BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the best and safest way to increase Torque on a 3.8 if any?

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
Engine torque or rear-wheel torque? Turbo/supercharge it to get lots of torque from the engine, or change the gearing to get more torque at the wheels.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
BURTON said:
What is the best and safest way to increase Torque on a 3.8 if any?
--------------------

Schrick cams and a UNICHIP with 2 of the 3 catalytic monoliths replaced from each bank of cats.

Cams x2 1180gbp bmw
cams install 500gbp bmw
UNICHIP 450gbp xerius racing
Cat work 125gbp katalysator teknik
-------------
total 2255gbp

around 370hp and 420nm.

I didnt get much more torque, as the cams do not give torque but horsepower. So I would say get a UNICHIP installed and remove some catalyst material if you want cheap and reliable torque.

The UNICHIP will probably take all day and its done on a dyno. My guy took his time and did a brilliant job, same roughness at idle, but I feel the car picks up at 1800rpm ish, you really notice it then.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Jahangeer said:
a picture of my Schrick cam - the other one is outside of the picture ...ahem.

As you can see Schrick employs Umpa Lumpaas to give that great finish to an excellent product.

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Interesting and thanks for the info. Mmmm-Five thats a interesting thought.. But would a supercharger add stress to the engine?! Different Gearing sounds good. From the gearbox or Diff or both?

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Jahangeer said:
a picture of my Schrick cam - the other one is outside of the picture ...ahem.
I had one of those in mine. Great torque but a little heavy. Made the car a little too much front wheel biased. In fact, to be honest, it gave a whole new meaning to the word understeer :biggrin:

:cheers:

ralph (vadas1)

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
BURTON said:
Interesting and thanks for the info. Mmmm-Five thats a interesting thought.. But would a supercharger add stress to the engine?! Different Gearing sounds good. From the gearbox or Diff or both?
-----------

I think its just the diff you need to change, someone in the US has already done this. I think Rob Levinson.

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
Anything you do to increase the power or torque will increase the stress on the engine - just depends how much extra 'worry' you're willing to stand ;)

·
Registered
546 Posts
Changing the differential will also reduce top end speed. For real gains you need forced induction, and yes it will stress the motor.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
You get a little bit of rattle apparently with a lighter fly wheel on the E34 M5, I assume the opposite would be perhaps more clutch wear and tear with a heavier fly wheel, not sure what it would do for accelleration though?

Any engineers out there please chip in, I know you are out there?

Guys - there are loads of options to tune the S38, you can send off your head to various companies for porting and polishing and all the tougher springs, valves, retainers, etc. It costs a bomb. Believe me the best most reeliable way to go is the cams, dont take my word for it - Rob Levinsson has done it too and is also happy with it. I have also asked about crank rebalancing - and the reply as normal is - leave it - BMW did a fantastic job originally with these cars.

In my opinion its better to turn ones attention to the chassis, ie a simple set of HR springs makes the car so much nicer to drive, admittedly you will feel the bumps a bit more, but my when its a smooth fast road - it will put a smile on your face.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Stevie said:
Hihi, Schrik cranckshaft I hope............... BIG S.O.A.B.......
--------------

yep thats what I meant, killjoy! hiha

·
Registered
133 Posts
Schrick Cams, adjustable or at least different cam gears, adjustable fuel preasure reg., Unichip, unstuff your cats. a bit and 4.10 gears in the rear(if you have a 5 speed) or 3.38/3.46 gears(if you have a 6 speed)....... :noSMG:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts