works :)
Looks like my options are:
a) fix cluster
b) avoid ruts and potholes!

·
Registered
7,667 Posts
My pleasure ..........

I hope that you get it sorted out ......

It may be as simple as undoing the 2 small phillips screws that hold the top of the instrument cluster to the dashboard , sliding the steering column as far towards the driver's seat as possible and sliding the instrument cluster out to check that the 4 plugs are all well connected !

D

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That's all it takes to remove the IP? Simple enough... I will report back once I check the back of IP for the 4 plug connections.
Thank you.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts