BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So what should I do upon taking delivery next week. Are there programmable key functions like automatically retracting mirrors that I should/can get done at that time. So far I have asked the dealer to NOT wash the car as last time. Sapphire black and they permanently scratched the paint last delivery. I also remember that there were some functions for comfort access that are dealer programmable....any tips on this would be helpful. Other than that I plan on video/photo for the entire experience. As dumb as it sounds I will do it anyway for fun and general goofiness.

What else? Any tips?

·
Registered
458 Posts
Get the dealer to program the auto call feature (this contacts the service center of your choice through the BMW network). It'll contact service whenever there's an unsolvable problem via the driver and/or when you need an oil change, system check, etc.

·
Registered
8,300 Posts
MY PEOPLE, called me ahead of time and asked me all about how i wanted all the settings done...BMW has a form for this and the dealer should call you......idiots and loosers.
What makes it worse, they prolly don't even know how to set them anyways...

Reactions: BD 997 and Yumemaru

·
Registered
4,404 Posts
If you are not going to use the front plate. Make sure to specifically tell them not to mount the frame. My guys left it in the trunk, but many (or most) will just put it on if not told otherwise.

Reactions: BD 997 and Yumemaru

·
Registered
8,300 Posts
OH ya good Andrew, ...AND NO DEALER sticker !!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
4,404 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
If you are not going to use the front plate. Make sure to specifically tell them not to mount the frame. My guys left it in the trunk, but many (or most) will just put it on if not told otherwise.
+1, Make sure they do not pre-drill the holes in your bumper. I had to hound my dealer in Princeton to make sure they did not do this.

From what I hear NYPD has been cracking down on people without front plates. My best friend drives an SL55 with no front plate and has a few tickets to show for it. I'm not in the city much anymore so I wouldn't know, nor do I have NY plates (here in Jersey I haven't gotten any crap about not having a front plate in forever).

·
Premium Member
2,217 Posts
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/1C28 Safari/419.3)

tell them to also
not gas it up.. it consists of ripping it to the gas station and back.

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
Tips?... hmmm ok... Take some Benadryl at night...it will help you sleep. It sure helped me on those hard to sleep nights :)

·
Registered
75 Posts
Even if you need to have a front plate, don't have them put it on until your temporary permit has expired.

You will want to ask your sales person for a quart or two of oil. Your sales person won't have a problem getting you a couple of quarts when you're dropping off a $80k+ check. Many of us have been unable to get free oil for topping off from our service advisers.

If you haven't already, get the online PDF of the owner's manual and read through it ahead of time.

Don't stress over what modes to put the car in. All are fine from day one as long as you don't exceed the RPM and speed maximums listed in the manual. Try them all and experience the differences.

Have them go through setting up the BMW assistance feature.

I had my sales person set the M button to P500S, P6, and DSC to Normal as I sat in the car and watched her.

Get a good night's sleep. You're going to spend a bit of time bonding that first day.

Welcome to the family.

·
Registered
700 Posts
and no matter how many 350z's that taunt you on your way home... don't show them who's boss... at least yet... not for the first 1500miles...

·
Registered
538 Posts
...Are there programmable key functions like automatically retracting mirrors that I should/can get done at that time...
...BMW has a form for this and the dealer should call you......idiots and loosers.
What makes it worse, they prolly don't even know how to set them anyways...
Does anyone know off-hand what the dealer programmable option are? They never asked and on my E39 M5 I do remember the form and I think the only thing that mattered was the daytime running lights (seems to be just the halos on the E60) & key memory which on the 2008 are both programmable through idrive

·
Registered
8,300 Posts
Lights, door locks,...i forget the rest.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Both seem to be set through idrive on the 2008. Is retracting the mirrors when locking the car an option (not that I know if I want it)?
Doubt it on the mirrors; or maybe I haven't looked hard enough. Not a big deal though because it's a button push away. I swear, anticipating the delivery of this Phucking car was like waiting for your wife/girl to give birth. The day of arrival you get the shakes, get queezy, nervous high, accelerated pulse. I agree with BD 997; benadryl and/or lunesta at night for the insomnia and some good smoke (preferrably kush/haze/arangatang) during the day to calm the nerves.

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
Doubt it on the mirrors; or maybe I haven't looked hard enough. Not a big deal though because it's a button push away. I swear, anticipating the delivery of this Phucking car was like waiting for your wife/girl to give birth. The day of arrival you get the shakes, get queezy, nervous high, accelerated pulse. I agree with BD 997; benadryl and/or lunesta at night for the insomnia and some good smoke (preferrably kush/haze/arangatang) during the day to calm the nerves.
you can program the mirrors to fold everytime but they say it will burn out the mechanism from to much activation....yawnnnn

·
Registered
218 Posts
Don't forget to sign up for the free 1 day M School in south Carolina. My dealer barely knew about it. They didn't have the forms, etc. It wasn't even included in the ton of papers I got. Good luck, and enjoy it!

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
Pictures.

Also how do you drive in Manahatten with an M6? Its like driving in Rome!

Reactions: Yumemaru
1 - 20 of 35 Posts