BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, just wanted to see if anyone else has seen this...the interior lights flicker while car is idling...I have radio and nav screen on...happens with headlights on or off. :confused:

I'm guessing an alternator or battery problem?? Just had inspection 1 done, and nothing out of the ordinary noted. Any ideas?? Thanks.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Without trying to be overly simplistic, does the problem go away when you raise the idle a little? At what rate does the flicker occur? Is it limited to the interior lights or are the dash lights also flickering?

More details will get you a better answer.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey jjc, thanks, you're right. The "problem" seems to disappear when I apply the accelerator. Doesn't happen all the time, usually just on start up. Otherwise I don't notice it. I'm taking her in for service on Thursday, and I'll do my best to describe the problem, but I don't know if they'll be able to replicate it.

The dash lights are fine...just the main lights and reading lights etc fluctuate in intensity while car is idling. ??????

·
Registered
12,777 Posts
Funny, my car does the same thing. Shouldn't the electical system be able to support everything at idle without this happening???:dunno:

Derck
No report back from the lister who was taking it in, but two easy places to check would be the connections on the battery and the tension on the alternator belt. I assume the idle speed is about 600 rpm.
Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
6,468 Posts
Bad voltage regulator on the alternator - the whole point of which is to ensure that the electronics in the car are provided a constant voltage.

Doug

1 - 6 of 6 Posts