BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whats up guys? Its me again, your resident 22 year old idiot. Listen to what happened this time.

I was driving down a street where it is two lanes and there are very tall buildings on both sides of me for about a couple miles. So I get on it a little bit to hear my exhaust (sorry i havent posted more videos, I will eventually) and I notice a bike cop sees me and gives me a dirty look. I wasnt speeding but it definitely sounded like I was. Anyways I proceed to try to park around the corner and apparently this bike cop took a shorter more direct way to this parking structure and is in the middle of the street directing me to pull over to the curb beside him. Now keep in mind that his bike cop is not on a motorcycle, but on a BICYCLE. Anyways, he asks me why my exhaust is so loud and for my license and registration. Lucky me, I dont have my drivers license but I did have my registration. So I give him that, my debit card, and my student ID. He then asks for my proof of insurance and I look everywhere for that but I just switched to Farmers from AAA and didnt have the new policy. At this point the cop is pretty mad and could have impounded my car, but instead of impounding my car, he writes me up for EVERYTHING.

1. Excessive Noise - I dont know if that is better than "modified exhaust"
2. Driving without a License
3. Driving without proof of insurance
4. Illegally Tinted Windows
5. No front license plate

All are fix it tickets, but jesus for all that? I just got my exhaust less than a month ago, I dont want to remove it, or my tint. I can furnish a license and proof of insurance but what I really dont know what to do is how to fix this from plate business.

I dont even think that the M5 has brackets for front plates... does he really expect me to drill holes in my bumper to affix the damn plates? What should I do about that. Im gonna pay the fine for the exhaust but Im not sure about this... What do you guys think? It seems like Im having lots of legal and just retardedness trouble with the beast. maybe ill go to the dark side and get a CL63 instead...

·
Registered
74 Posts
Damn. Another member just had a ticket for his exhaust and no plates. I guess since the economy is sluggish right now they have to find revenue streams from writing tickets for any damn thing. Velcro the plate holder and your license plate with a few long strips at the station and then remove it when you get home, and wipe the residue off with goo gone but be careful with the paint. Usually the cops are too lazy to actually walk up to your car and check, in my town they just look through the window and say 'ok, looks good now, don't break the law next time'. I'm always like 'yeah... ok officer, sure'.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Around South Cali where I live, the court gives you an option to pay the fine instead of fix the problem. Sounds ridculous, but that's how it is. For the tint, I would just pay the pine. I think it doubles if they catch you again, then triples if they get you yet again. But at least you don;t have to pay to strip the tint just to re-tint it.

+1 for E-Man. Velcro the Plate or use double sided tape. Don't drill.

·
Registered
72 Posts
a mini aftermarket company: www.gominigo.com makes a stainless bracket that screws into the tow hook opening, it's easily removed and installed. I have one to avoid just that problem, particularly if I have been out to dinner and just had a glass of wine. If you go the bracket route, make sure and call them and specify exaclty what model car you have, the M5 needs a longer bolt than the M3 or a regular 5 series to clear the bumper. The owners are very nice and will get you what you need.

·
Registered
218 Posts
If I am not mistaken, California dealers make you sign a form which proves that they provided the buyer with a front License Plate Bracket. At least mine did. So, I have a front License Plate holder. Also, the police at Los Angeles International Airport LOVE to give out front license plate tickets. I would think the dealer has a front plate bracket.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Dealer will likely give you a bracket for nothing (they did for me) and will drill it for a small charge (or for free if you take it in with an oil change or something like it). My old dealer did it for nothing.

·
Registered
2,244 Posts

·
Registered
464 Posts
He got you because you're young and driving a nicer car than he will ever be able to afford - by having the loud exhaust, you somehow challenged his ego, and his pathetic insecurities took over... or, maybe you gave him the finger as you passed... j/k.

·
Registered
994 Posts
If I am not mistaken, California dealers make you sign a form which proves that they provided the buyer with a front License Plate Bracket. At least mine did. So, I have a front License Plate holder. Also, the police at Los Angeles International Airport LOVE to give out front license plate tickets. I would think the dealer has a front plate bracket.
I forgot about about the LAX nazis. My ex g/f borrowed my 996TT a couple of years back. A bike cop saw her, shouted at her for five minutes and made her cry. Looks like Burbank-LAX-Heathrow for me when I visit Europe:1:

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
Go to court and see if you can get the crap dropped.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
a mini aftermarket company: www.gominigo.com makes a stainless bracket that screws into the tow hook opening, it's easily removed and installed. I have one to avoid just that problem, particularly if I have been out to dinner and just had a glass of wine. If you go the bracket route, make sure and call them and specify exaclty what model car you have, the M5 needs a longer bolt than the M3 or a regular 5 series to clear the bumper. The owners are very nice and will get you what you need.
Do a search, I photographed the final product of the Gominigo product that works on the E60. As stated above, it easily removes. In fact, I keep mine in my trunk with the ready excuse that it vibrated loose and I took it off for safety reasons!:dunno:

However, buddy. . . after the young man in Florida, I was thinking about you when you had first posted this past summer. I felt some similarities in the manner of the messages/questions posted. It is good to hear your doing okay. Sorry you got popped! But on a side note, if you drove away at 35 mph, do you think bicycle boy would have caught up with you.:hihi: You just never should have acknowledge him.

Good luck son!:cheers:

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
no biggie !!

zip tie the plate to the plastic mesh and take a pic !!
take your liscense and ins card to court with you !!

and pay the fine for the exhaust !!

they should throw out or plead down the others as long as you have proof !!

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
BAD luck maybe. AS my dear old Daddy used to say, "you gota know when and when not to". That situation was a "when not to" hmmm

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
no biggie !!

zip tie the plate to the plastic mesh and take a pic !!
take your liscense and ins card to court with you !!

and pay the fine for the exhaust !!

they should throw out or plead down the others as long as you have proof !!
That zip tie idea and the velcro ideas are great. Once again the power of the M5 board overpowers that of the law. Sweet... Thanks guys.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts