BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.teknikensvarld.com drove the M5 vs. E55 AMG T.

I'm not gonna go through translating everything, but to my surprise the winner is the E55 AMG.

BMW M5 E60

4 stars in Euro NCAP

0 - 200 km/h 13.73 sec.
402m 12.68 192,4 sec. (very nice trap speed!)

Mercedes Benz E55 AMG Touring

5 stars in Euro NCAP

0 - 200 km/h 14.33 sec.
402m 12.78 188,4 sec.

Please note that this test seems to have been on a dry air strip on winter tires. :7:

Worth noting is that the times on the quarter mile are almost identical, even though the E55 is heavier, has less power and a 5-geared auto.
Up to 70 km/h the AMG is faster.

I would chose the M5 over the E55 (not for looks ;) ), but I think BMW made a huge mistake by having "only" 400 hp as default and then having to use the menues to get the settings I want. (almost 300 to chose from)
Yes, I know there is the M button but if you want to go from there adjusting something? I want to drive, not play a video game.

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
SUPRA said:
http://www.teknikensvarld.com drove the M5 vs. E55 AMG T.

I'm not gonna go through translating everything, but to my surprise the winner is the E55 AMG.

BMW M5 E60

4 stars in Euro NCAP

0 - 200 km/h 13.73 sec.
402m 12.68 192,4 sec. (very nice trap speed!)

Mercedes Benz E55 AMG Touring

5 stars in Euro NCAP

0 - 200 km/h 14.33 sec.
402m 12.78 188,4 sec.

Please note that this test seems to have been on a dry air strip on winter tires. :7:

Worth noting is that the times on the quarter mile are almost identical, even though the E55 is heavier, has less power and a 5-geared auto.
Up to 70 km/h the AMG is faster.

I would chose the M5 over the E55 (not for looks ;) ), but I think BMW made a huge mistake by having "only" 400 hp as default and then having to use the menues to get the settings I want. (almost 300 to chose from)
Yes, I know there is the M button but if you want to go from there adjusting something? I want to drive, not play a video game.
13.73 seconds 0 - 200 kph is the best I've seen. Was this on winter tires???

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Carmags is about personal feelings so do we when we buy a car. Some like the Benz some like the M5, both great cars but attract to different people/buyers.

I go with the M5 :D

Wolverine, best time I seen is 13.5 sec for the M5 :thumbsup:

·
Registered
271 Posts
I drove an E55 AMG Estate for the first time last weekend. It is extremely fast in a straight line - the sort of effortlessly quick acceleration that would loose you your licence very easily :rolleyes:

Did 120mph round a sweeping bend and though it didn't feel unstable, it did not feel glued to the road either like say a 911 Turbo does. I know it is an Estate but it still felt very "wallowy" - not in comparison to a "normal" car but in comparison to other supercars that its straight-line speed makes it a part of. I know we have had this debate lots of time before, but I think if you are used to driving performance cars then the M5 is a much better bet.

·
Registered
49,476 Posts
That is an amazing acceleration time. Hopefully this is the exact example of M5 I may borrow from BMW Sweden!

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
They also complain that the M5 feels light above 225 km/h ??????

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
Gustav said:
That is an amazing acceleration time. Hopefully this is the exact example of M5 I may borrow from BMW Sweden!
What's really incredible, it the in-gear acelleration. With a 4.5 sec time to 100 kph, 13.5 sec to 200 kph gives a 9.0 100 - 200 kph time. This is Gallardo/Porsche Turbo territory.

·
Registered
69 Posts
13.73 seconds 0 - 200 kph is the best I've seen. Was this on winter tires???
In the swedish version of Auto Motor & Sport they wrote that it takes 13.2s to 200km/h with Laung Control. And around the Nurnburg ring takes 8.13 min!

Philip

·
Registered
49,476 Posts
The very good time was acheived when it was -18 degrees Celsius. Very cold.

I think the test had poor point why the E55 AMG was better. I lost even more trust for this magazine.

·
Registered
13,638 Posts
SUPRA said:
They also complain that the M5 feels light above 225 km/h ??????
Maybe the test car didn't have the rear spoiler?

·
Moderator Emeritus
430 Posts
SUPRA said:
Yeah, that's what people said when the first computer mouse was introduced, the rest is history.

You can assign the 500hp mode on one of the programmable buttons on the steering wheel, not a big deal.

That said, why did they take the E55 as Touring ?

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Deckard said:
Yeah, that's what people said when the first computer mouse was introduced, the rest is history.
Well, the iDrive has been around now for years and I have yet to read a positive review of it. I guess everybody is wrong.

I know there's a programmable button, gives you a shortcut to your favourite among almost 300 different settings.

I agree with Gustav that the E55 won in a perculiar way this time (I was really surprised), but fact remains it did win.

I am very surprised to see the M5 come second in so many reviews, I expected it to win everything.

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ashok Arora said:
Maybe the test car didn't have the rear spoiler?
Uh? Is the spoiler optional? :confused:

It's a bit difficult to see in the (mainly) dark pictures, but it doesn't seem to have a rear spoiler.

They write "already at 225 km/h the M5 starts to feel a bit 'unsafe' :wroom: and light in the front, but we reach 262 km/h before we hit the limiter."

Remember, the M5 was on winter tires. Summer tires will help it to be more stable!

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
vndkshn said:
What was the reason the E55 won?
In short: Overall better daily car.

For the record: License plate of this M5 is WMF 835.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts