BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 133 Posts

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As most of you are aware, my M5 was in an accident a few weeks back. The insurance company did not total it, so I will be making the repairs as well as a few other replacement parts to bring her back on the road again. I plan to do all work with the exception of the paint. I will update the thread as progress is made. It will probably be slow from time to time, based on waiting for parts or for paint work.

So first are a few pictures of the damage, followed by tear down, followed by my first batch of parts. I found a craigslist ad that had the remaining parts from a part out which consisted of a hood, drivers fender and both driver side doors. The car that was parted out was a 2001 540i with Sport package and get this, was Anthracite! It was a 3 hour drive each way, but I picked up all these parts for $300 plus the $60 or so in gas to get them. The doors will be good for the future if mine get too rusty (they started on the bottom lip on the inside of the door) plus they have glass, window motors, latches, etc. AND they have shadow line trim on them! I need the B pillar? piece for my car as mine somehow got rusty. The fender I don't think I need, but not positive yet. The hood was needed for sure. The only negative from these parts, price, and trip is that the hood wasn't originally anthracite, so the underside is steel grey? and there are 2 layers of paint now on it, so it will need to be sanded down and also still need to paint the underside just like if I found a red hood for example.

Pics:

Attachments

Reactions: NCVU and e60530i

·
Registered
805 Posts
540i parts on your unicorn M5? BLASPHEMY!

but in all seriousness...git 'er dun! she will live to see another day (and 300K)

·
Registered
6,918 Posts
Time to learn how to paint. :)

Reactions: Terabass

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Subscribed for the win. Any plans for wheels Tim?
haha. You guys are so subtle with my wheel condition. :crying: Yeah I will try and figure out a way to get them done while the car is laid up. My tire guy is gonna be pissed as I just had him mount these tires last month, and he mounted 2 others this past spring. With the car being immobile is the best time to get them done though.

I also have plans to buy new side molding/trim all around, as mine is faded and the black plastic restore products don't last long enough. I just need to manage the money to get the most out of it.

I also have ideas about having the bodyshop fix the few small bubbles in my paint in various areas. I have to see what they're going to want for some of this work.

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Time to learn how to paint. :)
Yeah right. I don't have the patience for body work. I can bolt on and line up body parts, trim, etc. but sanding, filling, primer, paint... not for me. And not having any prior experience makes painting the ///M not only a bad idea, but stupid.

Reactions: chuffykow

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
I am so glad you decided to repair this, repairing it will be a very easy process as you will discover :) Your off to a great start by getting those parts for a song

I would test fit the hood ASAP to see if you will need the fenders though it looks like you already bought one, probably not a bad idea, but it may be the mounting location tweaked vs the fender itself. And how do you know the hood was repainted? Did the previous owner say that he repainted it? They dont clearcoat underneath and sometimes dont even use a metallic layer underneath, so it can appear a different color. For instance if you look at an estoril blue Z3 (very metallic) under the hood it looks more like laguna seca blue (not metallic at all)

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I am so glad you decided to repair this, repairing it will be a very easy process as you will discover :) Your off to a great start by getting those parts for a song

I would test fit the hood ASAP to see if you will need the fenders though it looks like you already bought one, probably not a bad idea, but it may be the mounting location tweaked vs the fender itself. And how do you know the hood was repainted? Did the previous owner say that he repainted it? They dont clearcoat underneath and sometimes dont even use a metallic layer underneath, so it can appear a different color. For instance if you look at an estoril blue Z3 (very metallic) under the hood it looks more like laguna seca blue (not metallic at all)
Yeah my goal for the next night or so is to get my hood off and this one on. I did pull my hood as straight as I could get it by hand so it would close more, and it looks pretty close, but it's still bent so I can't tell for sure if the alignment is good. Only way to know is like you said, mount the new hood and take a look.

I am certain the parts I got were repainted as there are rock chips and handling chips in it and you can see the original layer of paint underneath. Plus the seller said the car was painted. Also, the underside of the new hood is a different color than mine. I did figure out about the no clearcoat underneath method. The good news is I removed the insulation under the hood and did not see any dents that may have been repaired with bondo on the top side. The hood really does look straight.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,918 Posts
Yeah right. I don't have the patience for body work. I can bolt on and line up body parts, trim, etc. but sanding, filling, primer, paint... not for me. And not having any prior experience makes painting the ///M not only a bad idea, but stupid.
thus time to learn. hiha

·
Registered
6,918 Posts
An English wheel will take those kinks right out of there, BAM, brand new hood again!

·
Registered
6,918 Posts
try your hand at shadow chrome while you're in there :hihi:
Dude, i thought this is a DIY forum. hiha And the guy's just built a big new garage!

Reactions: technician117

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
Tim,

posted in your wtb thread.

Reactions: technician117

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Tim,
Good luck with the restoration.

I had the usual corrosion (behind the filler door, rear number plate lamps and corner of the boot lid) done for $600 with a few other odds and ends when the rear fascia was replaced if that helps to give you an idea of the cost; but I didn't do any prep work so my cost was likely a bit higher.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Your garage looks like a good place to be.

(hypothetical buddy helping you unload parts): "Where do you want me to set this quarter panel?"

....."Over by those heads will be fine"
:cheers:

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Dude, i thought this is a DIY forum. hiha And the guy's just built a big new garage!
I don't even have my big tool box or all of my tools here yet. Let alone no air compressor, no vise bolted to the non-existent work bench, etc. I've been so busy working on the rest of the house, working on other board member's cars, my dad's 528i, side jobs to pay for parts for my car, and yes, certainly spent time working on my car before this mess, that I haven't had time to build out the garage. I basically have been doing all of this work the past 4 months using 4 jack stands, a harbor freight floor jack, and a hand tool box and cardboard box laying on the floor with everything spread out on the ground.

I need to grind and treat the concrete (the business I work in) redo ALL of the drywall from the previous owner, fix a small leak by the gutter line, re-arrange and add lighting, paint, and then bring in all my stuff: hang the tool cabinets I have, bring in the work bench, torches, cabinets, etc., buy an air compressor... So this accident was perfect timing! :confused2 Now I'll be building it out when the weather starts to turn bad. ouich

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Your garage looks like a good place to be.

(hypothetical buddy helping you unload parts): "Where do you want me to set this quarter panel?"

....."Over by those heads will be fine"
:cheers:
Just don't scratch the ZX10r!

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
An English wheel will take those kinks right out of there, BAM, brand new hood again!
You haven't seen where the kidney grills go. :eek7:cherrsagai

1 - 20 of 133 Posts