BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi
After just recently servicing my M5 i've noticed a wiring connector that was left unconnected to it's adjacent socet, right next to the service/diagnostic connector. It's the 3rd one towards the front of the car and leads to a box saying VDO and a cable running to part of the throttle bodies, presumably which is the cruise control not actually the VDO display. Anyway the VDO display works fine with or without this connector connected as does the cruise control. Anyone have any idea what this is?

Also when my car is started from cold, after a few seconds of smooth running there's this terrible deep groaning/grinding sound which seems to be independent of the engine revs (revving doesn't alter the pitch or volume). As soon as I start driving or after a few more seconds the noise abruptly stops and doesn't reappear until the next cold start. Is this somekind of valve/actuator that is sticking or more serious?

What's the spare battery for that's connected in the boot and when is it used?

Where is the fuel filter on this car?

There's a few rust spots appearing around the door handles and seams in the car, will waxoyl stop further spread or do I need this professionally sorted?

OH yeah and does the 3.8 engine have hydraulic or manually adjusted tappets?

And while I'm at it- There's 3 throttle cables running to the throttle bodies- what do these do? One must be my throttle, one the cruise control but what's the third?

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Hi!
The loose connector is for the wiring to the top-speed regulator(mine is disconnected too) this is done 1: to disengage the restrictor or 2: the electric restrictor is faulty(as mine; it makes noises and restrict throttle at wrong and random speeds)
The Three cables: 1 is throttle cable, 1 is for cruise control and 1 is for the above mentioned top speed regulator. Disengaging the cable is the easiest way of de-restricting the top speed.

By the way: does your cruise control work? If it does, you know for sure that the disconnected cables aren`t for that.

The noise at cold start is the air pump(emission control device) make a search on the board with "air pump" to read more, there`s several threads about this.

The spare battery is for the car phone or fuel driven heater.(in your case phone I presume.

Tappets are manually adjusted.

Can`t answer the ret of the questions...

:cheers:
Sakke

·
Registered
178 Posts
Hi,

The fuel filter is located underneath the car, in front of the fuel tank towards the right side. The filter itself is a 5-10 cm long cylinder connected to a rubber hose in each end. (Applies to a 3.6 on which I changed the filter, I guess it's the same on the 3.8.)

Btw, if you are going to change it, make sure to pinch the hoses properly before disconnecting the hose clamps. I learned that fuel systems are under pressure even though the engine is turned off... ouich Changing it is pretty straight-forward.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Mr. J said:
Hi,

The fuel filter is located underneath the car, in front of the fuel tank towards the right side. The filter itself is a 5-10 cm long cylinder connected to a rubber hose in each end. (Applies to a 3.6 on which I changed the filter, I guess it's the same on the 3.8.)

Btw, if you are going to change it, make sure to pinch the hoses properly before disconnecting the hose clamps. I learned that fuel systems are under pressure even though the engine is turned off... ouich Changing it is pretty straight-forward.
Welcome to the board mr.J !!!!!!!!!!!!!

:thumbsup: :M5thumbs:
Sakke

·
Registered
178 Posts
DrSakke said:
Welcome to the board mr.J !!!!!!!!!!!!!

:thumbsup: :M5thumbs:
Sakke
Thanks DrSakke! :cheers:
I've been reading frequently for a while so I tought it was time to step out in the light too!

As a teenager, I was an addicted reader of the old M5 messageboard in the late 90's, and ever since I've been dreaming about an E34 M5, thanks to you guys! And it surely lived up to my expectations! :) :flag:

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Welcome Mr J

Nice to see another Swede on the forum.
If you are in the Karlstad/Åmål area - let me know - we could meet up.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts