BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,246 Posts
I want to say it is the passenger side but I am not positive on this. Hopefully, someone can provide some reassurance for you...and me! Please let us know how oyu make out.

·
Registered
4,246 Posts
Well, seems we have some contradictory reports. I still think 1-4 are on the passenger side (LHD versions) and 5-8 are on the driver side. When you open the top plastic peice of your valve covers to gain access to the spark plugs and coils you will find the cylinders numbered. When doing this the other day, I am almost positive 1-4 were on the passenger side of the car.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Well, I'll take another shot at this one in search of the truth. It is quite possible that the image has been improperly labeled, but I'm certain that the attached picture attached shows the front of the engine in the lower portion of the image. This is recognizeable due to the 'flat' surface of the front of the block and the cylinder bank on the right side of the image being slightly offset to the rear.

Funny thing is that there is another picture in the TIS manual I'm looking at that refers to chain guide rails on the valve train that seems to contradict the cylinder numbering (picture is inconclusive, though). No other data points to compare.

When I changed my spark plugs I wasn't looking for numbers, so I don't recall them.

Looks like I'm not as much help on this one as I thought.

Good luck :confused3

·
Registered
590 Posts
If you are looking at the engine from the front of the car No 1-2-3-4 cylinders (Bank 1) are on your left (passenger side LHD cars, driver side RHD cars). I just put a bank 1 exhaust cam sensor in. Bank 1 is always the side where No 1 plug is on.

Hope this clears up any confusion.
Joe

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
1-4 On the S62/M62 is the leftside when looking under the hood/Bonnet.

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
OldRanger said:
Well, I'll take another shot at this one in search of the truth. It is quite possible that the image has been improperly labeled, but I'm certain that the attached picture attached shows the front of the engine in the lower portion of the image. This is recognizeable due to the 'flat' surface of the front of the block and the cylinder bank on the right side of the image being slightly offset to the rear.

Funny thing is that there is another picture in the TIS manual I'm looking at that refers to chain guide rails on the valve train that seems to contradict the cylinder numbering (picture is inconclusive, though). No other data points to compare.

When I changed my spark plugs I wasn't looking for numbers, so I don't recall them.

Looks like I'm not as much help on this one as I thought.

Good luck :confused3
That's a good pic, Ranger. At the bottom is a BIG hole for the business end of the crank, which means 1-4 is on the right as viewed from the driver's seat.. The view from the driver's seat is common protocol, rather than describing left/right from the view from an open hood.

·
Registered
590 Posts
ELEVENS said:
That's a good pic, Ranger. At the bottom is a BIG hole for the business end of the crank, which means 1-4 is on the right as viewed from the driver's seat.. The view from the driver's seat is common protocol, rather than describing left/right from the view from an open hood.
Elevens your correct in stating that the most "common protocol" is the veiw from the drivers seat or should I say used to be. Today with engines turned sideways in the engine compartment the manufactures have come up with all sorts of ways to describe which side of the engine they mean. It's very confusing sometimes.

In BMW's case they seem to always describe their veiw from the front of the car facing the engine. So actually the left side of the car is the right side engine and the right side car is the left side engine.
Confused yet? :hihi:

Joe

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
OK I can confuse it more.
The cylinder bank forward the most in the casting, usually has the #1 cylinder in it.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
OK, so it seems that it's the passenger's side. The picture posted by OldRanger supports this because the front of the car is at the top of the pic, and it's also in agreement with 6spd's last post. Thanks for all of your help, guys.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.