BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
guys i need help & guess it's time. silver grey/blk should be here within 45 days. problem is i'm very happy with my CLS55 & honestly i think it looks better than M5.

let's see how good u guys are. talk me into it will ya!

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
20C4S said:
guys i need help & guess it's time. silver grey/blk should be here within 45 days. problem is i'm very happy with my CLS55 & honestly i think it looks better than M5.

Either you lust for this car, or you don't. You shouldn't have to be talked in to it. If you are not completely obsessed with it, then keep your AMG. That is a super nice car, too. But there is something about the M5 that gets in your blood. It is truly a "drivers" car.

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
If you havent seen one in person i suggest you do that. Should be more than enough convincing. But I agree, you either lust after it or you dont.

·
Registered
361 Posts
I went through the same thing and decided to take the chance on the M5. The difference is huge. They are very different cars. Neither is better than the other. Having had 2 E55's and then the CLS55, I can relate to your dilemma. The CLS is a quicker car in "real world" situations. Punch it, and it goes like stink. The M5 requires more thought...you need to change gears and make sure you're in 500HP mode (which I almost always am). The M5 requires the right RPM or it isn't going to "go". The performance is basically the same when the M5 is primed.

The handling is also pretty much the same, however, the M5 "feels" more tossable and more nimble. The BMW has a much better feel, but the true handling capabilites are very similar. The M5 is a much more fun driving experience compared to the CLS because it feels much more like a sports car, but all in all, the performance is very comparable.

Where the BMW really shines for me is in the interior. This is the last area where I thought the BMW would win, but for me, the BMW is just better. Again, a lot of this comes down to the feel and BMW knows how to engineer the right feel in both drive and touch.

I do not miss the CLS at all. I agree, it is sexier, but the looks of the BMW have grown on me in a big way. My only gripe in that regard is the lack of exclusivity. I see a ton of 5 series everyday and to the avg person, the M5 is another 530 (with nicer wheels). Only "car people" wil notice the differences. The CLS suffers then same fate, but the CLS500 is still a rare sight compared to a 5 series.

All I can say is that I was in your shoes and I have no regrets whatsoever that I made the move. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Here are the pics from mine that just got shipped from FL. Great color combo. I had the chace to see this Silvergrey in person on another M5. Car looked great and sounds awesome. Can't wait to get it!!!

Speaks for itself!!:wroom:

·
Registered
361 Posts
The 403 miles to empty made me crack up...that must be KMs! The gas mileage is one big negative I forgot to mention in my post.

·
Registered
184 Posts
That made no sense to me either!!:M5launch: What are you getting on a full tank?

·
Registered
218 Posts
jkrutch said:
The 403 miles to empty made me crack up...that must be KMs! The gas mileage is one big negative I forgot to mention in my post.
The miles to empty calculation is based on the computer's MPG calculation. When mine was new it showed 459 - which REALLY cracked me up. After a bit of driving this will re-adjust to something more realistic as the computer finds the real measure of the thirst of the beast.

Kuma - your pics made me go check my garage to make sure mine was still there - SG over black is awesome!

·
Registered
172 Posts
Arling if it was anybody else. I would talk you into one. you!!!! forget it. M5's main selling point to me is because its more sporty then the
CLS both in handling and in driving experience.. if you crave for sporty that day. any of your other cars would do the trick better then the M5. keep the CLS because it's sexier and more luxurious on the long drives. honestly. that's what would do.

·
Registered
3,176 Posts
Pick up January 2006 issue of Car & Driver.

It compares the MB CLS55 vs. Caddy STS-V vs. BMW M5.

Read why CLS55 came in 3rd Place, STS-V came in 2nd Place and
M5 came in 1st Place, again.:1:

·
Registered
112 Posts
FYI, the answer for me was rather simple, I never liked the way Mercedes handled, it just feel like a steering a ship through a crowded channel.

Dj

20C4S said:

·
Registered
149 Posts
jkrutch said:
I went through the same thing and decided to take the chance on the M5. The difference is huge. They are very different cars. Neither is better than the other. Having had 2 E55's and then the CLS55, I can relate to your dilemma. The CLS is a quicker car in "real world" situations. Punch it, and it goes like stink. The M5 requires more thought...you need to change gears and make sure you're in 500HP mode (which I almost always am). The M5 requires the right RPM or it isn't going to "go". The performance is basically the same when the M5 is primed.

The handling is also pretty much the same, however, the M5 "feels" more tossable and more nimble. The BMW has a much better feel, but the true handling capabilites are very similar. The M5 is a much more fun driving experience compared to the CLS because it feels much more like a sports car, but all in all, the performance is very comparable.

Where the BMW really shines for me is in the interior. This is the last area where I thought the BMW would win, but for me, the BMW is just better. Again, a lot of this comes down to the feel and BMW knows how to engineer the right feel in both drive and touch.

I do not miss the CLS at all. I agree, it is sexier, but the looks of the BMW have grown on me in a big way. My only gripe in that regard is the lack of exclusivity. I see a ton of 5 series everyday and to the avg person, the M5 is another 530 (with nicer wheels). Only "car people" wil notice the differences. The CLS suffers then same fate, but the CLS500 is still a rare sight compared to a 5 series.

All I can say is that I was in your shoes and I have no regrets whatsoever that I made the move. Hope this helps.
Hello jkrtutch. What a great post on the compo b/w CLS55 and the M5 -------- the most honest and accurate (M5 v. CLS55 compo) I have ever read. The M5 is a great car, and in most respects, one of the all time greats, at least in terms of performance value. But let's be real; all cars have compromises. But most M5 owners are too "SACRILIGIOUS" and fail to ADMIT the faults/limitations of the M5. I just had to say it because, honest guys like you are rare to find. The M5 is a GREAT car, but it has some real "MATERIAL" faults (more like limitations though), and M5 fans need to admit them --------- and hopefully, BMW will recognize and fix them. But jJrutch, I believe you are the perfect BMW TEST customer (fan, but not blinded) and a great M5Board member. Keep up your honesty some of us (and BMW, trust me) have been quielty watching -------- BMW didn't just come upwith an SMG trans from the clear blue sky ------------- they listened to customers like you. I believe they are on the right track, albeit a few tweaks cos the the SMG III needs some tweaking/upgrades to make it a true AUTO and MANUAL as intended. I do belive for the purpose of the M5 (Luxury SPORT SEDAN or 4Door SPORTS CAR --- take your argument) the SMG trans is BY FAR SUPERIOR to the best manual transmission no matter how smooth the manual is; but that is a discussion for another thread. jkrutch, THANK YOU SO MUCH ---------------- never met you, don't know you but your honesty and REALITY SPEAK is truly APPRECIATED by one, at least. Happy New Year. Cheers.:byebye:

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
Give me a break Arling :1: You know you're going to trade the Merc in weeks anyway. You'll be onto the next car before the M5 is broken in!:biggrin:

Get yourself into a Remington 1100 small bore comp model, remove the plug and go to the range and keep pulling the trigger until it's empty. That's what this car feels like when it's broken in! Bang! X6 and ooops! I'm doing 200 kph!

·
Registered
51 Posts
the real difference is you will never see someone driving an M5 that is not really into cars and appreciates the driving experience. Unfortunately you see many people driving the AMG line just because they can afford one. I have rarely if ever seen a really dirty M series car but nasty AMG's are not uncommon.

·
Registered
434 Posts
427bob said:
the real difference is you will never see someone driving an M5 that is not really into cars and appreciates the driving experience. Unfortunately you see many people driving the AMG line just because they can afford one. I have rarely if ever seen a really dirty M series car but nasty AMG's are not uncommon.
This is one that I can relate to. We certainly can't generalize to all M drivers or all AMG drivers but I'm sure the majority falls into these camps.

Every M driver I've ever met was a passionate driver and enthusiust, or at least headed in that direction.

I've been in AMG cars with guys who've never looked under the hood and who would have trouble keeping up with my mom driving a stick GTI on a track - and she's 69.

The M5 is stealth and may only be recognized by enthusiusts. To us enthusiusts that is a plus and major reason to buy. Not a negative.

JMHO.

Cheers.

·
Registered
722 Posts
20C4S said:

You guys sometimes crack me up.

The CLS55 and M5 are both very good but very different cars, and each enjoyable its own particular way. The better choice for one owner may not be the better choice for another. I agonized for at least 9 months over which of these two cars to buy, because I plan to own for at least 5 years. I chose the M5 with a 7-yr/100,000-mile extended warranty. I think I made the better personal choice.

However, I'm responding to a post from someone, who owns and very much likes a CLS55 that couldn't be more than a year old, and who therefore doesn't appear to mind turning over such cars rapidly. In that circumstance, go ahead and own both cars, then sell the one you like least. Alternatively, trade the CLS55 in for the M5, and then trade the M5 in for the CLS63 AMG next year.

Richard

·
Registered
532 Posts
Agree with Jkrutch, very nicely put...
These 2 cars were on my final list and i lusted over the CLS55 quite a bit but in the end the M5 won because of the involving driving experience and really the level of technology including that glorious V10 jewel. If none of these things are that important to you then stay with the CLS55; the M5 has to be very well driven to beat the CLS55 in terms of outright numbers (more so at low speeds than above 100 mph) and it is easier to drive and handles pretty well. One last thing, i kind of felt that the CLS55 was a little overdesigned just for the sake of design (design over function really), it was a little claustrophobic and a little high sill short window which kind of botherd ingress.egress even for someone like me who is 5'8".
Doing it all over again, would still go with M5, even though it is more work to extract max performance (which is really the whole idea and part of the fun):thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
About this Discussion
22 Replies
18 Participants
Yaninnya
BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums
M5Board is the best forum community for information on the BMW M5 E60 (V-10), E39 (V-8), E34 (straight 6), E28, F90 and F10. Discuss performance, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing