BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been driving my M6 for about three weeks, and have driven around town, as well as on the highway. I am interested
in hearing from experienced M drivers as to how you drive.. For example, do you use p-400 mode around town, and hit the M button
when in need of speed ? When on the highway, do you stay in the M mode, or switch to standard mode ?

And do you have any idea what kind of gas mileage you get ?

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
I have been driving my M6 for about three weeks, and have driven around town, as well as on the highway. I am interested
in hearing from experienced M drivers as to how you drive.. For example, do you use p-400 mode around town, and hit the M button
when in need of speed ? When on the highway, do you stay in the M mode, or switch to standard mode ?

And do you have any idea what kind of gas mileage you get ?
Welcome and congrats! I've had my M6 for about 3.5 months and i started off in P400 for about 2 weeks. I soon read a post that said, "if you want to drive P400' buy a 650. This is an M6, drive it the way it was made to be driven". From this point on I have driven P500 Sport with MDM in 90% of all situations. If bone dry and I'm playing around, I turn off DSC and move to S6. I really hope this helps!
Enjoy your beast and best of luck to you!!

Almost forgot, as far as gas mileage goes, I'm at 10.1 mpg but I am working very diligently to lower it into the 9.0 to 9.5 range. It's taking longer than I thought but I'm not giving up! I hope you set goals such as this, as well!! :hihi:

Reactions: mym6

·
Registered
96 Posts
P400 is a great setting to start with the M6! Especially if you're not used yet to so much power.

P500 will unleash the beast but it doesn't feel fast yet. For that you will need P500 Sport as this improves the throttle response,
but it may be too uncomfortable in city driving though.

I recommend you keep DSC ON until you are really used to the M6. DSC OFF is very dangerous on public roads and should not be underestimated.
You also have MDM mode which is a mode between DSC ON and DSC OFF. It's what I prefer.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
And remember one of the most important rules of all: on deceleration below about 35MPH, downshift all the way to 1st gear. The SMG loves it, and after awhile the rev matching will become second nature. Even some experienced M6 drivers are reluctant to downshift to 1st because of what they were taught in the past-- those rules do not apply in this league.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Driving your M6 in p-400 mode would be like F'ing your girlfriend missionary style! WHY!?!?!

When you hit the little start button, ALWAYS push the "M" button. I always shift close to redline and just listen to the music the engine and exhaust make...

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Driving your M6 in p-400 mode would be like F'ing your girlfriend missionary style! WHY!?!?!

When you hit the little start button, ALWAYS push the "M" button. I always shift close to redline and just listen to the music the engine and exhaust make...
Roger that. Ajax shifts right after he sees a flash of red in the HUD.

Reactions: MKSixer

·
Registered
21 Posts
I start the beast in P500 with S5 (or 4 if in traffic), M button in P500 Sport, MDM, medium setting on suspension, ready to go when there's room to drive or jumping to a gap in traffic. If dry, DSC off and S6... Must confess that I don't go that often in the upper rev range as I'd be going to jail for speeding ...

PS: I must have driven in D 15 miles in 4 years, when stuck in traffic badly...

Reactions: mym6

·
Registered
579 Posts
Sorry, I have the MAN :sprint00: trans and can't help you with the SMG stuff.

·
Registered
358 Posts
My routine is start car then push M button immediately. M button settings - P500s, Normal, S5, MDM. Agree with the previous post, no reason to have a 500 HP beast and drive it 400 setting. The car will get pissed at you and seek revenge. I will occasionally switch DSC off for some fun with the back end. As far as gears, when I first got the car I was switching around 4 to 5K. What a moron I was, this car likes high RPMs and will sing to you if you get up around the 7 to 8K range. The only time I use 6 or 7th gear is when I'm on a stretch of highway thats straight and has no traffic and I'm using cruise control (if I didn't use cruise control I'd be in triple figures all the time). One of my favorite things on the highway is coming up to a car driving 60, dropping down to 3 gear and passing it. By the time I switch back into the right lane I'm around 100 and grinning ear to ear and car is singing to me.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts