BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
isn't 70 liter (litre) a bit small for such a gas guzler? I know more gas would mean reduced performance because of added weight but stopping for gas is one of the least funny thing in any days, anybody?

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
57 Posts
I'm guessing there's around 10 liters of reserve, but that's still only about 80 liters (~20 gallons). I would've liked to have seen about 90 liter capacity, but I bet it was done for weight saving purposes when the fuel tank is full.

·
Registered
4,246 Posts
Isn't it the same size as the E39 M5's? What's so small about that?

·
Registered
722 Posts
I think that E60 M5 tank size is the same as in my E39 M5, and I'm guessing that gas mileage will about the same or a little worse, unless one spends a lot of time in the upper rev range with the pedal to the medal, which will burn gas quickly. There were many complaints expressed about the tank size for the E39, but I never found it to be an issue. A tank will last me about a week around town, and several hundred miles on the freeway, i.e. for a much longer time than I want to sit in the car without a stretch break. Gas is usually purchased by credit card right at the pump, a five minute in-and-out transaction. I'll fret about a number of issues before I commit to an E60 M5 purchase, but gas tank size won't be one of them.

Richard

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
desualt said:
isn't 70 liter (litre) a bit small for such a gas guzler? I know more gas would mean reduced performance because of added weight but stopping for gas is one of the least funny thing in any days, anybody?
Same size as E60 5 series. Hey if that's the biggest problem with the M5 - poor gas mileage - I'll be thrilled.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Hey de E34 M5 has a 95L tank... not that I had more than 89L there but you can make 600km on one tank :byee55amg

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Artur Costa said:
Hey de E34 M5 has a 95L tank... not that I had more than 89L there but you can make 600km on one tank :byee55amg
that is more like what should be on the E60 M5, because at 70L you are looking at fill up every 250 miles or 400KM.

But I agree with a earlier post that if this is the only problem with the new M5 then we should be happy with this

:cheers:

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
vndkshn said:
your welcome! :rolleyes:

a very brief search would have netted you the threads that discussed the tank size, as well as several explainations as to why it isn't bigger.
and I did just that before posting...

about everything as been said in long and large about this car, maybe we should just search and read for the next 3 months or so

:rolleyes:

:cheers:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts