BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, my TCU is installed and being recognised by the car and Navcoder but i for the life of me cant get the unit to go into pairing mode!

Navcoder reads the TCU and identifies Bluetooth as enabled yet it will not automatically go into pairing and i cant manually force it too.

I get the following error come up

HELP PLEASE

Attachments

·
Registered
300 Posts
TCU is Telematics Control Unit - aka BMW Assist with Bluetooth - available for iBus vehicles it was standard on most US E53s from 2004+ and also available on E83s.

It's a cheaper alternative to the ULF, but doesn't have the voice activated navigation capabilites.

The TCU always goes into pairing mode when the ignition is first turned on. You shouldn't need NavCoder to kick off pairing.

Try seeing if the TCU shows up on your (i assume) phone in BT devices when you first turn on ignition.

·
Premium Member
13,589 Posts
TCU is Telematics Control Unit - aka BMW Assist with Bluetooth - available for iBus vehicles it was standard on most US E53s from 2004+ and also available on E83s.

It's a cheaper alternative to the ULF, but doesn't have the voice activated navigation capabilites.

The TCU always goes into pairing mode when the ignition is first turned on. You shouldn't need NavCoder to kick off pairing.

Try seeing if the TCU shows up on your (i assume) phone in BT devices when you first turn on ignition.

The pairing code is on the unit like the ULF, I'd assume?

·
Registered
300 Posts
The pairing code is on the unit like the ULF, I'd assume?
Yes it is. It looks like Andy_ran successfully queried the TCU, showing the pairing code (PassKey) in NavCoder as well.

Initiate pairing on the phone, search for BMW94125 on the phone, then enter passcode 3598 on the phone.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yep it should work but it won't go into pairing mode

When using navcoder to force pairing it throws up the above error

·
Registered
3,183 Posts
Pretty sure the TCU does not have a pairing mode as such, so NavCoder does not get a reply to the 'enter pairing mode' message and throws the error. Just do a search for audio accessories from the phone and you should find the device BMW94125 which you can then connect to.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That was my understanding of it all too Richard. However it doesnt show up anywhere, Laptop, Iphone, Sony phone, Nokia Phone.....

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
TCU does support Bluetooth and goes into to auto pair mode when the ignition is turned on.

The TCU is a modular unit and should have 4 Farkara connectors on the end of the unit. There are at least 4 circuit boards inside the TCU, 1. Bluetooth Module, 2. Cell Phone Board, 3. GPS Interface, 4. Main Controller Board.

I have had issues where the Bluetooth board goes bad and does not respond. Had this problem with my '06 E46. TCU was replaced under 48/50 Warranty.

I would pull the unit apart and check the connections to the BT board, make sure there is no corrosion and look closely for broken solder joints.

Depending on your unit, I may have a BT module for a TCU if I can find it??

Somewhere I have pictures of the inside of a TCU I will try to add to the thread later today.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
TCU Pictures:

Smaller daughter board with the Cream colored Farka connector is the Bluetooth module. This TCU is opened and the 4th Farka connector for the GPS input is not shown.

Hope this is somewhat helpful.

Attachments

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks guys

I am returning the unit to the company I bought It from now and will look for a different unit.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Make sure you look at the different versions, some of the earlier versions default when the BMW Assist is not enabled and it will not allow your audio system to function.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks

Have found a late gen ulf so we shall see

1 - 13 of 13 Posts