BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Getting to know my E39 M5 a little better now , as I'm in my 6th week of ownership, especially the DSC ! On a spirited drive I've found you can almost get away without the DSC light flashing at you IF your smooth and progressive NOT twitchy or aggressive with steering input and accelleration. Its my guess that BMW programmed it this way, cos its smoothness that gets a quick lap on any track..slow in ..proggressive mid corner and quick out. On my track days I've always strived to be smooth rather than aggressive. If you sit in with a racing instructor you'll find hes twice as quick as you but you wouldnt notice it from the passenger seat....some people think if you get the DSC flashing your driving like a driving God....not so IMO. So a great piece of kit IMO...........What are all your thoughts on this DSC thing !

·
Registered
567 Posts
Well, I've found that anytime I try to accelerate hard in first or second gear, DSC is kicking in and slowing down the party. Doesn't have anything with how smooth or not smooth I'm driving, its just that there is too much power for the rear tires and they want to slip. I find that I can accelerate faster with DSC off, because of that.
That being said, DSC is a nice safety net on wet roads or if you hit a patch of gravel or something on the road.

·
Registered
295 Posts
I find that as soon as I sit in the car, just after I buckle my seatbelt, I turn on "Sport" and turn off "DSC".
The only time that I do not do this is when the roads are overly wet.

Al. Wise

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, I've found that anytime I try to accelerate hard in first or second gear, DSC is kicking in and slowing down the party. Doesn't have anything with how smooth or not smooth I'm driving, its just that there is too much power for the rear tires and they want to slip. I find that I can accelerate faster with DSC off, because of that.
That being said, DSC is a nice safety net on wet roads or if you hit a patch of gravel or something on the road.
Try it at 9/10ths and you will make for a better get away cos the DSC wont cut in so early...........a lead right foot wont always get you there quicker...btw this is not a criticisum

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
I like to play a game with my dsc.
I see how fast I can round corners (safely ofcourse) without the dsc kicking in and I think I am winning or maybe the beast is letting me win, not sure.

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
I've been working on my technique also. I find that I can easily light up the DSC light either in straight acceleration or going around corners, but the game for me is to see how fast I can go without lighting it up. It's a challenge sometimes, given the circumstances. And yes, smoother is better and faster in most, if not all, cases.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've been working on my technique also. I find that I can easily light up the DSC light either in straight acceleration or going around corners, but the game for me is to see how fast I can go without lighting it up. It's a challenge sometimes, given the circumstances. And yes, smoother is better and faster in most, if not all, cases.
At last ...........someone who understands my post...Tyre tread also comes into the DSC thing too..........Mine are very low now so its more of a challenge.....similar to an F1 car on its last few laps !!!!!!!........cheers Mike S

Reactions: Mike S.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I like to play a game with my dsc.
I see how fast I can round corners (safely ofcourse) without the dsc kicking in and I think I am winning or maybe the beast is letting me win, not sure.
Andy...Hi, The beast definately isn't letting you win .......you are doing something correct imho...by pushing harder in a proggressive manner your learning 10 fold about your car in a short time ...keep it up

·
10,456 Posts
the dsc is easy to tame, just press the button, and it's off! You will always be a little faster with some slip, be it on a wet or dry track, and the dsc just doesn't allow for that. It just clamps down on the brakes and shuts down the throttle. The e39's generation of dsc just doesn't allow for anything.

I generally agree with what you're saying, smoother is faster. When i instruct at a bmw track event, i always want my novice students (and even more advanced ones) do at least a couple sessions with the dsc on, so we can note where on the track it's kicking in. These are generally the areas we'll really need to work on smoothness at.
:M5launch:

Reactions: El Diablo

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
the dsc is easy to tame, just press the button, and it's off! You will always be a little faster with some slip, be it on a wet or dry track, and the dsc just doesn't allow for that. It just clamps down on the brakes and shuts down the throttle. The e39's generation of dsc just doesn't allow for anything.

I generally agree with what you're saying, smoother is faster. When i instruct at a bmw track event, i always want my novice students (and even more advanced ones) do at least a couple sessions with the dsc on, so we can note where on the track it's kicking in. These are generally the areas we'll really need to work on smoothness at.
I'm just not that good of a driver of the beast yet to feel comfortable doing that. I agree, though, that taking it off would allow a more advanced driver to go faster. One of these days, I might get to that level of ability in the beast. I did on a motorcycle.

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
At last ...........someone who understands my post...Tyre tread also comes into the DSC thing too..........Mine are very low now so its more of a challenge.....similar to an F1 car on its last few laps !!!!!!!........cheers Mike S
Agreed on tyre (or tire, for us Yanks) tread condition. My tires are still in good shape so I have that much extra grip to play with.

On my motorcycle, slicks were the way to go for maximum handling and grip. I assume it would be the same for the beast. Wonder where I get some slicks?

Cheers.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

Hi Mike...your last 2 lines are exactly what I'm getting at ! Work on these areas where the DSC kicks in by being smmmmooooth and when I get to the stage for DSC OFF I should be making some serious progress...............this is turning out to be an interesting thread thanks to all so far for posting.....trying to get to know my E39ers better ! Next weeks conversational point is the SPORT button.............

·
10,456 Posts
Next weeks conversational point is the SPORT button.............
why wait until next week! I practically never use the sport button.
I like the throttle modulation on "normal" better, though i will admit that it's easier to 'heel and toe' with sport on.

·
8,369 Posts
Just be extremely careful and go easy on your beast once you turn your DSC off especially on public roads. There are many posts about DSC here.

400 horsepower is a lot of power and anyone can easily get hurt if they dont have the proper driving skills, the discipline or the respect for the beast.

Believe me, I learned from experience and luckily I was not hurt and no one around got hurt and the beast is fine (I turned 180 degrees on my own. Pressed the gas pedal a little too hard while turning left, tires not fully warmed up, Beast turned 180 degrees and landed on the dirt).

Like Mottati said - learn to regulate the throttle.

I'm just not that good of a driver of the beast yet to feel comfortable doing that. I agree, though, that taking it off would allow a more advanced driver to go faster. One of these days, I might get to that level of ability in the beast. I did on a motorcycle.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I like the throttle modulation on "normal" better, though i will admit that it's easier to 'heel and toe' with sport on.[/quot

I too like the throttle feel and steering feel more with sport off but then again I haven't driven her at warp speeds on track so I cant really say.......the car does feel raring to go with sport button on though and the steering really weights up significantly.........what you have to remember at all times is that you can light the rears up in the dry soooooo much easier than in my E34 M5........

·
Registered
3,566 Posts
...What are all your thoughts on this DSC thing !
-I pretty much never drive with my DSC on. There are advantages to being able to slide a car past the BMW-intended slip angles. If not for that I might well have ended up with frame damage during my guardrail "incident" instead of just extensive cosmetic damage. And DSC sure as hell wouldn't have helped me avoid the rail in the first place - physics is physics and driver error can counteract any electronics in some scenarios ouich I've avoided several vehicles during normal driving because I was able to pivot the car outside of DSC parameters. But I'm a big believer in educating the driver, not using the car to take away his options. BMW DSC is not too bad, especially in the E60 generation and newer. It's mostly systems like adaptive cruise control, panic brake assist and blindspot detection that really get me pissed. Go drive you M5 in the rain with the DSC off. Learn to slide and catch it (at SLOW speeds, say around an industrial area late at night). If this builds your confidence, more power to you. If not, drive with DSC on. Ultimately it's a personal choice.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
I like the throttle modulation on "normal" better, though i will admit that it's easier to 'heel and toe' with sport on.

Me too but for different reasons. I like to have a button that makes the car a bit more of a beast then to have a button that reduces the urgency of the car and if you drive with sport mode on all the time thats what you have.
I have to admit that I am losing the battle with the dsc a bit because I need new rear tires (next week).
I have been eyeing up this new supermarket car park an maybe this weekend I will have a little fun before the new rubber gets installed.
:p

·
Registered
12,890 Posts
Great discussion about smoothness and car control.

I have found that the settings for the BMW DSC on our cars is simply too conservative. In other words, DSC cuts in too early. As motatti noted, a little slip is a good thing.

When having my diff redone, I had the lockup characteristics changed. It had the practical effect of moving the DSC limits much higher since there is less wheel slip and it is countered quicker, so less DSC intervention.

As a result, I leave DSC on almost all the time and rarely see the DSC light up.

So if you are swapping diffs for Dinan or Evosport, etc, consider having them increase dynamic and static lockup at the same time (cost effective). It made a world of difference for me. :cheers:
Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
I'm about 50-50 on sport button use. When I'm driving by myself, I'll turn it on and I do like the quicker throttle response. As Mike said, it's useful for heel-toe practice (which I always seem to need).

But when I'm with the family, I usually leave Sport off and just cruise. Albeit in a very powerful sort of way. :)

I am going to get out after our next rain and play with the DSC off. I live about 20 minutes from Texas Motor Speedway and they have quite a parking lot/ring roads to play on. They're pretty cool about it, as long as you don't go crazy.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts