BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is the gas from different gas companies any different, or is it more marketing hype. I always use Chevron with techron, and felt that it might be better than gasoline that does not have it. I'm just assuming here.....What do you guys think? Are they all the same, or any advantages from putting from one of the gas companies out there?

·
Registered
216 Posts
Yes. Gasoline can differ.

From Your M5 Manual:
"Use high-quality brands
Field experience has indicated significant differences
in fuel quality: volatility, composition,
additives, etc., among gasolines offered for sale
in the United States and Canada. Fuels containing
up to and including 10% ethanol or other
oxygenates with up to 2.8% oxygen by weight,
that is, 15% MTBE or 3% methanol plus an
equivalent amount of co-solvent, will not void
the applicable warranties with respect to
defects in materials or workmanship.
The use of poor-quality fuels may result in
drivability, starting and stalling problems
especially under certain environmental conditions
such as high ambient temperature and
high altitude.
Should you encounter drivability problems
which you suspect could be related to the fuel
you are using, we recommend that you respond
by switching to a recognized high-quality brand
such as gasoline that is advertised as Top Tier
Detergent Gasoline.

Failure to comply with these recommendations
may also result in unscheduled maintenance.
"
- page 175 BMW USA M5 manual (2006)

Here is a link on best gasoline companies in terms of detergents and additives which is mentioned in your BMW manual:
Top Tier Gasoline

<table><tbody><tr><td colspan="2" style="text-align: center;">TOP TIER Gasoline Retailers:</td> </tr> <tr> <td colspan="2" style="text-align: center;">
</td> </tr> <tr> <td style="width: 241px;"> 76</td> <td style="width: 276px;"> Petro-Canada</td> </tr> <tr> <td style="width: 241px;"> Aloha Petroleum</td> <td style="width: 276px;"> Phillips 66</td> </tr> <tr> <td style="width: 241px;"> Chevron</td> <td style="width: 276px;"> QuikTrip</td> </tr> <tr> <td style="width: 241px;"> Chevron Canada</td> <td style="width: 276px;"> Rebel Oil</td> </tr> <tr> <td style="width: 241px;"> Conoco</td> <td style="width: 276px;"> Road Ranger</td> </tr> <tr> <td style="width: 241px;"> CountryMark</td> <td style="width: 276px;"> Severson Oil</td> </tr> <tr> <td style="width: 241px;"> Entec Stations</td> <td style="width: 276px;"> Shell</td> </tr> <tr> <td style="width: 241px;"> Esso</td> <td style="width: 276px;"> Shell Canada</td> </tr> <tr> <td style="width: 241px;"> Exxon</td> <td style="width: 276px;"> Sunoco Canada</td> </tr> <tr> <td style="width: 241px;"> Kwik Trip / Kwik Star</td> <td style="width: 276px;"> Texaco</td> </tr> <tr> <td style="width: 241px;"> MFA Oil Co.</td> <td style="width: 276px;"> The Somerset Refinery, Inc.</td> </tr> <tr> <td style="width: 241px;"> Mileage Stations</td> <td style="width: 276px;"> Tri-Par Oil Co.</td> </tr> <tr> <td style="width: 241px;"> Mobil</td> <td style="width: 276px;"> Turkey Hill Minit Markets</td> </tr> <tr> <td style="width: 241px;">
</td> <td style="width: 276px;"> U.S. Oil</td></tr></tbody></table>

Reactions: sanchezdds

·
Registered
32 Posts
I do not know the answer to that question, but I've always found this video intriguing. F1 fuel for an F1 engine?

sorry since this might be a repost...

<iframe src="http://player.vimeo.com/video/2283022" width="400" height="225" frameborder="0"></iframe><p><a href="http://vimeo.com/2283022">Ferrari Shell "Circuit TV" ad</a> from <a href="http://vimeo.com/user928056">Ian Anderson</a> on <a href="http://vimeo.com">Vimeo</a>.</p>

I personally use Sunoco, and add Chevron Techron every so often. :dunno:

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes. Gasoline can differ.

From Your M5 Manual:
"Use high-quality brands
Field experience has indicated significant differences
in fuel quality: volatility, composition,
additives, etc., among gasolines offered for sale
in the United States and Canada. Fuels containing
up to and including 10% ethanol or other
oxygenates with up to 2.8% oxygen by weight,
that is, 15% MTBE or 3% methanol plus an
equivalent amount of co-solvent, will not void
the applicable warranties with respect to
defects in materials or workmanship.
The use of poor-quality fuels may result in
drivability, starting and stalling problems
especially under certain environmental conditions
such as high ambient temperature and
high altitude.
Should you encounter drivability problems
which you suspect could be related to the fuel
you are using, we recommend that you respond
by switching to a recognized high-quality brand
such as gasoline that is advertised as Top Tier
Detergent Gasoline.

Failure to comply with these recommendations
may also result in unscheduled maintenance.
"
- page 175 BMW USA M5 manual (2006)

Here is a link on best gasoline companies in terms of detergents and additives which is mentioned in your BMW manual:
Top Tier Gasoline

<table><tbody><tr><td colspan="2" style="text-align: center;">TOP TIER Gasoline Retailers:</td> </tr> <tr> <td colspan="2" style="text-align: center;">
</td> </tr> <tr> <td style="width: 241px;"> 76</td> <td style="width: 276px;"> Petro-Canada</td> </tr> <tr> <td style="width: 241px;"> Aloha Petroleum</td> <td style="width: 276px;"> Phillips 66</td> </tr> <tr> <td style="width: 241px;"> Chevron</td> <td style="width: 276px;"> QuikTrip</td> </tr> <tr> <td style="width: 241px;"> Chevron Canada</td> <td style="width: 276px;"> Rebel Oil</td> </tr> <tr> <td style="width: 241px;"> Conoco</td> <td style="width: 276px;"> Road Ranger</td> </tr> <tr> <td style="width: 241px;"> CountryMark</td> <td style="width: 276px;"> Severson Oil</td> </tr> <tr> <td style="width: 241px;"> Entec Stations</td> <td style="width: 276px;"> Shell</td> </tr> <tr> <td style="width: 241px;"> Esso</td> <td style="width: 276px;"> Shell Canada</td> </tr> <tr> <td style="width: 241px;"> Exxon</td> <td style="width: 276px;"> Sunoco Canada</td> </tr> <tr> <td style="width: 241px;"> Kwik Trip / Kwik Star</td> <td style="width: 276px;"> Texaco</td> </tr> <tr> <td style="width: 241px;"> MFA Oil Co.</td> <td style="width: 276px;"> The Somerset Refinery, Inc.</td> </tr> <tr> <td style="width: 241px;"> Mileage Stations</td> <td style="width: 276px;"> Tri-Par Oil Co.</td> </tr> <tr> <td style="width: 241px;"> Mobil</td> <td style="width: 276px;"> Turkey Hill Minit Markets</td> </tr> <tr> <td style="width: 241px;">
</td> <td style="width: 276px;"> U.S. Oil</td></tr></tbody></table>
Wow. Thanks for taking the time.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I usually stick to Shell since I get 10% cash back, but Chevron is another top tier brand as well. Those are the only two fuels I trust in the beast.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
so far it's Shell and Chevron.

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
I use Shell, Chevron, and 76. Primarily Chevron though...

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
I've used both Chevron and Shell. My personal experience is that the car seems to run smoother when I'm running Shell. The idle rpm seems more stable and acceleration just feels smoother. I'm running the CA 91.

·
Registered
25 Posts
As someone who works in the Oil Transportation business, I'd say as long as you stick to any of the Oil Majors (BP, Shell, Chevron, etc.) you'll be fine. Though there are a few small differences in the gas, you'll never notice it. A fair amount of gas is traded back and forth between the Majors from when it leaves the refinery to when it gets to your car. So there is no guarantee BP gas is BP gas, though they all will meet the same basic specs.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts